My first true CK experience

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
nwelte1
Lore Drake

My first true CK experience

Post by nwelte1 »

I ran a few test games with my wife, but she was not really interested in the game. It is kind of hard to roleplay with one person.

However, I had m first true CK experience this weekend. My brother in law, his wife, and my wife gamed fora night. I think it was a sucess. My brother in law, who is vastly more experienced in pnp rpgs than I, enjoyed himself and asked me to CK again. He wants me to run a campaign that will requiring gaming about 1 per month (he needs to travel about two hours to in order for use to play.) My wife and my sister in law both enjoyed the game and wants to play again as well.

I ran part of A1 and combined it with a modified Beacon. We roll played part of Botkinberg with story lines leading to the Beacon which is now an alarm tower to protect against raids and also the straight A1 story line. Only ran about 3 encounters. Total game time was about 3 hours (1hr helping roll characters for the new players, 30 min in town learning back ground and story leads, 1 of adventuring, and 30 min of baby interrupting the game. ) All in all a good session.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hey that's great, nwelte1. How did the group like the char gen process? What class/races did everyone pick?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

The character creation process was fine. My brother in law loves the C&C over 3.5 and quickly created his character.

My wife has a general disdain for character creation as she is always confused by which attribute modifies which stat. But I helped her through it.

my sister in law needed help as she never roleplayed a pnp game in her life. For this reason it took a bit of time to create the characters but I am sure it willgo smoother next time. In fact they all plan to roll back up characters on their own.

The classes are cleric (sister in law), fighter (wife), and a ranger and a rogue both played by my brother in law.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Cool! RPG's are a seriously under utilized family game.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Nate, it's awsome that your wife plays. Every time I ask my wife to play, she just stares at me and, although she doesn't say anything, I can hear her saying dork....

Oh well, at least she doesn't mind me playing... much.
R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Nate, it's awsome that your wife plays. Every time I ask my wife to play, she just stares at me and, although she doesn't say anything, I can hear her saying dork....

Oh well, at least she doesn't mind me playing... much.
R-

I can tell just by how your wife "roleplays" with her computers she would be a great gamer.

Besides, where does a computer geek get off calling you a dork? Like there's a difference?

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
I can tell just by how your wife "roleplays" with her computers she would be a great gamer.

Besides, where does a computer geek get off calling you a dork? Like there's a difference?

Well, she is the drama advisor for her school.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Well, she is the drama advisor for her school.

R-

Even greater hypocrisy!!

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Congrats on starting a C&C campaign.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Geat to hear. Here's to many, many more sessions of gaming goodness.

......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

I had a similar experience with my wife when she first played. I just asked her a few questions:

If you were in a Xena type world with magic and monsters and warriors with big swords, etc. what kind of person would you like to be.

Her answer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer! So I rolled up a fighter, gave her a big axe and some armor, and wrote a romantic, sad, open ended backstory and let her go.

In game we called her and the other fighter chick "Hack" and "Slash".

imo, Beacon at Enon Tor is one of the best introductory adventures. It allows lots of options to the players so the CK can really teach them the ins and outs of using the SEIGE engine. Its relative short and to the point which allows the CK to throw it in anywhere and roll with it. and its a great opportunity to pump up the party and give them a relative powerful contact.

I love this game!!!

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

StealthSuitStanley wrote:
imo, Beacon at Enon Tor is one of the best introductory adventures. ...... Its relative short and to the point which allows the CK to throw it in anywhere and roll with it. and its a great opportunity to pump up the party and give them a relative powerful contact.

Not in my game. No powerful contact the wizard was slain by the red caps. Got to tie it into A1.