Monday night Ne'er do wells 1 off games

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
RhiannonMM
Ungern

Re: Monday night Ne'er do wells 1 off games

Post by RhiannonMM »

Edited my first entry in The Crusades forum to reflect which headlines I've latched onto. I have more thoughts on some but thought I would tackle the two biggest hooks to my mind. Red Herrings or not.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

RhiannonMM wrote:Edited my first entry in The Crusades forum to reflect which headlines I've latched onto. I have more thoughts on some but thought I would tackle the two biggest hooks to my mind. Red Herrings or not.

Rgr that

In the words of my late father "kick that brush and we will chase the rabbits that run out"
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I might not make it tonight. My internet is hard down at my house. It went down Saturday am I guess due to the local provider upgrading their hardware.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:I might not make it tonight. My internet is hard down at my house. It went down Saturday am I guess due to the local provider upgrading their hardware.
Well, hopefully they will have it fixed by the end of today. If not, we will run my Victorious. Hopefully you at least get cell signal and can be in at least SKYPE.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, it seems to be up for now ...

If it is up at game time I'll run the 'one off'

If it goes back down ... you all know what Roger was planning on doing

C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Alas, I gotta skip out tonight. Liz and I are busy as bees getting ready for the con (new costumes). <G>

Feel free to either use Thermodyne as a NPC (kinda mercenary) or leave her out until next time.

Have fun!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm out tonight. I have to get up at 5 am tomorrow for the senior class trip.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ozmodius says he is willing to play Mikes character. Or Rigons.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Miracle of medicals ... the internet is up and working at full speed no issues ...

not a problem on no show, I can easily modify the fight for who ever shows .

Enjoy the costuming and the Sr Tripping !

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Ozmodius says he is willing to play Mikes character. Or Rigons.

Ha, must have hit enter at the same time

The more the merrier ... which ever he wants to play is fine by me. It is going to be a fight and both have offensive capabilities so both should be good to go. Rigon's is a little less random on the powers so it may be easier to play as his first Victorious run, but both should be easy enough to pick up and run with

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:Ozmodius says he is willing to play Mikes character. Or Rigons.

Ha, must have hit enter at the same time

The more the merrier ... which ever he wants to play is fine by me. It is going to be a fight and both have offensive capabilities so both should be good to go. Rigon's is a little less random on the powers so it may be easier to play as his first Victorious run, but both should be easy enough to pick up and run with

He had to back out. Wife informed him of some chores he had been ignoring needed to be done, now. :lol:

RhiannonMM
Ungern

Post by RhiannonMM »

Again Good session everyone. :)

Nice Summary Maximus! I look forward to reading more. I posted my own as well. I don't have too much opportunity to RP some of my drawbacks, so I figured I would take the summaries as an opportunity to begin tackling them.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

RhiannonMM wrote:Again Good session everyone. :)

Nice Summary Maximus! I look forward to reading more. I posted my own as well. I don't have too much opportunity to RP some of my drawbacks, so I figured I would take the summaries as an opportunity to begin tackling them.
Thanks! That's my first try at a game summary. I took some notes during the session to help out. Les's, Gabe's, and yours are very well thought out. I'll keep working at it. Monday was a good opportunity to expand the character. I think it went well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Like I said in the other thread, it wasn't the fight I planned on, but you all did succeed on the mission at hand.

Since I don't know when we will play next, and I don't know where in the story arc the girls will be so I don't know the side bar you will be on, here you go on the affects of what you all did.

You all will find this info out over a few days after talking with 'Baby Blue' listen to the news and using your own contacts

After you call the feds, 20 to 30 min later about a half mile a way, there is a shooting of homeless (3 dead) and a fire that gutted an old strip mall that the homeless were squatting in (diverts the cops that the feds sent to verify the anonymous tip by an hour)

The Feds do show before sun rise, find the security guard in the van, shot dead, and signs of what they say is a 'gang turf war' with the offices in the ware house being tossed. Some drug paraphilia being found - justifying the reaction to the tip - but not near what you all saw.

The 2 gang thugs you got the pictures of were arrested for grand theft auto, trafficking and distribution of drugs (they were found with some of the opioids and pain meds that were stolen)

- the vans; the van company reported 6 vans stolen from the various 4 sites that had the vans - somehow didn't notice they were missing until questioned by the police

The manager of the warehouse is in the hospital on life support form a severe stroke that happened 3 weeks ago

The drugs you took from the ware house were all normal medicine. Some prescription some over the counter. Nothing of any street value

The phone call you recorded showed the gang members talking about random stuff (the local police anti gang and anti drug task forces do get some useful background information off it) and then about 5 min after the time the shots are reported for the 3 killed homeless, a 3rd voice comes in, says "it is hot here, a call has been made, you know what to do", then noises of boxes moving etc etc etc, then a few min later there is yells and shots -

no blood in the ware house no wounded reported, only the security guard is found dead, shot in the back of the head & striped necked

