A Day in the Life - Yggsburgh

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
I do not get unhorsed. This tournament is rigged.

No problem Sir Knight. There's a line forming in the back of the Royal Box. Get behind the Black Knight who limping up to complain. Oh look, it's the mistress of the chamber pot maids who is taking the complaints!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yes, I have. Strahd is rather pathetic, actually, in his stats as written. All it takes, matter-of-factly, is a decanter of endless water on geyser; bless it beforehand so it produces nothing but holy water. Strahd is dead on impact.

Brute force is not always how one accomplishes a task; creativity and intelligence count as well.

Besides, Strahd is no measure of power. Have you defeated a God of War in one round of combat, in pure, actual, hand-to-hand... I have with a character before. But that DM was an idot, so it doesn't count.
Anyway... interesting "tale" going on.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Titania Lefey wrote:
did you defeat Strahd von Zerovich (at full hitpoints) in one on one combat? Dee did. So it is obviously NOT rigged.

The Dame Dee Hein will lead all Knights and Paladins against Unklar in the coming war. Marquis Rhuveinus will head up the illusionists and wizards!

DangerDwarf will lead our brave and noble gnomes into battle. All hail DD, friend of gnomes and fairies!!

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

serleran wrote:
Yes, I have. Strahd is rather pathetic, actually, in his stats as written. All it takes, matter-of-factly, is a decanter of endless water on geyser; bless it beforehand so it produces nothing but holy water. Strahd is dead on impact.

Brute force is not always how one accomplishes a task; creativity and intelligence count as well.

Besides, Strahd is no measure of power. Have you defeated a God of War in one round of combat, in pure, actual, hand-to-hand... I have with a character before. But that DM was an idot, so it doesn't count.
Anyway... interesting "tale" going on.

technically no... she was a spellcaster

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Ah, so you cheat. Magic is forbidden in tournaments of skill, for the magic supersedes it and gives ability not possessed. How are we to know you did not wield some eldritch power to grant you immobility, and thus, complete immunity to unhorsing? 'Tis biased, unchivalrous, and far from knightly, and thereby, you had no right to be in the contest.
Had I known crafts of the arcane and divine were to be allowed, I would have prepared... but, as I am noble, I will allow your victory, as undeserved as it is.

{The above "in character" as it were, or not.}

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
Ah, so you cheat. Magic is forbidden in tournaments of skill, for the magic supersedes it and gives ability not possessed. How are we to know you did not wield some eldritch power to grant you immobility, and thus, complete immunity to unhorsing? 'Tis biased, unchivalrous, and far from knightly, and thereby, you had no right to be in the contest.
Had I known crafts of the arcane and divine were to be allowed, I would have prepared... but, as I am noble, I will allow your victory, as undeserved as it is.

{The above "in character" as it were, or not.}

Clarification!

No magicks were used in jousting combat. Prospero the Wise would see to that. He is the most powerful wizard in Aenochia. Dame Dee has magic lances but they were not allowed in the tournament. [They are always allowed in battle vs. evil of course].

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

Rhuvein is correct. I was talking about another character I played.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It is a well-known fact that Prospero is in the charms of the lady, as abided by the code of courtly love. Long have I witnessed his flirtatious notes and nods. Far be it for me to reveal an otherwise harmless intent, but when it concerns the rightful witness of manly combat, such is required. Failure would be to comply with all that is wrong, and this is not what any knight should thusly do.

I regret that I must leave Yggsburgh if the court is unavailable to reason.

You have earned a villain, rogue. Until swords cross... fare thee well.

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

May thee fair well, until swords cross as well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
Eryn died. His body sat there for a moment, then tumbled over like an old sack of potatoes.

Sometime later that evening, Eryn's younger brother and only surviving family, wept.

The last living brother awoke screaming, cold and sweaty. The dream was back and always the same. A lady cloaked & hidden in shadow, no lady is the wrong word. Female yes but not a lady. She probably is not even human more evil nymph or hag than anything else. Evil sickness and pain hidden behind a false mask and shrouded by a vile clinging shadowy darkness was what the soul knows is truly there.

She stood offering relief from the loneliness and the pain. The loneliness caused by the murder of the Eryn the elder brother. The pain, well just the pain of life.

Behind the hag a deeper darkness hovering filled with cold hate.

He walked as if in a dream, but this was no dream. The nightmares and the hags calling had worn him down and won him over after weeks of broken sleep. His few friends would not recognize the husk of a man hed became nor would they look for him in this thief haunted ally. A crooked broken door in an old rundown house lead to a hidden room occupied by the plague dead body of a greedy thief and murder. A thief that should have known better. A pilfer of a body that should have been murdered and burned. A body that was striped and sickness infected cloths taken. The death that came with the pilfered cloths over shadowed all the gold found that night.

