What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Persimmon »

For some reason I got it in my head to check out Ruins of Undermountain, which I never owned. So I bought the original boxed set on ebay, got the reprint of the expanded levels from drivethru, bought another supplement, "The Lost Levels," on ebay, and then picked up the 5e module "Dungeon of the Mad Mage," which covers all 20 levels, albeit in rather truncated fashion with options for expanding on your own. So my big writing plan for the upcoming year is to convert all this to C&C.

A couple interesting things I noted about the 5e version, as I never bought a 5e module before. First, there are no monster stat blocks. They just refer you to the Monster Manual, which I think would become rather clunky at the table. Along those lines, several monsters are listed as something like, "elite male drow warrior," but don't give a level or anything. I presume that just has a standard entry in the MM? I bought the 5e MM several years back but sold it online soon after so I don't recall. Another interesting, but not surprising, feature of the module is that there's a hamfisted mechanic whereby certain gates in the dungeon only function if the PCs are high enough level to tackle the challenges. And even if they try to go to these levels by regular means, a disembodied spirit voice warns them "you are not ready to face the challenges before you." Talk about handholding! Of course, I'll just ignore that. At least the module itself gives me plenty to work from in conjunction with the other material I've purchased.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just picked up the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson again. I had started it last year and only got a chapter in and put it down for some reason. It's more interesting to me this time around.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Weirdly, Games Workshop had a limited time offer on their website, stating orders for the next Warhammer Quest Cursed City expansion (named Nemesis) needed to be preordered prior to Christmas (or right after New Years) and so, my wife knowing I would want it, ordered it, telling me so and we both expected a June or so arrival. However, it arrived 2 days after placement, and coming across the pond, that was extremely fast... so, long story story short, I am looking it over. We need to go get some vargheist miniatures though.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Currently reading the DCC update of the old 3e adventure "Crypt of the Devil Lich," which I'm going to make a sub-level of Undermountain. But it's truly brutal, along the lines of "Tomb of Horrors" for sure. I think it would take a lot of both luck and skill to survive it, even with very high level PCs. And it has one of my pet peeves, which is room descriptions that sprawl over several pages, though in a few cases the module includes summary boxes outlining what could/should happen in the encounters. And, like "Tomb of Horrors," it has the images in the back, without which it would be impossible to run.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

A|State (2e) which is a FitD update. Great setting and now great mechanics to match (1e was a mechanical mess).

(In the correct thread this time! :D )

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Looking at castle and dungeon layouts for an idea I had for playing through a siege scenario. DTRPG seems to have some good, affordable options.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

Shadowrun 6th edition. I haven't played SR since 1st edition. I never figured out how that game worked, so I fell back on plying a tough guy that beat things up. I have recently decided that SR would not beat me, I will understand it, if it takes all year. Will I ever play or run it? Eh, who knows

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Finally completed my BECMI collection today when my copy of the "Champions of Mystara" boxed set arrived. I have waffled about getting this for years. I have the entire gazetteer line, plus the fanmade gazetteers from Vaults of Pandius. But prices have always been quite high. Finally, I found a copy in great condition where the buyer was willing to negotiate on price. It was still rather pricey, but I had funds in paypal from selling stuff I no longer wanted so it was basically a trade. The copy is in great condition; even the box is in good shape. So I may sketch out another long BECMI campaign in the Mystara setting using this new info.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Temporarily put aside A¦State in order to read CATaclysm, as I will attempt to run it using the scenario in the core tomorrow night (this was four weeks ago now).

Just got back from ttrpg night. I am running a quick scenario for CATaclysm. Helped them set up their cats and started the intro. Next week will be the scenario proper.
Lots of funny cat jokes (this was three weeks ago now).

Scenario completed after four sessions. Everyone had a great time, they may even decide they want to keep playing into a new story (which I'll have to think up quick).

The system itself is really simple, but gives you free reign to expand it and do anything you want with it. At heart it is either d10 (0-9) + Skill and hit a Target Number or an opposed roll. That's it (apart from adding in modifications for armour/weapons/etc) Add more levels of complexity if you want (this was one week ago now).

