Ad&d must haves (if you use any) for c&c

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
NulSyn

Ad&d must haves (if you use any) for c&c

Post by NulSyn »

For those of you out there that use some of the ole ad&d books wiith c&c tell me your top 5 must haves.

I am planning on buying the c&c corebooks soon and would like to know which ad&d supplements you think I should look for on the ebay to supplement my nastalgia cravings.

So whats your top 5 and why?

(Note any ad&d 1st or 2nd)

(Another note od&d too for that matter)

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

1. Rules Cyclopedia. You'll not find another supplement like it. It is full of stuff just ripe for C&C picking. Weapon mastery, strongholds, etc. Just GOOD. If you get no other, this book will carry the day.

For me, other then that the rest would be campaign supplement stuff I enjoy. I'm more of a setting fan than I am a rules fan.

Beyondthebreach

Post by Beyondthebreach »

I gotta say that the Dungeon Master Guide is the most indispensable - there are many rule "details" that are missing in C&C . . . like, now that my first level cleric can make holy water, what can I do with it?

- Rules for flying combat, underwater combat and spell effects . . . all kinds of stuff.

The three Monster books (MM, MMII and Fiend Folio) are great as well - especially if you are going to convert some 1E adventures and there are baddies not in Monsters & Treasures).

And, of course, Deities & Demigods if you want to use a traditional pantheon(s) for your C&C campaign.

So, pretty much, you need all the 1E books.
Sorry . . . I do like C&C a heck of a lot, but I still think of it as a "version" of 1E rather than a completely different game. I hardly realize I'm not playing 1st edition AD&D in our campaign they are so similar. And, if you've got the 1E books handy, it's nearly impossible not to refer to them to fill in gaps that pop up during play.

simontmn

Post by simontmn »

1e DMG

1e MM - for demons & devils, mostly.

Either the Rules Cyclopedia, or:

Moldvay Basic - for brilliant advice on crafting dungeon adventures, and overall elegance. A true classic.

Cook or Mentzer Expert - for wilderness adventures & strongholds, esp if you don't have the 1e DMG

Mentzer Companion set - for War Machine mass combat rules, and Dominion Rulership rules (the incomes are too high though - I recommend you read 'gp' as 'sp', or 'monthly' as 'annual'.)

Witterquick

Post by Witterquick »

You know what my favorite supplement of all time is? Strike Force by Aaron Allston. Written before he became big in gaming and writing circles, SF is essentially his GM journal for the first several years that he play-tested Champions. The gaming content (NPC's, powers he invented, etc.) isn't so applicable, but the rest is pure gold.

In Strike Force Allston outlines what it takes to run a long-term campaign. He describes player-types, talks about his mistakes and successes in running several different gaming groups in tandem of both men and women, and of course knowing when to quit. In the last portion of the book he actually outlines his entire multi-year campaign with annotations about the real-life events that were influencing the in-game action.

Whenever I feel at a loss or burnt out, it is always a book I turn to, just to get some ideas on how to go off in another direction.

jfall

Post by jfall »

DMG 2e...if just for the p.22 material on how to "construct" a class.

MMI, II, FF (Demons and Devils abound...)

Rules Compendium

Creature Collection (my players have never played basic so don't recognize many of these monsters...)

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hmm, really there is nothing I've reallyused from 1E other then my DMG. I can't reccomend any other book more from the old regime.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I liked the two Survival Guides, Dungeoneer's and Wilderness. But i use proficiencies, of which they had plenty, so i may have gotten more use out of them.

-Fizz

Dragonhelm
Red Cap

Post by Dragonhelm »

Arms & Equipment Guide - This book has some of the best detail and flavor on weapons and armor that I've ever seen. I consider it far superior to its 3e counterpart.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Nothing. I've played either so long that I don't refer to the books, ever, and if I have a question, I just make up an answer, as I see no need to rely on someone else to tell me how my game works. That said, there are plenty of non-D&D books worth having for supplemental material, like The Arcanum, Palladium's Compendium of Arms, Armour and Castles, Earthdawn, and many others. I find, that if I really want to look something up, I turn to non-TSR sources.

But, the OAD&D DMG is great, as is the Rules Cyclopedia, but I just don't find myself needing them... rather, just wanting them around.

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

Nothing is indispensable, but I strongly recommend giving the 1e and 2e core books a read. Also, the Complete Fighter's Hand Book is full of useful tit bits, as is Unearthed Arcana.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

My top five actually got rolled into a top one:

D&D Rules Cyclopedia. It has all the standard and optional rules from all the boxed sets (minus immortal rules).

hmm, maybe ...

The Unearthed Arcana. Because even the best game could use an add-on.

Know your roll!

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Matthew wrote:
Nothing is indispensable, but I strongly recommend giving the 1e and 2e core books a read. Also, the Complete Fighter's Hand Book is full of useful tit bits, as is Unearthed Arcana.

Ah, that reminds me. The Complete Thief's Handbook and The Complete Wizard's Handbook were the best two of that series, imo. The thief's was filled with all sorts of new equipment, while the wizard's had a lot of useful unique spells. The Complete Priest's Handbook wasn't bad if you have a distinct pantheon and were looking for unique powers for your priests.

-Fizz

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I'd suggest most anything you can pick up from the D&D AC series. The Shady Dragon Inn, the book of Magic, the Creature Catalog, the Bestiary...

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

1) OAD&D DMG

2) OAD&D Unearthed Arcana

3) OAD&D MM

4) OAD&D Fiend Folio

5) OAD&D MM2

I refer to several 3e books for weapons and spells, as my wife was a wizard and loved to research in Greyhawk for new spells whenever the rest of the party was shopping or off trying to find a new animal companion, etc. Funny how someone who hated studying loved it "in game". LOL

Anyway, what I love about C&C is that ALL of my materials (BD&D, OAD&D, a little 2e AD&D, 3e D&D, d20) are now valid and take little conversion to "work" in my C&C game.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

NulSyn

Post by NulSyn »

Wow thanks for all the answers!

Looks like I need to rebuild my corebook collection. I use to own pretty much everything stated, but a flood a few years back destroyed 85% of my gaming collection. Including an entire catalog of Palladium books and Planscape material. Money's been tight ever since, but one day...one day....

Some of my immediate thoughts were:

The Arms and Equipment guide, I agree it was an awesome book, and the 3e one left me feeling sad.

Monster guides I am not sure, I need to wait till I can get Monsters&Treasures, I do not know what creatures on in it yet.

Also as one of the posters above said, I too am more of a setting man. Which is why I asked for peoples top d&d supplements, some most certainly understand which books have more rule helpful info than I would.

Thanks again.

adaen
Red Cap

Bard Games Atlantean Trilogy by S. M. Sechi

Post by adaen »

Pick up a copy of

The Arcanum, The Bestiary, and The Lexicon (note - The Bestiary and the Lexicon were later published together as Atlantis: The Lost World). It is my favorite world of all time. It has the breadth of detail that many of us crave without overly defining the details (i.e., it is easy to insert module xyz somewhere without disturbing anything). It would play well with C&C. And it has additional magic using classes/spells that could be ported over easily.

It works well for Conan, King Arthur, S&S, or somewhat more Tolkien-based as needed. Its sort of a High Swords & Sorcery if that makes sense.

You might even like the new incarnation of it from Morrigan Press.

~AoB

adaen
Red Cap

Anyone else?

Post by adaen »

Anybody else know the Atlantean Trilogy? Come on, I can't be the only one here?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I've heard about it, and there are some posters on these boards who have talked about it, but not too much as I recall.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Anyone else?

Post by gideon_thorne »

I don't know about 'must haves'. I plunder stuff from everywhere.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Re: Anyone else?

Post by Harry Joy »

adaen wrote:
Anybody else know the Atlantean Trilogy? Come on, I can't be the only one here?

My CK knows them well, although he doesn't currently have copies of them, and he posts here. He may not realise it, but I have procured them for him, and they await him if he can find the time to pick them up.

adaen
Red Cap

Post by adaen »

You're a good man, Harry....a good man. Hope he likes them. The Atlantean Trilogy is absolute gold. By the way, make sure you have your own copy!

~AoB

jfall

Re: Bard Games Atlantean Trilogy by S. M. Sechi

Post by jfall »

adaen wrote:
Pick up a copy of

The Arcanum, The Bestiary, and The Lexicon (note - The Bestiary and the Lexicon were later published together as Atlantis: The Lost World).

OK...I'm intrigued. Who wrote and published this trilogy of which you speak? Is it available as a pdf?

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Heh, top 5 must haves . . . can I consolidate?

1.) MMII/Fiend Folio

2.) Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides

3.) DMG/PH

4.) OA/UA

5.) Any/all 2E "Complete" or "Rules Supplement" books

Side note:

Put these together with the Gygaxian Fantasy World books and mebbe a couple of others and you've got a tremendous resource library for any campaign world!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Re: Bard Games Atlantean Trilogy by S. M. Sechi

Post by Harry Joy »

jfall wrote:
OK...I'm intrigued. Who wrote and published this trilogy of which you speak? Is it available as a pdf?

Bard Games. Published in the mid-80s. There aren't PDFs for sale, that I'm aware of.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

My favorites are (In no particular order):

1. Arms and Equipment Guide ( How I wish TLG would do something similar for C&C)

2. 1e DMG

3. 1e Monster Books. It seems like they translate to C&C easier.

4. Tome of Magic.

That's pretty much what I refer to time and time again.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Julian Grimm wrote:
My favorites are (In no particular order):

1. Arms and Equipment Guide ( How I wish TLG would do something similar for C&C)

Yeah, unfortunately it's been done a hundred times before, but I agree. I would like to see a new C&Cized version of the A&EG. Please draw a paicture of a sleeve tangler and a digery-do so that my players will forever stop harrassing me about it!

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately it's been done a hundred times before, but I agree. I would like to see a new C&Cized version of the A&EG. Please draw a paicture of a sleeve tangler and a digery-do so that my players will forever stop harrassing me about it!

-O

The power of Google:

Digery do:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/273971 ... 1865slBtIo

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sleeve tangler (sode garami):
http://members.tripod.com/OniBushi/id26.htm

The power of Google RULES!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Palladium has a systemless weapons compendium. Actually they made two. An archaic and contemporary weapon compendium.

Know your roll!