The crowds cheered the tilting, and the following fire works. Money changed hands as bets were won and lost. Smoked turkey and pork greased the chins of all that could afford and many that could not. Beer, wine & cider filled the bellies and numbed all from the bone biting cold. Laughter and cheer marked all as any proper Yule should be celebrated. Among the poor a broken man walked, sent to spread sickness and death.

The walk, blessedly, was cut short. A shadow protected sword man cutting down the poor pawn of a man before he could stumble amongst the dancers and revelers of the nobles ball.

The hag of sickness hisses in hate as one last plan fails. All that could afford coat cloak or face scarf ware them to blunt the colds bite. This limits the sickness to the poorest. Also the cold its self blunt the sickness spread. Some good number of the poort suffer and die of the wasting sickness, but few others. The loss will be felt in the coming war for poor hands hold spear as good as any but the free city is in no large danger from plague this season.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Young Sir Taslo, called Belial by some including his father, rode happily into the snow. The old tumbled down runes of an ancient castle marked the boundary of his fathers hunting lands. A quick glance over his shoulder to a memory shrouded Pilard showed a smile also. This land sparingly used by Taslos father was one of the few places of peace and happiness to both of the friends.

The slow pace of the horses and the snow crunch of the iron shod leather wrapped horse hoofs lead to deep and happy thoughts by both travelers.

The remembered look on Taslos fathers face caused a deep smile. It will bring many more smiles over the next years. The reaction to a lady winning the tilt, and not only a lady but one not of good old blood of the realm. Oh so good a picture it painted. The feast and dance later that night did not cause a frown but banked the happiness.

The knights both local and new visitors, nobles, leaders and wealthy members of the free city all gathered for feast and fun. All dressed in their finest clothing to celebrate Yule. The honor and glory of the list knights, not the overblown pride of the old blooded knights, was something Taslo could admire and wish for. Those worthies hardly notices the fop that Taslo pretended to.

One day that might change but not now. Despite being a reaper and reaver of the worst murdering cut throats and unspeakable of the free city. A man of honor and follower a his own code. A master of sword and knife, a man that could find those trying to hide from justice, a hearer of many secrets. One skilled in being seen and forgotten by many and remembering much of what is said even in hushed whispered voices. Also one of the few with some little skill in the art of pankrates combat. Oh well, act a fop be seen as a fop but at least some few worthies knew his skills.

Thoughts of roasted pig and venison and the thirst quenching spiced cider returned Taslos smile.

Pilards thoughts were much more simple. The tangold hair of the millers daughter. Yule and Mayfair dances and long warm kisses. A soft love for a hard man. Simple and warm..

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The night sky was clouded as it had been for weeks now. The snow and ice had taken the lands in a seeming death grip. Silence was all around except for the cracking of branches under the weight of the ice. It was as if a new Winters Dark had settled here.

The young elf pulled her hood closer. It hid the pale blond hair and black facial tattoos. She shivered against the cold wishing for a way around her meeting. Hoping the man never showed. But the society needed this information if they were to proceed with their plans.

A soft sound behind her let the elf know her contact was here. She turned to see the adept in his most meager robes coming toward her. "Yslar?" He asked nervously.

The elf responded, "Yes. Come into the hut out of this cold." The hut was naught more than a burned out shell of a farmhouse long abandoned by it's owners.

The elf recited a few arcane words and started a dark fire of heat but no light in the old hearth. As they warmed the adept began to speak, "It is worse than they feared. Your guess of the Dark Man was correct but the elder mages felt another presence, one that is female and just as evil if not more." Yslar took this in and motioned for the adept to continue.

"Also there are reports that Count Dexter's body vanished the night after it was laid to rest. The gravedigger was hung for violating the tomb but no one knows where the body could have gone. "

Yslar was not surprised at this last news. This had been brewing for some time. It was now time for her to give her information to the adept to give to his superirors. " The eastern forts have all but fallen. Karbosk is in shambles and the crusaders were planning a retreat but were cut off and slaughtered to the man.

Rumors are coming out of the lands of the Marquis that he has now employed a Warduke to drive into the dire forest and try to gain a postion to invade Yggsburgh. However the snows have slowed this and this could be repelled."

The adept looked shocked, " But the Wardukes were all wiped out after the last crusade. How is this possible?"

Yslar was in no mood for debating the issue, " It is what I know, I do not speculate I just deliver the reports. There is one last thing to share, rumors of a new temple are in the winds. Whispers that Thorax has returned and is calling himself Set. There may be a connection to the Dark Man resurfacing if this is true. But, I leave that for your masters to decide."

With that Yslar strode out of the hut and disappeared into the night.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ismial sat quietly. The sounds from the next room washed over him bringing the though of Let the noise of life be a balm to the soul. The banter of the younger brothers and sisters arguing which knight had the best smile which road the best horse also implying which was the better rider and from the brothers if red or gold hair was inherently more attractive. Yes joyful noise.

The candle light flickering of a pile of gold coins and a folded letter darkened the mood. Never except a gift of gold for the strings that will bind you to the giver can never be broken was much said by the late master of the Erlas family. Oh the weight of leadership. Such is the price of being the youngest merchant family patriarch and one of the most successful..

Gold now and more later for quiet support to Prizmyras cause. Quiet support.. Housing and transport for soldiers and assassins, stored food and hidden weapons no doubt. That and a promise to stop trading with the states of Outremer or at least charging extra. Other families would never blink an eye. There is money to be made money and power but at what dark cost

Many minuets later, with the argument over hair color moving to which dress showed more leg and weather the legs being shown were worth seeing and which knight was angered by the loss to female knights and who was flirting with whom during the dance, a decision was made. 20 pieces of silver was added to the pile of gold. The bag of monies closed tied and a messenger sent to return the gift. The silver to buy back all the time and friendship spent with the sender over the last 25 years. Also a deep insult and a message that would put the Erlas family at war with all agents of Prizmyra.

A few quick notes pinned by a shaky hand, to certain knights, council members, Marshals of the free city, and a few more unsavory peoples. Listing know and expected spies and agents of the empire, also places used as safe houses and to store of food and weapons.

More notes to family guards and agents warning of the upcoming troubles and need for vigilance.

If only Taslo was here, despite being a peacock and lay about, he always had a bit of news that helped link pieces of the puzzle and had a good head for rumors and intrigue.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Morgan sat dozing hair still wet from his last bath. For days after the Yule tilt a tiring sickness had settled on him. It was passing thank the gods

The thought of the poor soul murdered that night still brought a shiver to the battle hardened crusader and sergeant of the watch. The sickness and hate wrapped around the unfortunate twisted man was near overwhelming. It nearly drove Morgan to take a bath again, it would be the third of the day.

The feeling of uncleanleness passed quickly as he looked around the room. A room still decked in Yule finery and filled with loving family. Boys telling lies and bragging of their untested skills be they with sword & shield or just climbing a tree and pilfering a fresh loaf or pie, I must remember to pay Mes Clin the baker extra in cane that isnt a lie.

The girls helping their mother prepare a meal to be shared amongst not only the present family members but to also Morgans father keeping the tavern down stairs and all brothers and sisters still living in the free city. A feast near fit for the counts and council of the city if Morgan knew his wifes skill in the kitchen

Morgan did not see the moment of a sad look his wife gave him as she surveyed all going on as the queen surveys her court. Morgan only saw a beauty of a lady, aging but still a beauty, he loved. He didnt see the shadow that had wrapped its self around him since the visit of the gray man. He didnt know the depth of sickness and it toll it had taken over the last days. The shadow would cling always but the sick weakness was passing.

Morgans eyes passed over the two swords hanging in the wall. A sigh of relief passed his lips when there was no pull to do a dark deed this night but there was a feeling like that of a storm well out of eye site. A storm moving this way.

A smile passed over his lips when his youngest daughter placed a cup of his favorite spiced cider into his hand.

Let this be a night of peace and harmony for all those that pass under this roof, and for all those in this city. For peace is needed to strengthen all for what approached.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
"Welcome to Yggsburgh. Please do the residents a favor and just kill yourself so we can get it over with."

"There's a nice welcome for ya'" Hurley commented sarcastily.

Meseriam looks at the note scrawled on the paper and tacked to post outside Moatgate. "I knew Yggsburgh was dangerous place, but this, this is somewhat a grim humour."

"Well, we came here to get some information and equipment. So lets get on with it and get out of here as quickly as possible. I hate these cities anyway." The surly dwarf virtually barked at his companions.

The three went forward.

Only two would leave on the morrow.

The fire was warm, the laughter all encompassing, and the food, well what can be said but good Halfling cooked. Eight friends, dwarf, Halfling and human some long know others fairly recently met, enjoyed the peace enforced by the cold winter weather. There were three missing two dieing in pursuit of gold and glory, one backstabbed in a no name alley in Yggsburgh. Nelson missed his brother, Meseriam.

Nelson watched the Halfling twins start preparing the next meal. The dishes from diner still drying but those two were already pealing apples and stirring a pot. How can two people so small eat so much? Well at least even a breakfast of oats and honeyed bread will taste better than anything anyone else present could throw together. Not only are they both good cooks but also good sneak thieves, or as they both loudly protest professional treasure hunters and finders.

The cold night air almost took Nelsons breath away despite the thick fur cloak and wool coat he wore. The pot house is toooo far away was lost to the night wind as he trudged to the privy house.

The frost cold fog covering the hamlet down the path was the first sign that things were not right. The first thing Nelson noticed was the silence of even the local dogs that yelped at anything moving in the dark.

The first arrow struck the privy door as he reached for the handle. The next two harmlessly fell into the snow as he turned and began to race back to the house. Half way back he finally saw the fire flickering from the hamlets thatched roofs. Thank the gods the tavern house was slate roofed and stone walled. More arrows fell two close enough to pierce his fur lined cloak.

The door banged open as Nelson leapt to safety followed by four wasted arrows. A blood curdling battle cry issued from the throats of goblins, orcs and other fell creatures. That was the start of the fight for all eight of their lives.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

On this, the third day of the month of Winterdark, Bands of Goblins, Orcs Hobgoblins and Urks have been seen and fought. They were in the woods and wild land 20 leagues to the North and East of the rushing river bordering the hunting lands of the Dalon family. They traveled and fought in fists of mixed races not in their normal habit of remaining separate and avoiding all other tribes and races. Also signs of war and destruction were seen on the horizon in the area for the far hamlets and separated towns. None of my hunting party were able to travel close enough to see the extent of the damage or look for witness or survivors.

There were three to four separate fists working more like soldiers of the old empire than roving bands of raiding creatures. Eight goblin rides of great fell wolves were also seen. Five of them were killed with arrows before they could flee. 12 to 15 goblins great and small, orcs and urk, the orcs that do not fear the light of the sun, were killed and half as many more were sorely injured. Of my hunting party 2 horses were killed by arrow and poison, one huntsman broke his arm and leg when his horse was shot from under him, one freemans son was spear stabbed and now suffers form a fell poison. I don not know if he will live long enough for this places holly man to arrive.

Signed Sir Taslo of the family Dalon

There five copies written & signed. Deliver them to the Lord Mayor, the city council, Count Rhuveinus, Sir Albrights and my father.

Is there an word form Master Lajeu. The militia is his to call and command?

A boy servant to the master huntsman spoke up He left before the Yule feast, Sir. He said he suffered from pain in the belly and would go to back to Yggsburghs baths for a time of relaxing and healing. He had 2 bags of heavy gold and shiny silver hidden in his saddle bags. Paeter bragged of seeing them The boy having said his piece grew nerves at the grim look on the men surrounding him and stepped back quiet again.

Falstaff old friend, Gaelbert master huntsman what next? Taslo said looking around weighing thoughts and plans and wishing for an easy way out that didnt exist..

Both of the old friends were veterans of crusades and survivors of many fights large and small. Both knew things were not as they should be and things were not going to go well or easy for them. They said as much.

We do not know what truly is happening across the river. We can expect the worst but must know what is there and where they are going. That is the highest importance. Falstaff finally commented.

A few more seconds of silence from Taslo as the weight settled down on him. Though both father and son my be tempted to deny each other. Both shared the same old blood and old blood bread for leadership can not be ignored. Sir Taslo didnt know this but his voice of command was the same as used by his father before his first battle as were his worries and fears.

No man goes alone. Where one is there will be a second! Call out the militia I use my right and privileges as a knight of the Free city to lead the militia and all volunteers in defense of this place. To find what we face across the river we will need scouts. Send out groups of men 4 archers, 6 shield men skilled with spear sword or ax, and 4 riders to carry word between the groups of scouts and back to us. Id guess we will need some 4 to 5 such groups. Gaelbert these men are yours to command, but we will also need you here so send good men across the river.

We will need a place well made for defense and large enough to hold all that come. I guess my fathers hunting manor and the surrounding hamlet will do, at least it is on a ridge and will command the area. We will need more shelter from the cold though.

Best case is that rattling shield and sword will chase what ever is over the river away, worse case is that the army is already at the river and crossing without resistance. I doubt either is true. What is your thoughts on the truth that lies between?

Falstaff, resisting the urge to give the salute that he used while talking to the father, An army moves slow on its feet especially in the snow. Id say 1 to 2 days to mass and reach the river, a day to cross and a day to be at the foot or your hill.

Gaelbert nodded in agreement, There are only 2 fords and one bridge to cross that cold river. We can sting them as they near the river slowing them more. Hold the river for a day or two, no more than that. Harass them more as the move to what will be a cold bloody field. That will give us a good bit of time to prepare but I still think it will be a nasty close fight. Also it will take at least 2 days for your little notes to get to the City and even if the army was ready to march it will take 3 days to return. No army is ever ready when you need, so at least a 3 day for a fair sized contingent of guards to prepare and start the march. What ever is going to happen will be cold and finished well before any help arrives.

Sir Taslo sighed one last time. Pass the word that every person, man woman child, freedman or surf should prepare. Bring themselves, food and any arms or armor they posses. We may need to open the militias store of arms and cache of gold and monies. If needed Ill try every horse thief, thug and smuggler in the area, then absolve them of all past crimes if they swear and assist where they can. We will need every one to lift shield and spear and if anyone has any good skill they are needed even more.