I will assume with your combined abilities resources, etc you put together

Over the next week, 5 other security guards die ... 1 a heart attack, 1 a car wreck, 1 stopping an attempted mugging, 1 a suicide, the last ... just disappeared (you are not sure he is dead)

There was NO security video from the ware house, no dvr, no computer with the video down load, and somehow a few days after the raid, the high end cameras you know were there, were replaced with old, out dated. broken cameras. The cops don't notice or really care

Over the next week,

Eva is invited to go with a reporter to meet Loyd Wolfe at his house - you meet and talk a lot with his wife - he is late to the interview - his wife makes fun of him that a general has 5 people to make sure he is on time where he is supposed to be, and now .... - it is shocking to see his house and meet his wife, the house looks like a normal high end house on the outside, but on the inside, it is vibrant - his wife is Hispanic and highly educated

Sam is given an opportunity to participate as navigator on a local road rally, and has contacts for upgrades to your car in the future

Phineas , you are introduced to a couple of local history and philosophy professors , and are given a couple of easy guest professor lectures and discussion groups - easy money a few more contacts

Lukos, you meet a local low 30 year old female martial art instructor - teaches mix of Brazilian jiu-jitsu , judo, Karate and other stiles - she trains with you and compares your training to a Krav Maga style with variations. Her skill is better than yours but she doesn't have as impressive powers as you do - she helps a lot of the local under privileged kids at a reduced price (to free)

Owen is invited to a 'by invite only' hunt, with local veterans, big name hunters, etc - you have more contacts

Oh yeah

Lukos, Phineas, & Eva each got a victory point from the last 2 games

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

So I know we are down at least 2 Monday, maybe 3 if Rhian is with Tree.

I'll run if we have at least 3 show. If not, again you all have a good week.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I plan on being there

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhi should be able to make it. Heck, I might be able to make it, depending on what my son does Monday evening.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I should be there, barring weirdness...

Mike, who never counts out Weirdness(TM)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Mike

Hope all is well with your family emergency!

Well, we had the first fight and everyone there got to use their powers and see how effective they will be.

The magic and the mental powers worked well with no issues.

The martial artist, my own creation, needs some tweaking. At least on how the effects work.

I think this will work:

Entangle - dex - range touch - the target must make a dex save or be immobilized (due to being in an arm bar, leg lock, etc). However unlike the normal entangle that lasts based on the difference between DC and failed save roll, the entangle last as long as the Martial artist maintains contact with the target. Once the martial artist releases the target he is stunned (see below) for 1d10 rounds minus the targets highest physical attribute bonus . Minimum of 2 rounds. To maintain contact the MA must use his attack, or one of his attacks if he has multiple attacks per round, and the opponent can attempt to break free with a dex save. If he does free himself he is still stunned as above. If the target has not freed himself in 1d4 plus his com modifier rounds, he must also begin to make con save to remain conscious.

Stun, requires a to hit attack, if it hits there is no damage as a normal attack, but the target makes the associated con save. If failed then the target is stunned: initiative drops to last, or if it is above 10 due to speed super power etc then drops to the init order without the super power ; all rolls are at -4. If the MA has a stun of higher than 1 level, then the initiative goes to last even with super powers, and the rolls are at an additional -2 per power level

With these changes, I'd say it is worth at least 1 power point. Use it for increased damage on your MA attacks to 1d8 plus dex modifier

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Mike

Hope all is well with your family emergency!

Well, we had the first fight and everyone there got to use their powers and see how effective they will be.

The magic and the mental powers worked well with no issues.

The martial artist, my own creation, needs some tweaking. At least on how the effects work.

I think this will work:

Entangle - dex - range touch - the target must make a dex save or be immobilized (due to being in an arm bar, leg lock, etc). However unlike the normal entangle that lasts based on the difference between DC and failed save roll, the entangle last as long as the Martial artist maintains contact with the target. Once the martial artist releases the target he is stunned (see below) for 1d10 rounds minus the targets highest physical attribute bonus . Minimum of 2 rounds. To maintain contact the MA must use his attack, or one of his attacks if he has multiple attacks per round, and the opponent can attempt to break free with a dex save. If he does free himself he is still stunned as above. If the target has not freed himself in 1d4 plus his com modifier rounds, he must also begin to make con save to remain conscious.