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Starting in on the BYTE rule book. Thing is around 1.5 inches thick...and chock full of stuff.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:49 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:59 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:19 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:57 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:25 am
Ancalagon wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 pm
<snip>
C&C PHB 8th printing
HarnMaster rules
HarnWorld - Kingdom of Kanday setting
B/X D&D
Updated as follows:
HackMaster Basic
C&C PHB 8th printing
Updated as follows:
C&C PHB 8th printing
Against the DarkMaster
Chivalry and Sorcery Essence
Updated as follows:
Kingdom of Melderyn (HarnWorld)
C&C PHB 8th printing
Updated as follows:
AD&D PHB
AD&D UA
Updated as follows:
World of Greyhawk yellow boxed set
C&C ABP
Updated as follows:
Mythras core rules
B/X D&D
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Been involved in the 2d6 Dungeons solo system play testing. Been a fun run so far. Can see it being easily adaptable to C&C as well.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I am regressing to my (BX) roots, and have been reading Necrotic Gnome's Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome and Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy Referee's Tome, plus the adventure, The Incandescent Grottoes, which I have set near the Village of Hommlet (reading that title, too) in The World of Greyhawk (reading that box set, as well). I have most recently been reading BX Options by Erin Smale for work(!) purposes and Gig Economy from Hurtleberry Press for home campaign purposes.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Zudrak wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:09 am
I am regressing to my (BX) roots, and have been reading Necrotic Gnome's Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome and Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy Referee's Tome, plus the adventure, The Incandescent Grottoes, which I have set near the Village of Hommlet (reading that title, too) in The World of Greyhawk (reading that box set, as well). I have most recently been reading BX Options by Erin Smale for work(!) purposes and Gig Economy from Hurtleberry Press for home campaign purposes.
WoG boxed set is perhaps my favorite roleplaying item. Loved both this and the original folio.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Hoping to dig into the Marmoreal Tomb set I received from the Trolls recently. It was a long time coming, but looks great.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

maximus wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:14 pm
Hoping to dig into the Marmoreal Tomb set I received from the Trolls recently. It was a long time coming, but looks great.
Would like to get your take on this. According to Ernie's Facebook posting, TLG will be selling copies on its website after KS fulfillment is complete.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Living the Legend by Gary Gygax
create image url

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

maximus wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:08 pm
Zudrak wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:09 am
WoG boxed set is perhaps my favorite roleplaying item. Loved both this and the original folio.
I hear that! Both the 1983 WoG Box and the AD&D DMG vie for first place among my favorites. :)
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Persimmon wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:21 pm
maximus wrote:
Would like to get your take on this. According to Ernie's Facebook posting, TLG will be selling copies on its website after KS fulfillment is complete.
Me too, thanks!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:43 am
Living the Legend by Gary Gygax
create image url
Great module, to be sure!

I had the good fortune to be in a game of this Lejendary Adventure . . run by a certain Lejendary Master.

The LM instructed the players to create a human avatar, but he allowed me to use/run an elf character – who I called Emrys.

Eight months later, LM turned back into DM, let me convert Emrys into an OD&D character to delve the Castle Greyhawk Dungeon.

Kayo, good luck in your LA Living the Legend game!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Volomyre
Ungern

Post by Volomyre »

I missed out on both Gurps and The Fantasy Trip in the 80's so I picked up an enormous amount of books from both systems. Gurps definitely has more crunch than C&C.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Tadhg wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:40 pm
Persimmon wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:21 pm
maximus wrote:
Me too, thanks!
Sale copies are starting to pop up on the web, with prices ranging from $39.99 to $149.99!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Swords & Wizardry Complete Revised has arrived as did the adventures Legacy of Blackscale Lagoon and The Doom of Malakar so those three are on deck.

Twilight 2000 4th Edition Urban Operations and the new 10th edition of Warhammer 40k rulebook are what I'm reading at the moment.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Recently got in the Undying War books from the Kickstarter. I'm reading the C&C version.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've been reading the Shadowdark rulebook.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Making my second pass through the massive and quite excellent "Gods of the Forbidden North" from Pulp Hummock Press. A fun mix of 80s fantasy/pop culture, real world history, Hyperborea, and Alaskan folklore. And this 477 page tome is just volume 1 of 3. Written for OSE, so could easily be used for C&C.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Marmoreal Tomb box set and Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader (Reprint).
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 am
I had hoped to dig into the Marmoreal Tomb months ago, but still haven't gotten to it. Any thoughts so far?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks to the GM Day Sale on DTRPG I've been going through an eclectic mix.

Some of the old Forgotten Realms 2e books, I forget how much I LOVED FR back in the day, especially the Gray Box time frame, until I start rereading FR stuff (not the 3e or more recent stuff).

Then some Traveller - 2300 v2 stuff. Mainly ship stuff and robot stuff, but some other things to idea mine for my homebrew Traveller game for the girls face to face.

Finally a touch of Delta Green and Call of Cathluhu for some adventures to break up the Traveller games here and there. Trying to figure out how much King in Yellow I can introduce to the girls game without completely breaking their young teenage girls' minds, and loving the idea that there are some packs of ghouls that have an agreement with DG and then an uber powerful sophisticated mage/cult leader that is in an armistice with DG - stop killing me, I just keep coming back from the dead anyway, and killing my cultists in NY, and I'll give you information on other cults and more evil individuals and I'll limit my activities to an acceptable level - A classic do you make a deal with the devil you know to beat the demon you don't know.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

maximus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:21 pm
TheMetal1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:27 am
I had hoped to dig into the Marmoreal Tomb months ago, but still haven't gotten to it. Any thoughts so far?
I had a long reply and then I lost it all. Ughh. So here is the short of it. Great presentation, however the contents are convoluted. Still reading, but that's my two-cents so far.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria