What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Tadhg »

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.

Hilarious, interesting, fun read ~ if a little over the top. But then, that's mebbe the point of the novel. There are peeps who are ultra rich and in some ways, it's fun to read about their life style.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

balance00574
Henchman

Post by balance00574 »

I am reading brawling go manga. This is my favorite manga.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I recently finished another reread of the Dungeon World rulebook in preparation for a playtest on Saturday of one of my Gary Con events.

I'm working my way through Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master.

I started The Lies of Locke Lamora after hearing good things about it, but I'm not enjoying it so far. I'm about 8% of the way through. I liked the very beginning. The story is starting to drag now that the protagonist is an adult.

I spent the fall and early winter blitzing my way through Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels series of urban fantasy novels. They were very good except for the sex bits and the protagonist repeatedly talking about the way her boyfriend tastes when she kisses him. Those parts are fortunately few and far between.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Just finished the 2nd book in the trilogy by Kwan ~ China Rich Girlfriend. Fast paced, great writing and fun to read.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I hate to say that over time I've gotten further and further away from reading a lot and reading for fun. Read for work, read for learning, ready for Sunday school, but not for fun

However, today my mom had eye surgery for cataracts. So, I had some dead time in the waiting room and then at her home after I drove her home.

I used the time wisely, and returned to my first love .... JRRT "The Hobbit"

In the military I probably read it at least once every 3 or 4 years & had read it a few times before going in the military. So I have read it at least 7 or 8 times (maybe more) since picking it up the start of my 7th grade year.

That said, by the 2nd sentence of the book, I was back in Middle Earth, seeing the 'Hobbit Hole' hearing Bilbo "Good Daying" Gandalf ... I devoured it up to the point of the storm on the mountain side and making the choice to hide in the cave ...

Loved it and loved being back in feeling like I felt in 7th grade.

Can't wait till the evening chores and things are done and I can finish the book.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

jowick113
Henchman

Post by jowick113 »

I am reading brawling go manga. This is my favorite manga.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Tiamat's Wrath, book 8 in "The Expanse" series by James S.A. Corey. I flew through the first 7 books, 5 short stories, and the comic book, but am taking my time with this one since there are no more books yet. I understand there will be at least one more, but as this one only came out a couple of weeks ago, it won't be soon. The Expanse was also made into a tv show on Syfy, which is where I heard about it. Both book and show are excellent, IMHO.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Recently finished up “A more Beautiful Question” by Warren Berger and now half way through “Naked Statistics” by Charles Wheel.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline... people told me to read it, that I would enjoy it, years ago... they were right - I love the book! So much of my 80s upbringing is in that book!
~DMSamuel
---

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Peace Talks by Jim Butcher, the latest in the Dresden Files Series. It sort of felt like the middle book in a trilogy, even though this is #16 in the series (I think)

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

The Stone Sky, by N.K. Jemisin, the third book in the Broken Earth Trilogy. Excellent author and interesting science-fantasy story about the end of the world with moments of brilliance, but overall has been a challenging (if not rewarding) read.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Just finished reading One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence... it takes place in the 80s and the main characters play 1e DA&D... there is also time travel, a heist, and a tiny bit of character growth.
~DMSamuel
---

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

DMSamuel wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 pm
Just finished reading One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence... it takes place in the 80s and the main characters play 1e DA&D... there is also time travel, a heist, and a tiny bit of character growth.
This is a fantastic series, read them all, you won't regret it

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:22 am
dachda wrote:
RunningLaser wrote:I just started getting into the Richard Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Great stuff!
I'm a sucker for these too. Classic literature no, but good rousing adventure stories yes! Also the BBC show staring Sean Bean as Sharpe are great fun as well.
I enjoyed Cromwell's Grail Quest Series comprised of The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic.
I continued with Bernard Cornwell's 1356 novel and am now reading The Winter King.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I liked the Last Kingdom series a lot. How are Cornwell's other books so far?

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I enjoyed the Grail series and 1356. Cornwell does his research and breathes life into the setting and cultures.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

I audio book format, Treasure Island, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Kidnapped. I only read the second in Jr. High and never the other two before. I liked the first two but Kidnapped felt too much a story of its time.

old school gamer
Red Cap

Just read Mr. Monk goes to Hawaii. Yes I do occasionally like a good murder mystery.

old school gamer
Red Cap

AGNKim wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:24 am
One of the better books I have read in a while.