Stun, requires a to hit attack, if it hits there is no damage as a normal attack, but the target makes the associated con save. If failed then the target is stunned: initiative drops to last, or if it is above 10 due to speed super power etc then drops to the init order without the super power ; all rolls are at -4. If the MA has a stun of higher than 1 level, then the initiative goes to last even with super powers, and the rolls are at an additional -2 per power level

With these changes, I'd say it is worth at least 1 power point. Use it for increased damage on your MA attacks to 1d8 plus dex modifier
I bet that big PDF in the Mutants and Masterminds 3E Humble Bundle right now would give a ton of helpful material to use as guidelines for a supers Martial Artist.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Sorry Lurker, I just want to assure you I'm not avoiding your one-offs!

Mike

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Stun

Post by DMMike »

...or you could just buy "Might" to up the damage die of the MA? Entrap will work, but it seems like that should be some mystical daoist chi or something instead of the power everyone with a rank of MA gets to do!

Perhaps like Supernatural Powers, Martial Arts could have effects at higher ranks. Like rank 3 gives the Entrap ability, rank 4 or 5 the Stunning ability, etc.

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

I bet that big PDF in the Mutants and Masterminds 3E Humble Bundle right now would give a ton of helpful material to use as guidelines for a supers Martial Artist.
Ha, rgr, going to get it this weekend.

Now the question is how much of a kick back are you getting for pointing everyone their direction ?

Mike, rgr I understand on the missing the games. Real life gets in the way of the fun parts of life. Like I said, hope it is all well now,

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Before I forget - the back brief

You received a N. O. N. of an address - an old bankrupt closed abandoned business in a corner of low rent apartment building in the poverty stricken area of the city.

Eva did a basic passive electronic recon of the area to find basic info about the area, business and low rent apartments. Then called the team

Lukos checked the area around the diner and made sure no one was following him/setting up a recon on them.

Phineas used his mental spell on the bus to see if anyone was unduly focused on him. No one was, but one lady was spiking on worry and sadness about her husband- significantly more than normal. He remembered seeing her before wearing a 'Thin Blue Line' hoodie before. He followed her to a nursing home - had at one time been a more reputable home, but looks like recently it has been bought by new owners and they were skimping on paying for maintenance and up keep.

He did a recon around it and in the back saw a delivery van - medical supplies - with the delivery driver arguing with the home's pharmacist about the amount of drugs delivered. There was an over order of the drugs. They eventually left the drugs as ordered.

While Phineas was doing his side bar recon, the rest of the team at the dinner noticed 4 or 5 bikers - 1 % ers, with white supremacy markings - in the parking lot.

Phineas made it back from his recon (smartly used his magic to create an illusion to cover his retreat ) and they planned the recon/mission on the building.

The 3 did different types / places of recon on the building - found there was a basement below the business, drug dealers squatting at the business and dealing drugs out of the side street of the business - & Lukos had a run in with an old grandmother in the apartment, but also found out there was a back door in the alley way with the maintenance room for the building.

Lukos planned on going in the back door & everyone moved to a place they could rush in to help him if things went side ways.

While he was sneaking in, a nice SUV dropped off a back pack to the dealers selling out of the side door.

Lukos snuck in and made it down to the basement - past passed out druggies crashing in the business - saw 3 thugs and 2 of their girl friends (one in the shower) with the back pack on the table, and tried to miss direct them to give him a chance to sneak and get the back pack

Ill luck and the thugs loud music defeated his misdirection, so he sprinted in surprised the thugs and grabbed the back pack and started to sneak out. The thugs recovered from their surprise and started shooting at him as he sprinted up to the ground floor.

With the shots fired, the rest of the team (and the 2 drug dealers on the side street) sprinted into the business.

More shots fired, Phineas used his magic to disable one of the drug dealers, Eva used her mental powers to disable the other drug dealer, and then form a shield to help protect Phineas from more shots from the thugs chasing Lukos. Eva's camera man took a bullet into his body armor with little damage

Lukos started to run to the back door to turn off the lights and give everyone a chance to escape. However, one of the Thugs jumped up from basement floor - defiantly changed from his normal state - chemically enhanced with near super human physical attributes.

Lukos attacked the enhanced Thug and eventually stunned him enough for everyone to escape out the front. They ran down the street with yells and crashing echoing out of the business.

As they ran, Lukos check the back pack. nearly empty but one unmarked 'auto injector'

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

recap so I don't forget by the net time we play

You got a N O N of an unemployed mental drug addicted veteran

Reconed his apartment, the area around it and started picking up clues you weren't the only players in this game.

Broke in his house, verified heavy alcohol use and some drug use, no weapons, no computers, nothing showing he has ill intent (and was smart enough to take pictures - very good on that !!!)

Set in with patience to keep the recon going.

Narrowed down info on the target, came close to making contact wit him. However, the other players snatched him off the bus nearly under your noses.