The small knot of men broke apart all going their way beginning the first of many cold long nights.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sir Edwan Dalon., Knight of the Free City of Yggsburgh, Marshal of the North Marches and master to 75 household knights and 300 sergeants and squires, sat silently amongst the piers of the realm. Silently in grim thoughts and foul mood. The conversation swirled around him What was the truth behind the note? What actions can be taken and what should be taken? What will the council of pier knights take to the city fathers and Lord Mayor? Questions and answers argued back and forth.

Sir Edwans main thought was Why Taslo the Belial, the un needed. Why not any of the other three sons? Riclan, the first born, made and molded in his fathers image, the second son, Ronald, more of bull head but strong fighter or even the third son Thomas, an acolyte to Paeter, the High Clirist of the free city. He might not be a warrior but at least he was well read and would have a strong knight with him to advise and fight. Any of them but Taslo.

If the note is false or the news overblown by the foolish peacock of a son. That would damage the Dalon name to no end, and that would be Taslos the final sin! If the news is true then the northern villages and hamlets are lost. What little taxes they provided would not matter much but the food sent to the city would sorely be missed.

Taslo despite being the best rider of all sons couldnt hold a lance to save his life, hated any armor stiffer than hard boiled leather, and even his sword was more of a mosquito stinger than a true weapon of war. No war leader there. A dandy made to dance and gossip, make money and spend it, not a leader of men.

He glanced over his shoulder and nodded to his sons, Sir Riclan & Sir Ronald. The elder brought fresh warm spiced wine and the familys old map of the area being discussed. His mind was too occupied to notice the younger sons new clothing, expensive silks and wool rich and finely cut. Nor could he see the new sword decorated with silver, gold and stones. Worth more than the son had ever possessed before.

The map was unrolled and the argument went on for hours until a plan was finished. Ready to be taken to the Lord Mayor, the City Fathers and the Lord counts of the realm.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

On this the tenth day of the month of Wintersdark., I, Thomas Whicleaf, acolyte and servant of the recently deceased Brother Alton spiritual leader and servant to all peoples in this area, Being the only person qualified and able to scribe this note. I swear that From the lips strait to the pen, as it is said so it is written

I, Sir Taslo of the family of Dalon, Knight of the Free City, I give testimony to my actions and the actions of all persons present here at the hill and field of Palaonil

For three nights and two days the archers and huntsmen in service to myself and commanded by Gaelbert, master huntsman, harassed the force of Goblins and Orcs. The militia and freemen volunteers held the river crossings for two more days. The cost in lives were small but I was forced to dismantle the bridge spanning the rushing river.

On the night of the seventh of Winersdark The river crossing was forced at a goodly cost to the orcs that lead the push. The archers assisted with what little horseman in service harassed the goblinoids for two nights and two days. Avoiding combat but slowing and stinging as the could. killing any force that became separated from their masters, or looked weak and unprepared.

It was seen that a small group of knights, wearing arms and armor of the empire, road in their midst. Seaming to leading and commanding the force. A group of peoples were also herded along like cattle and slaves along with baggage and goods both appearing to have been captured in recent raids.

It was also seen that the force contained not only Goblins great and small, Orcs and Urks were in attendance, but also a amount of wolf riders, these lessened over the days of skirmishing and ambushing. Also a small fist of ogres followed the banner of war. At least five to seven of the cursed shaman and users of dark arts were in attendance. I placed a bounty on their deaths as soon as they were known, followed by the Imperial Lords and Leaders. From the count of Gaelbert and his huntsmen, there was some 11 to 12 hundred total.

During this time we busied ourselves in preparing the area around the Palaonil hill for defense. Digging trenches to give cover for archers, throwing up small walls to help anchor soldiers and peoples on foot, and pits for traps and injury to the goblinoids as they approached and climbed the hill.

On the evening of the ninth of Wintersdark, The battle was joined. In defense of the hill there were some 150 militia and people with some knowledge of shield and spear. Half as many archers and some amount of people skilled with sling. Other peoples including women, the old and young were pressed into the line with spear ax and sword from the militia armory and also tools from their farms ad free stead.

A group of horse thieves, smugglers, huntsmen and the few horsemen present hid themselves in the surrounding woods as to free the those captured before, and if possible burn what little of a camp the enemy made and attack their leaders from the rear. All toled I had peoples totaling 748.

The Goblins attacked two hours before sunrise and the fighting lasted nearly 12 hours. The fight pushed into the hamlet and the yard around the Dalon Hunting manor twice before the goblinoids finally broke and fled the field. The cost was high. Few here are without injury and nearly 400 are dead or so gravely injured they are likely to pass in the next day or two. To make matters worse Brother Alton was killed in the fight and there is none here with the skill of blessed healing. A few old crones with a little skill as wise women and with herbs are doing what they can, little though that is.

Those peoples captured and enslaved were freed and some little monies and baggage from raids were also reclaimed. Also one of the knights was killed and one gravely wounded with arrow. The bannerman also few to arrow and lance.