Rare occasion in which the book and the movie were pretty good. Although the book was better.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, this isn't what I'm reading. It is what my older daughter is reading.

The Hobbit.

It is good, but strange to see it.

It is the book that taught me to love to read. However, my elder daughter learned to love to read a few years ago. And it is not in the same flavor of books that I learned to love.

However, as she reads it, it is good to see the love that set the fire that was my love of reading too.

Its funny, she says it is like reading 3 pages about a leaf and how she can't get into it. However, as she is reading about the wood elves and the adventure, and then she is reading about Smaug, and her eyes light up (oh so good to see that kindled imagination on the dragon and dwarf greed and the adventure).

She still has no huge desire to play RPGs (she loves miniature war games and more concreate games than RPGs) but there is a ember burning there.

The flip side is her sister, no huge love to read (anything other than comics) and she doesn't like concrete games as much. However, there is a budding RPGer in her. Plus, she is m hunting buddy too.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

The wife has our youngest read to her and she then reads to her. I have the eldest read to me and then I read to her.

We have been steadily working through Wind in the Willows and all of the sequels (written by William Horwood). We are on to the last one he wrote, The Willows in Winter. She has loved hearing all the stories and especially what Toad gets up to each time!

I am re-reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (read years ago) so that I can move on to the two sequels which I've not read before.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

The Girl and the Stars by Mark Lawrence

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Conan of Cimmeria by Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Attachments
crisis-of-consciousness-9781476782614.jpg
crisis-of-consciousness-9781476782614.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I'm reading The Accursed Kings series. Good stuff! I'm ready to begin book 4.

The Accursed Kings (French: Les Rois Maudits) is a series of historical novels by French author Maurice Druon about the French monarchy in the 14th century. Published between 1955 and 1977, the series has been adapted as a miniseries twice for television in France.

Set during the reigns of the last five kings of the direct Capetian dynasty and the first two kings of the House of Valois, the series begins as the French King Philip the Fair, already surrounded by scandal and intrigue, brings a curse upon his family when he persecutes the Knights Templar. The succession of monarchs that follows leads France and England to the Hundred Years' War.

American author George R. R. Martin called The Accursed Kings "the original game of thrones", citing Druon's novels as an inspiration for his own series, A Song of Ice and Fire.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Currently on deck is:

Ozark Superstitions

The Secret Teaching of all Ages

The Book of Enoch

The Kybalion
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Just finished Imaro and Imaro 2: The Quest for Cush by Charles Saunders. Now reading Nyumbani Tales by Saunders, while waiting for the last two Imaro novels to come from Lulu.

Imaro is a Conan-esque character, but instead of a European-centric medieval world, Saunders, being African American, drew upon his knowledge of African myths and history, and placed his character into his fantasy African-centric medieval world. He also coined the term Sword and Soul, instead of Sword and Sorcery, to reflect the African viewpoint. Imaro is raised in a Massai type warrior tribe, but ends up wandering throughout his world.

If you enjoyed Conan, you will likely enjoy Imaro.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

The Compleat Enchanter: The Magical Misadventures of Harold Shea by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt

francisbaud
Skobbit

Post by francisbaud »

Principles of anatomy and physiology. It's very interesting how complex and harmonious ours bodies are.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Tons of stuff for work, as I'm a historian. But for fun, currently reading War of the Jewels by Tolkien, part of The History of Middle Earth series published by his son. Once I finish this, I will finally have read the whole damn series. Interesting on some levels, but kind of a slog on others. Definitely for the hardcore Tolkien fanboys. I decided to finish the last few volumes in the series after backing The One Ring 2nd edition RPG kickstarter. The game itself won't be released until November at the earliest but I had to satisfy my Tolkien urge.

And in the process of reading the books I was inspired to go back and update my own legendarium, which is how I gravitated back to C&C after a hiatus of a couple years. When I last did an overhaul of my lore & chronology, I was playing C&C pretty heavily. So it's fun to dive back in.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....