Dro Mandras?

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
Akrasia

Dro Mandras?

Post by Akrasia »

I vaguely recall reading about plans to describe the city of 'Dro Mandras' (first mentioned in DB1) in some future module or modules.

Is this likely to happen? Or will DB3 be the final instalment in the Karboskian series?

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I had heard a lot (12 or so) mods were to be created for the Haunted Highlands area.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Mr. Bowbe has said on a few occasions that there are more modules planned for the HH. MAtter of fact, Casey mentioned that Dro Madras would be planned as two seperate modules. However when he mentioned this, I'm pretty sure this was some thing in the extrememly ealy stages of development. I don't think we're going to see such a thing for a while.

...............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Well 12 modules seems like overkill IMO.

I'd be happy if it was just a 3 module run, although I certainly wouldn't object if Dro Mandras and one or two additional places were fleshed out.

I'm curious because I'd likely do it myself if the 3 modules were the complete series.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm trying to find the thread were Casey talks about what he has in store. I don't believe it is 12 books, I'm thinking somewhere in the neigborhood of 8. I'll keep looking.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I can't seem to find it, my search-fu must be off today.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Bowbe wrote
Quote:
Crater of Umeshti 1 and 2 should be out in the not too distant future and we already have a place for that to fit on the map, and tie ins included in those levels of the famed sinkhole have effects and folk in the HH who need the things uncovered in the sinkhole are already mixed right in!

The Same holds true for Dro Mandras 1 and 2 and other subsequent releases that will expand the map (both above and below ground) and most certainly give your characters a LOT more to do!

In this thread
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Treebore wrote
Quote:
Bowbe (Case) said it is going to be a 12 module series. We'll have to get him to CK it at the OK Con next March/April.

and

gideon_thorne wrote
Quote:
Its rather like the "A" series. 12 modules cumulating in a 13th hardback.

In this thread
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

I cant find anything from Bowbe himself on an exact number of mods for HH, but it sounds like quite a few are/were being planned.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thanks for the posts and info, Maliki. I could have sworn that Casey posted a detailed listing of the books yet to come.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Thanks for the posts and info, Maliki. I could have sworn that Casey posted a detailed listing of the books yet to come.

R-

He may have done it over on the Necromancer boards in the Tower of Jed. Forum.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
He may have done it over on the Necromancer boards in the Tower of Jed. Forum.

It would have been here or at DF. Those are the 2 or the 4 forums I visit regularly (the other two being the Keeper's Den and Raven's Keep).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK.

I'm sorry I am so senile in my old age. Case told me a bit of his plans at GenCon, but I can't recall any specifics.

Hopefully he'll have time to visit the boards this weekend.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Dro Mandras Et All, Or What I've Bee Working On

Post by Bowbe »

Hey Guys

Yeah other areas of the HH are fleshing out.

Several more layers of Crater of Umeshti (for the Sub-terranean adventurers)

and Dro Mandras and the Conquered West

Whats up with these?

Well Dro Mandras is a city but its an adventure. It assumes that half the city has fallen into the hands of Yorgach's unified Orc tribes and their allies (goblins, trolls, ogres) and half is free.

The first "Dro Mandras" Book gives you the free side of the city with lots of mini adventures you can do to "make a name for yourself".

The 2nd book lets you either save the city, or help destroy the free part (should you be evil and swing that way).

Both books are more or less finished but I ran into a bit of a conceptual snag. Ultimately I could :

A: Invoke the battles and warfare of the area through graphic prose and random encounters with different solutions to situations based on character actions.

B: Get off my ass, finish the C&C mass combat rules, and allow those to be fully integrated into the setting.

I chose to do both because I want everything to be as rich and fully fleshed as possible given the 24 page formula. I really don't want to turn in Dro Mandras and the Conquered West or Dwellers in the Darkness untill I have the mass combat book done. It is just too easy and just too cool to bring the possibilities of PCs embroiled in massive combat to the table.

Thus: Currently working on getting the mass combat rules completed. Should be done with them in the next week. Hopefully by this weekend, but its crazy hectic around here, as its tax season, wife works at a bank and she is doing mad overtime (so im doing more laundry/babysitting/cooking dinner chores than usual).

Whats up with these "Mass Combat Rules vs any other Crappy Mass Combat Rules?"

Well, they actually use the Siege Engine, vs. using some other bastard rules-set that is overly time consuming and boring as all get out for your players.

PCs get to be PCs. They run around and do things and are not confined to sitting in lines and ranks of warriors waiting to get fire-balled. (Unless thats what you want them to do). The rules are combat narrative friendly and offer plenty of opportunities to actually ROLE Play. My home group are hardcore 3.5, hardcore Warhammer players. They have tested these rules and totally dig them because they use rules, magic, and other elements that they are familiar with as regular fantasy RPGers.

When i say "in the next week" I mean I have about 15,000 words typed on a 20,000 word document. I have everything broken out into chapters with all the juicy tidbits that I wanted to include so that the system works seamlessly with the normal Siege Engine. (I think most of you will really dig how this works and where I went with it). I could have it done tomorrow... I could have it done Sunday, or It could be next week.