I will pay all those injured or their surviving relatives of those that were kill in battle a blood price. Also payments will need to be made to those that have lost farm and home. I will use all the citys cache of gold and monies and more will be needed.

I will send the names and deeds of heroism in a later message and also the receipts for monies. The captured banner will also be sent along with what little arms and armor are found to be worth keeping.

I now freely admit to the following crimes, Arming of the local peoples from the stores made for the militia. Some of these peoples were at the time in serfdom and banned by law from possessing or using any weapon. Freeing all surfs that willingly fought to defend this hill. Also any and all that were wanted for or guilty of any crime save murder or rape were tried without witness and acquitted. As a knight of the realm that is one of my rights. Also commanding the militia of the free city without writ or permition from the council and lord mayor. Destruction of the citys bridge and roads in and around the area. Knowing the cost and time to build or repair the damage will be great in gold and take much time. Also using the gold and monies from the militia and all that was recovered from the camp without permeation to pay costs fees and blood monies.

As a knight of the Free City I am entitled to certain rights and privileges. I have overstepped those. I do not have the title or power as that of a marshal nor do I have the write and permission from the Lord Mayor or his counsel to act as I have. I will freely surrender my self to the hands of the Counsel or the hands sent as a pier of knights. I only ask for a time for myself and those few friend here to heal.

Sir Taslo

Sir Taslos voice trailed off. For a time he watched his trembling hands, trembling from the cold, exhaustion, and long spent strength. Glancing around the manor yard only half seeing those around him. The body of Brother Alton dead and cold, Falstaf motionless but at least breathing. Pilard setting silent and holding a lock of hair from a dead girl, as a wise woman splinted a broken arm and tightly wrapped a spear stabbed leg. At least there was no poison there.

I dont even know her name, I should know the names of those that were close to friends and willing to die whispered Sir Taslo

He winched as the wise woman tightened to bandage around his twice broken ribs. At least the poultices felt cool and southing on the torch burns up his shield arm. A glance to the blood muddied ground showed the shattered sword blade at least what is left.

No wonder father mocked the thing. Good for a duel or alley fight but not of large use against armored brutes and battle raging ogres. The small buckler Ive always used is also nearly worthless in a true battle.

A young boy walked by carrying a flask of wine, taken from the house no doubt. Talso resisted waving the boy over. If he took a drink now he feared he would never crawl back out of the wine skin..

C&C Society

C&C Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Shavonne noticed a strange air in the city. The people seemed more tense as if expecting some unknown danger. She had noticed the feeling herself, a feeling of dread that she felt before one of the many skirmishes she fought. Trying to push it away Shavonne entered the old Arabel Company house now informally rechristened Grimmhaus.

Upon reaching the main rooms she saw something that rang all too familiar. Josa Hidel, Kassandra, Bishop Thorne ( an emesary of the Karst Church) and Julian were gathered around a map of the outlying regions. They were talking in hushed and familiar tones. Shavonne moved closer to them trying not to interrupt.

" The attack was fierce but it is said the goblinkin were pushed back," Josa's voice was terse.

" The reports are talking of a force not seen in this area since the old empire. Something has rallied them." Julian responded.

Kassandra had been whispering to herself. To an outsider this would raise an eyebrow but Shavonne knew the messaging spell she was using. Soon Kassandra let the spell fade and spoke,"Our forces can make it but it will be after they get a foothold into the lands. They are trying a faster route but it is unknown if it will be of use."

Just then Bishop Thorne noticed Shavonne. " Such bad tidings at a time you should be celebrating. But, you are no stranger to things like this."

The Bishop had just overseen Shavonne and Julian's handfasting ceremony. They were now officially married and were looking forward to a more quiet life. From what she had gathered Shavonne felt that the quiet would be some time away.

"What is going on," She asked.

Josa informed her, "About three weeks ago a force of Orcs, Goblins and others pushed past the eastern forts. They slaughtered all but a hand full and have been pushing west ever since. The latest news we've heard is that a hunting manor was the most recent battle site which places this army less than two weeks from Yggsburgh.

No one officially has given a call to arms which is strange so we were looking at options to bring our own forces in for support. Unfortunately it looks as if none of our forces will be close for the same amount of time. We're discussing options for an official alliance with Yggsburgh and our lands as well as ways to hinder the advance."

Shavonne sat close to her new husband and closed her eyes. She knew what they would do but didn't want their marriage to start off with another war. She looked into Julian's eyes and knew he was thinking the same thing. Then Shavonne felt a rush of excitement, it would be interesting to fight together as husband and wife.

Julian picked up the thought and said what Shavonne was thinking, "Given the situation I think we need to take a look at what is out there."

