DB3 Deeper Darkness

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
Omote
Battle Stag

DB3 Deeper Darkness

Post by Omote »

I know the Trolls said that we could order this during the $10.00 CRAZY SALE. Has anybody gotten DB3 Deeper Darkness yet? The series has been stellar so far, so I'm really looking forward to this mod.

If you have the mod, speak up so we can hear about the goodness!

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have it. I have not thoroughly read it, just the intro stuff, a couple of the encounters, and the new monsters.

The Thule are some nasty evil creatures to really mess up a PC's life. Lots of evil CK ideas with those guys, besides what Casey has done in the mod.

Decent write up of their background/ecology too.

I also like the C&C write up of the MArgoyle and the War Ogres.

I should finish reading through it tonight or tomorrow.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

My copy arrived today, and from a quick skim, the material itself looks great.

But, uhh, guys....more microscopic maps? What is the deal with the tiny maps!?

There are only three level maps to this module. I can't fathom why they aren't full-page sized, two of which could be inside the front and back covers.

If this, for some reason, raises the production cost of the module past a target point, then how about some free downloads so we can print them out at a functional size?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Joe Mac wrote:
My copy arrived today, and from a quick skim, the material itself looks great.

But, uhh, guys....more microscopic maps? What is the deal with the tiny maps!?

There are only three level maps to this module. I can't fathom why they aren't full-page sized, two of which could be inside the front and back covers.

If this, for some reason, raises the production cost of the module past a target point, then how about some free downloads so we can print them out at a functional size?

Its a little bit of a hassle, but scan, enlarge, and then crop and print works pretty well.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Well....I don't have access to a scanner, but even if I did, there's no reason there should be any such hassle.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Looking at the material as presented, it seems as if TLG had to have them as smaller maps. DB3 is 24 pages long, which is probably a standard format. If the page count was increased a few pages then the production cost of rthe module may have to been increased. Instead of having that, as much material as can be is crammed into 24 standard pages. Unfortunately that means smaller maps. I have no idea if this is the actual case, but is seems like this senario could be likely.

Personally, as for the maps there is no hard-core detail to them. No interior details, just basic premise with location and size as reference. As a CK, even if you botch drawing maps for your players, whose to know the difference?

If you need bigger maps, there is always a photo copy place to enlarge them. Probably pretty cheap to do to.

Just some thoughts.

..................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Joe Mac wrote:
Well....I don't have access to a scanner, but even if I did, there's no reason there should be any such hassle.

The Trolls know many of us board members really like our maps. If they could make bigger ones that are full page without increasing costs they would.

This is because we also like the "price point" of C&C products.

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

The module prices are uniquely low, for these days, but I'd gladly pay a few dollars more for maps printed on the insides of the covers.

I'm going to buy every C&C module that emerges, regardless -- but I'm not buying any excuse for 3" diameter maps. If that's what I'm to be stuck with, due to a production cost issue of some sort, I'd appreciate some love in the form of map downloads...I'll pay for the printer ink.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well the one I have for the Haunted Highlands was free off their main website. As far as I know it is still there. Plus a couple of other maps.

Its full color, though. Not a simple B/W.

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

Please make the maps from DB3 available for download, guys. They really are unacceptably small.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have heard numerous concerns about the maps. Some do not like the quality, and others the size. I, personally, have no issue because I just ignore the maps anyway (sorry, I just like making my own) so I don't have an opinion, other than: TLG should do what NG has done in the past: make free web enhancement stuff for their modules, protected by some password or something. This could include "production level maps" in that the version used for layout could be included as a part of the package. I don't know if that would cost anything (don't know if TLG has to pay for every use of art, or if they get X "uses" or whatever) but if it makes the fans happy, and can be done without much effort (I bet Peter has all the maps on his PC), and it doesn't hurt TLG... then why not? It can only make things better!

Bowbe
Red Cap

Maps

Post by Bowbe »

I just finally saw the printed version myself this weekend at Sooner Con and the maps are pretty small (Because there are more words and written content in this book than the standard 24 page modue).

My word count was a little big for the 24 page format, though we aren't as restricted to the format/size (ok we are but not for the next couple DB series books). I'll get on the horn with Peter and the fellas and see if we can't get a download put up with the maps from DB 2 and 3 at a larger size.

Case

Emryys

Re: Maps

Post by Emryys »

Bowbe wrote:
I'll get on the horn with Peter and the fellas and see if we can't get a download put up with the maps from DB 2 and 3 at a larger size.

Little things like this are great value-added content...

I like to use modules for online gaming and having maps already in electronic format works great... plus those with graphic software can add or subtract to make it "just right" for their own games

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Bowbe wrote:
I just finally saw the printed version myself this weekend at Sooner Con and the maps are pretty small (Because there are more words and written content in this book than the standard 24 page modue).

My word count was a little big for the 24 page format, though we aren't as restricted to the format/size (ok we are but not for the next couple DB series books). I'll get on the horn with Peter and the fellas and see if we can't get a download put up with the maps from DB 2 and 3 at a larger size.

Case

Its reasons like this as to why I started hanging out on the internet forums for my fav gaming companies.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Bowbe wrote:
I'll get on the horn with Peter and the fellas and see if we can't get a download put up with the maps from DB 2 and 3 at a larger size.

Case

That would be really cool! Thanks!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

I'll do what I can.

Warning: It won't be this week as the fellas are going to Lake Geneva this weekend.

Family events (a cousin's graduation party) and the price of Gas have sorta left me bent for my opportunity to make it this year.

Give it a couple weeks and we should see some action.

Thanks

Case

Joe Mac
Hlobane Orc

Post by Joe Mac »

Bowbe wrote:

Case

Sweeeet, thanks. And I do like your taste in dungeon-crawl-bloodbaths...

sykoholic

Post by sykoholic »

Quote:
And I do like your taste in dungeon-crawl-bloodbaths...

Though your taste in cuisine leave a bit to be desired. Frumunda Cheese Omlette? *shudder*