I really have to thank Michael Proteau for all his help in coaxing me back into finishing this thing, and for his very awesome solution to the one thing that had me bogged down from getting to the finish line on these rules.

But... there is something else! Since Michael and I have been kibbitzing back and forth about the Haunted Highlands setting I had another really cool idea while I was sitting at my day job.

Soo Michael and I have about another 15,000 words already finished on ANOTHER book to enhance not only your HH campaign, but your C&C game in general! I won't say much more on that 2nd book untill we have it finished and turned in to the Trolls, but woowee! It's hot. And no it isn't more monsters (Yet)

Red Hot.

Case

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thanks fo rthe heads up, Case. Just one question, will the mass combat rules be a part of HH or will they be in a seperate book?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

The current it is to include the rules (sic) for mass land combat based on the siege engine as a 24 page manual in the DB series.

Somewhere around 12-15+ pages of rules mechanics and how the siege engine works for mass combat, and how PCs operate in this mechanic (they operate normally...what a novel idea?)

Example army lists for 2-3 pages (these are for quick referencing and getting people right into a game)

New magic spells/items, or a very brief re-examining old magic items as mass combat items 2-3

The rest of the book comprises a few mass combat scenarios/mini adventurs that take place in the Haunted Highland setting, with effects/consequences/honor and prestige based on PC interaction and success.

Case

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Holy ****** **** that sounds ******' awesome! The dirty Bowb himself comes through with some great news. Bring on that stuff, and make HH the bad-ass setting it has started out to be.

Nice. Thx for the good news.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Bowbe wrote:
The current it is to include the rules (sic) for mass land combat based on the siege engine as a 24 page manual in the DB series.

Somewhere around 12-15+ pages of rules mechanics and how the siege engine works for mass combat, and how PCs operate in this mechanic (they operate normally...what a novel idea?)

Example army lists for 2-3 pages (these are for quick referencing and getting people right into a game)

New magic spells/items, or a very brief re-examining old magic items as mass combat items 2-3

The rest of the book comprises a few mass combat scenarios/mini adventurs that take place in the Haunted Highland setting, with effects/consequences/honor and prestige based on PC interaction and success.

Case

Sounds like it would also make a great PDF/Crusader article after it is released with the HH material.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

This sounds great.....

2 of my favorite ways to waist time mixed. Now I can justify the ton of lead in my junk room & all the stacks of books easier.

Look forward to it!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

The mass combat rules sound great, and really adds to the HH and C&C in general. Looking forward to them.

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Maliki wrote:
The mass combat rules sound great, and really adds to the HH and C&C in general. Looking forward to them.

Agreed, although I'm personally more interested in getting some information on the city of Dro Mandras. It's a pity if the 'mass combat' rules are holding the city modules up.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Akrasia wrote:
Agreed, although I'm personally more interested in getting some information on the city of Dro Mandras. It's a pity if the 'mass combat' rules are holding the city modules up.

In my case I won't be using the HH until at least my next campaign, maybe even longer than that, so I'm not really in a hurry for it.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Tides of Battle

Post by Bowbe »

Turned in today.

Davis, if' your lurking drop me an email because your copy bounced.

Case

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

"Turned in today" is music to my gamer's ears. I can't wait for this. I am starting my party into the Haunted Highlands within the week. With editing and publishing, my campaign should be in sync.

I love your work, Bowbe.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

magehammer wrote:
I love your work, Bowbe.

And that my friend, is music to MY ears. Thats why I do what I do. I am happy to hear from many sources that the Haunted Highlands/Crater of Umeshti are hitting the right cord with game masters and players. It is more and more becoming the thing I really want to work on!

Good news on another front. The top secret project Michael and I have been working on is also very close to completion. Within the next week or so, and the final bits of Dro Mandras and the Conquered West are falling into place as well!

Case

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Bowbe wrote:
And that my friend, is music to MY ears. Thats why I do what I do.

Case
...be-doobie-doobie-do.

Well, YOU mentioned music...LOL.

Joking aside, kudos on your hard work and accomplishments. Positive feedback is a prized reward. Keep up the good work.
Brian Miller

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

YES. Good news keeps coming on th HH front. Bowbie, great work on getting this stuff done. As magehammer mentioned above, I hope these mods/supplements start hitting in an even stride (for his campaign) or others.

I can't wait for these mods!

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hate to link this if Bowbe didn't want it done, but there is more HAUNTED HIGHLANDS discussion going on at DF:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 886#399886

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Bowbe
Red Cap

Hah

Post by Bowbe »

K, when I said turned in today, I meant the mass combat rules. About 10 days later i turned in the spell book

Today I actually DID turn in the first of the Dro Mandras Books. Over half done with the second one already so should be a week or two before the MS to that one gets turned in. Then its back to the Crater of Umeshti.

(For those keeping count, thats 3 books, in about 20 days. I had some help with two of them but still count for about 50k words of the three. Now i need to go to sleep).

Case