Josa knew the look on Julian and Shavonne's faces. Looking was not what would happen if they went out but he needed to know more than the snippets he was intercepting to help the city. " Fine," Josa began, " But one thing; It's looking not destroying all you can and leading them back here."

Twenty Miles inside the eastern border of New Aenochia.

The Ungern approached the commander with resolve. It took much to be near this man. If man is what he truly was anymore. The dark armor contained a form similar to that of humans but devoid of the life force they carried. The ungern knew the name for this race, a name only whispered by any kind. Hoar Shoal, The eternal knights. A race so vile that even the Horned one feared them and did not make war on their Witch-King Azarik.

The Hoar Shoal turned to greet the Ungern, "Report." The hollow voice echoed through the helmet.

The ungern braced himself, "The attack did not go well. We fought but were overcome by the humans. Their forces are nearly decimated m'lord. Shall we send in the second force?"

The armored figure thought. "No, let them think they've won. We'll crush what little hope the 'victory' gives them soon enough."

"Yes m'lord. To the rebirth of the empire."

"Rebirth?," The Hoar Shoal laughed, "Your empire was a string of failures by an upstart Godling with no vision. No, this is the birth of the new empire the true empire Unklar only dreamed of."

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

"Fire!!!!!!!!!! Fire !!!!!!!!!!!!! Grab buckets and water. Call the watch! Hurry or every storehouse will burn to the ground!"

A man walked down a normally darkened ally. Not dark now back lit from flickering hungry flames. A dangerous way to make gold now a days but the pay was good.

"My night is made but it looks like I just ruined a family or two's night & then some"

To bad the fool was a block off from where he should have been & confused a blue door for a green one. The family ruined this night was not the one aimed for.

-------------------------

Sorry about having a monopoly going on this but they have all been ideas I've been cleaning up since my last 2 trips back home.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It was under the cover of night that Julian and Shavonne Grimm left Yggsburgh. They traveled slowly on foot skirting the western edge of the Dire Forest. They came here due to reports that a group of gblinkin were skirmishing with the elves there. Finding evidence of the fighting they moved on finding little of interest. In their mind these could have been exploratory or diversion forces by the invaders.

By nightfall of the fifth day they reached Garham a fishing village on the Big Fish Lake. There they planned to spend the night and resupply for their push east. It was in a small tavern they met an old ally. One Evander Hornraven who had been with them in the liberation of the Karstlands.

-Tales of the Ice War by Smedger

The tavern was the typical fishing village type. Dirty and smelling of old water and cheap ale. Shavonne looked disgusted at Evender who wouldn't stop flirting with her despite her telling him she was married. Julian tried to blow it off given Evender's history of being one of his closest friends.

Equally bothersome was the two elf women Evander had in tow. It was bothersome that they both regarded him as a lover but showed no jealousy toward each other. One was light haired and had black facial tattoos the other dark haired and solemn as if in constant brooding. As well both showed the signs of being spellcasters not a type Shavonne trusted at all.

"You missed something at the forest," Evander whispered, "The markings on the weapons and armor link back to Talworth. We've been thinking there is a link to the invaders but can't prove it."

Julian looked alarmed, " Why would the Maequis ally himslef with them? We knew he's wanted Yggsburgh but this seems even beyond him." A second thought took Julian,"You were supposed to be in the southern Karstlands looking for Hatark Castle. Why are you this far south?"

Evander looked grave, " We found the castle but garrisoned by these invaders. They were staging right under our nose. In fact these may be the same group that attacked the Dalon holdings."

"And you didn't report this to us? You knew we were in Yggsburgh," Shavonne asked harshly. This brought a bristle from the blonde elf called Yslar.

"If you must know," Yslar responded," We were overtaken by the storm and had to seek shelter. In fact this is the first day we could move and forced ourselves here."

Julian tried to ignore the exchange but was equally bothered by Evander's silence. He puzzled this for a moment and then decided to put Evander to the test, " Do you have proof Talworth is involved in the skirmishes?"

Evander opened his pack and took out a broken but wicked looking orcish sword. Engraved in it was Talworth's coat of arms. Julian took this and placed it in his own pack.

"Hey," Evander protested, " I took that from an orc captain myself."

Julian didn't even smile, " And we need it to prove the connection. I'm heading toward the Dalon site and looking for a camp to gauge the force coming. You will be coming as well."

Evander knew Julian wasn't joking and the tone his former commander and brother in arms took was grave," I understand." was all he said. Even over the protest of the elves.

The meeting was over since rest was needed. In the small inn room Shavonne was sitting on the bed as Julian was finishing undressing. "I don't trust this," She said.

"That's why he's coming. Evander knows more than he is letting on. And he never told me how he came by that sword."

Shovonne looked puzzled," He said he got it from an orc captian. I assumed it was in the dire forest."

Julian nodded," But what was he doing there?"

Shavonne followed her husbands thoughts and knew where he was going with this. But it was enough of this for one night. "You know we're going to be out for awhile and this is the last real place we'll have to sleep."