Saw the police arrive (from an anonymous call of a terrorist threat) and find gun and bomb paraphernalia and a lap top with a weakly hidden electronic foot print that showed he was unstable, murderous, has a grudge against the government/police, and has been doing weapon training for 4+ months. - And one of you spent the evening till about midnight with the joy of being interviewed/interrogated by ATF/HLS.

Now where do you regroup to, and how to you get back on his trail ????

Again, hope you had fun, it is a build up to the combat next game.

I will say you all MUCKED UP the bad guys plans ! They had to modify their plan and even then run an audible to keep you all from catching them. They were professionals, but in key points they rolled well or you would have burned them more than just having pigeons fly off at sunset and causing their over watch to have to exfil, and having the gray car slow down and then speed off, and finding a cell phone in the bus seat. VERY NEARLY caught them there!

With that, everyone gets a victory point.

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Game update July 30 2018

You finally met face to face at least 1 of the operatives that are tied to the “Numbers of Note” – think about the initials of the name on the envelope and folder you saw in his messenger bag.

He provided ‘military grade’ – surplus so not the most state of the art current tier 1 military hardware – radios with 4 preprogramed channels & cryptology for local police – St Paul, Cincinnati, Sheriff, & SWAT – and 4 open channels you can program and use for personal

An upgraded hardwired scanner with hardened computer that can tap into St Paul & Cincinnati police channels and data based – up too sensitive information but not including Internal investigations nor undercover operations. It must be within 100 yards of a police communication point – police car, repeater, or building.

You saved the number of note that was kidnaped the previous night & the next day you turned him over to the police. He was on the border of drug overdose with a smorgasbord of drugs in his system (some you know he normally uses, others aren’t in his drug use history). When he comes too he is in a daze and doesn’t remember the last 3 days.

You stopped ???? something, you aren’t sure what was happening, but you did stop it.

From one of the bad guys you got a modified pistol & an upgraded tier 1 top notch state of the art military radio with the same channels your radios have plus 4 more preprogramed channels, and 2 open channels.

The echoes of the events

In over a month to 2, with your testimony and pictures you took of his apartment, and talking with his lawyer, he is acquitted from all charges except for drug related charges. He is given 5 years on the drug charges at a low security prison with a intensive drug addiction recovery program.

The ‘attack scene’ is cleaned before the police figure out to look at the van. The van is clean of finger prints etc , except for trace hair blood skin of your NoN target. The bullet holes are found (and the pedestrian reports and background noise of the reporters), show the 5 ish shots. But no bullets are recovered for ballistics. The CSI is confused by the 2 riffle holes in the sidewalk (shot from the sniper on the 4th floor) and think it was also from the pistols. The rope was removed and nothing lead the police to look into the 4th floor.

The car was eventually found, torched and not a source of intel when it is eventually found.

Life settles down for a while

Owen/The hunter, is invited to a demonstration of new technologies for the Department of Wildlife. Variations of shot gun slugs for humane and (relatively) harmless capture of animals, Specifically for water fowl. One shooting a small tangle net is interesting, and there were other variations. The focus is spreading out the ability to capture, tag, and track a wider verity of ducks and geese that the current netting of limited areas in use. Another thing you see is a ‘pepper’ ball for anti-bear use to protect wild life officers park rangers etc. You also meet a representative of ‘The FEW’ (Foundation of Exceptional Warriors) A group of injured ‘Special Operations’ prior military members that uses hunting and outdoors activities to support treatment for the military injuries.

Eva, you go to another technology expose and see a prior military small business - Lost his leg in combat. His business is personal security, and modifications of Tasers etc. Micronization of the taser and sub compact batteries high power, one use.

Everyone, on the next morning after saving your NoN, you all get a text from an unknown unlisted number – It was good to finally meet you face to face. Annabella was correct to suggest you handle this area. Good eyes, good spotting, and good paranoia, it can keep you alive.

You are all 2nd level now (even if you weren’t in the game). The Hunter got a Victory point, and you all vote on who else should get a 2nd.

C&C Society

RhiannonMM
Ungern

Post by RhiannonMM »

Lurker wrote: You are all 2nd level now (even if you weren’t in the game). The Hunter got a Victory point, and you all vote on who else should get a 2nd.
I vote Gabe, he's the one who dragged the guy we saved to safety. It takes guts to trust your team mates to cover your butt sometimes, especially when you are being shot at.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

RhiannonMM wrote:
Lurker wrote: You are all 2nd level now (even if you weren’t in the game). The Hunter got a Victory point, and you all vote on who else should get a 2nd.
I vote Gabe, he's the one who dragged the guy we saved to safety. It takes guts to trust your team mates to cover your butt sometimes, especially when you are being shot at.
I'll second that!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
RhiannonMM wrote:
I'll second that!
Thirded.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Aww shucks.

It occurred to me though that I was playing Lukos like Barlieg only without the head smashing.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com