Codex books - reviews?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

Codex books - reviews?

Post by Fizz »

Hi all-

I'm sure someone here has checked out or uses the Codex books (Nordica, Celtarum, Slavorum, Classicum, Germania). What are your thought on them? What sort of nifty stuff (classes, gear, rules) are included? I've poked around online to learn more about them, but the only real reviews i can find are of Celtarum.

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Codex books - reviews?

Post by Captain_K »

I backed them all and I think there is great stuff in there.. I love Norse stuff. I just wished it fit tighter in with the base books without seeming so "outside".. not really outside, but something about them I can't quite articulate seems kind of different. Nice extra creatures, classes (not likely to use personally), spells, history is great, etc.

Anyway, worth getting the histories you like normally, buy one and see what you think, then buy the others as you see fit.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

From what I've skimmed through on all of the Codexes, they give you a real feel for the culture and social organization of the region being addressed. Given the day job of the author, this is not surprising in the least. They stand head and shoulders above the 2e splat book era stuff.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I've got all of them but have read some more thoroughly than others. They've got some interesting new monsters (krampus, for example), classes, spells, and abilities. I've imported a few things into my game from them so far. The writing itself can be dense, especially the historical background material. It depends upon how "realistic" you want your setting to be. Much of that material can be skimmed or skipped. I've never played with anyone who really cared about things like historical accuracy in their fantasy games.

The slayer classes in the Codex Germanium are pretty interesting, as is the witch, which makes a great NPC villain. There are some interesting abilities in the Celtic one that I use. And if you like various kinds of fey creatures, you'll like them, since they all seem to have some of these.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I love Norse history so I weave it into the story and the back ground. I wish he would stick with classic English spellings next to more accurate language "spellings", but other than that I agree, great detail, rich.. but most of my PCs never relize that Brock is a famous (historic) dwarf of legend.. they might recall that Brock's Bridge was magical and dwarven made.... or that Andivari was a top magic item forging dwarf.. of the first people... oh well, I know, I think its cool and I'm writing things for me and if they get it, great if not, so be it.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Mostly only use them to prop up my notes.

I'm not interested in a pseudo-historical game or one based on actual myth. My game makes its own.

What I do tend to use from the books are some words, some magic stuff, and maybe a creature here and there though I mostly just make all of my own.

Hell, I don't even use M&T and it says I wrote it.