Julian knew the look and agreed with her desire and put out the light.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wow. More great stuff guys!! I've got to get back to this when I get some time. I had wanted to post a brief Winter Solstice dinner scene at Ascalon.

Anywho, I just had an aside post for anyone interested in CZ Yggs.

The real Rhuvein met the real Sir Alec of Gaxhill.

While sitting with Gary in the parlor waiting for the rest of our group so we can begin our game, his son Alex comes in and I say hello. While talking to him and Gary, I called him Alec a few times and apologized mentioning this thread and how I've weaved Sir Alec into some of these posts.

Young Alex had no idea Gary put him into CZ and was very impressed. But it was a funny moment. He's a good kid and a very nice and polite young man.

And he didn't mind that his namesake lost in the jousting tournament!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Morgan walked toward the welcoming lights of the inn, torchman ahead and behind, this night he was on city business and not serving the Grayman. Cold wind and snow making life unpleasant for all in the free city, poor and wealthy alike, well more so for the poor.

A dark evil wind sweeps through the city. Causing brass bells to clang inharmoniously, trees groaned and creaked and those windows that had shutters blew about breaking even good locks. Snow kicks up blind all Morgans men and even in the warm common room people stop their conversation, pull cloaks tighter around themselves and huddle closer to the cook fire.

Morgan, without thinking, made the sigh against evil for this WAS an evil air. The torches even sputtered and lamps dimmed as a shadow passed, leaving all cold in its wake. None knew at first the reason for the wind but the word spread of the death news. Slowly at first then quickly everyone knew of the great mans passing.

Even the poor and needy quieted their call for food and alms as the death word spread. All waited hoping to hear the dark story called a lie, but the truth was out. Death had visited death hurtful even to the Grayman.

The wake was called and watched through the night until all people of the city, poor, merchant, nobles and fay alike, passed through Lockwood Street. Candles of morning light and spirits passed and drank in salute.

A light quietly burning on a corner flickers and dies

(I wish I could visit the Gygax family and pass what few words I have, but I can not. Salute and as MANY have said. Mr. Gygax, you will be missed and you have done much good in my life and in many more.. Salute. )

C&C Society

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

In the main dinning room of Castle Gaxhill, an excited yet fearful crowd of people assembles:

There are large fires burning from the high turrets at Castle Zagyg . . . , shouts Beek Gwenders of Croodle.

A tall, stately women of royal bearing remarks to all, Colossal Gold dragons have been spotted over the Free City of Greyhawk!

Reports and rumors race through the city saying that Sir Robilar was seen in The Green Dragon Inn, says Ceatitle Trodar Northman.

The Lost City of Gaxmoor has suddenly reappeared some 100 miles S.E. of Yggsburgh, says a very old crone, but one with a powerful gleam in her eye. Ive seen it! she looks at Sir Alec who only raises his eyebrow and nods.

Eracs Cousin addressed the group, Mordenkainen was spotted in the northern regions, riding in a chariot pulled by rocs. They say it was driven by Thor!

I saw man with a 10 gallon hat, dresses in outlandish attire was seen in the north citadel part. He had a large piece of metal about the size of a hogs leg in a leather holder strapped to his person. His boots clinked when he walked, added the Marquis Rhuveinus.

What does all this mean? shouted the Castle Keeper from the Borderlands.

They all turned to Grimslade, who exclaimed, It means dear friends . . . that Gary Gygax has left this world for the next great adventure!

They all drink a toast poured forth from Zagygs Flowing Flagon.

Cheers.

R.I.P. ~ E. Gary Gygax 7/27/38 3/4/08

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: A Day in the Life - Yggsburgh

Post by Tadhg »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as there is some history and campaign world background for my upcoming Castle Zagyg online game. And so if any of my players wish to learn more about the currents events in Aihrde, this is a good place to start.

Great posts from Julian, Lurker, Davis and others.

Some of our newer forums members might find this of interest if you like Yggsburgh.

God Bless Gary and I dedicate my CZ game to him!

:)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

A mighty thread resurrection, indeed.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Wow, I haven't thought of this in a long long time ...

Some great stories here.

C&C Society

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Would that Yggsburgh and Castle Zagyg had suffered a better fate and were still availabe and expanded upon.

In Gygax's name we play.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Bump. This is an old thread, but full of some fun, creative writing about Gary Gygax's Yggsburgh campaign. A pity the license was pulled from the Trolls when Gary died. Figured anyone new to the thread might want to check this all out. Copies of Yggsburgh still float around on Ebay, and other places used gaming material can be found. Perhaps Scribed.com may have a scanned copy?

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I managed to get a decently priced copy a few years ago, but haven't done anything with it yet. The party in my campaign hasn't made it to the area yet. I'll probably have to dig this out soon. A city adventure would do them good.