Glad's drawings of the adventuring life.....

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Gladiator27
Red Cap

Glad's drawings of the adventuring life.....

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's another one I've had lying around for a good while now and just got around to putting the finishing touches on it....not a great one but I ended up revamping the "Athach" (giant with 3 arms) and never did care for either one. Oh well, watcha gonna do? Back to the drawing board, I guess.

I call this one...."Dwarf to the rescue!"

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's an old dwarf that I never put any background to until today. (I've got tons of old drawings that I never completed....I guess now that I'm a little older, I've got a bit more patience to finish em'.)

Wulfgarn

Post by Wulfgarn »

I really like your work - Excellent job

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, I like it too. Superior stuff, IMO.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks for the kind words!

It's much appreciated.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Impressive! Very nice work.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

ironbull

Post by ironbull »

That's some good stuff.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Nice Artwork! Very well done.
ATOM's CLASSIC D&D Art.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Dragged out a couple of other "oldies" that never saw the light of day due to just not getting around to finishing them or getting sidetracked and starting on something else.

This is part of a bigger picture that's really an incomplete mess, but I wish I would have finished it just because I enjoyed doodling the Beholder so much...oh well.

This is one I will eventually finish (when I find the time) of an elf and dwarf fighting a green dragon.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

This is one I did back in 2000 at a gaming convention here in Virginia where I live. Larry Elmore was the guest of honor and was a huge influence (along with Jim Holloway) on my art back in the day. I ended up talking to him both days of the convention and we hit it off. The conversation came around that I enjoyed drawing and that he had a huge impact on me as a teenager and he asked me to draw something for him. Talk about feeling like the small fish in the pond! I sketched this out relatively quickly so as not to bore him and he was kind enough to sign it at the bottom, along with his personal home phone number and e-mail address (which I covered up....sorry) and told me if I ever needed any help, to just let him know. I never got back in touch with him (just never wanted to be that "bothersome fan" but just the fact that he was so cool to me over that weekend was good enough.

I ended up having him over for dinner (Kentucky Fried Chicken...LOL) at my inlaws' house and my wife and I ended up taking him to the Norfolk Airport so that he could fly back to Kentucky (his home). As we were parting ways at the airport, he handed me two nice prints of his artwork signed to me and said thanks for everything. A super nice guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

Sorry for the crappy photos....my camera is old.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Ya. Larry's a good guy. I've been hanging out with him at GenCon for the last several years.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Great Artwork Gladiator27.

Here is one of your pieces adjusted in Photoshop. It only took a second.

But it does improve it for computer viewing. Im not trying to be smug or

smart, just want to be helpful.

ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

ATOM wrote:

Well? Get busy and do the rest!!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

if Gladiator27 wants me to adjust any more of his pictures for him, I will

be happy to oblige.Just send me your email address in a PM and I will send them all to you adjusted.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

ATOM wrote:

No problems, ATOM....thanks for the "adjustments." Unfortunately, most of the ones that I've put in this thread so far (aside from the one you've already adjusted and the dwarf picture) are incomplete drawings that I happened to just put up because I stumbled across them. Feel free to photoshop any of the pictures I put in here in the future.

It definitely enhances some of the more subtle details that aren't all that visible in its natural form.

I'll have a couple more pieces to put up today or tomorrow that I've dug up. My wife's going to need to scan them at her job as they are too big for my home scanner.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Good stuff! Its always nice to view your art. Email them to me and I will adjust them for you, and send them back if you like? Do you have to just make do with your scanner software to resize and adjust your artwork?

Scan them into your computer at a high resolution!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

Very nice work. I especially like the sketch you did for Elmore.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks, guys....much appreciated.

Here's one I call, "Dwarf-1, Bullette-0"....

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's a couple of adventurers about to have a run in with the local Ettercap....

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

Good composition on that Ettercap pic, Glad!

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Great piece! The black background really brings it out, and shows the detailing!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks, fellas!

Working on a piece now with a couple of dwarves and a gnome on a hillside, getting ready to lower their latest conquest....a downed Displacer Beast.

I'll put up step-by-step shots soon. Cheers.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

A tip on black and white pictures, only cause I see this a lot. Scan them in greyscale then bump the contrast in Photoshop. It makes the whites white and the blacks black.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
A tip on black and white pictures, only cause I see this a lot. Scan them in greyscale then bump the contrast in Photoshop. It makes the whites white and the blacks black.

Thanks for the tip....but alas, I don't even own Photoshop.

I know, I know...."what the.....?!!!"

Heck, I just put these up here because I figure it's better than doodling them and sticking them in a stack to collect dust bunnies over time. My scanner is a cheap piece of junk and only allows me to scan real small pages...which is unfortunate, because most of my "better" stuff is on larger sized bristol board. Most of these are just little ideas I jotted down on typical typing paper to keep the ol' fingers limber, so to speak.

But if I ever get a nice scanner and Photoshop, I'll put your advice to use. Thanks again.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Thanks for the tip....but alas, I don't even own Photoshop.

I know, I know...."what the.....?!!!"

Heck, I just put these up here because I figure it's better than doodling them and sticking them in a stack to collect dust bunnies over time. My scanner is a cheap piece of junk and only allows me to scan real small pages...which is unfortunate, because most of my "better" stuff is on larger sized bristol board. Most of these are just little ideas I jotted down on typical typing paper to keep the ol' fingers limber, so to speak.

But if I ever get a nice scanner and Photoshop, I'll put your advice to use. Thanks again.

Well, there is also a free program called GIMP that works almost exactly like photoshop.

I can only scan 8.5x11 myself. Which is why I learned to scan in sections and assemble in Photoshop.
Do you have anything in colour?

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Good stuff G27! Me likey the ettercap pic. *two thumbs*

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Good Tips Gideon! And you beat me to the other question for Glad!
Do you paint Glad? Or just work in pencil/ink?
Decided to defrag my hard drive today! EEEK! Its scary! Its like a barber

pole...painted by Picasso! Have not defragged in over a year.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

I've just started to dabble into color...and I mean JUST. I'm bound and determined to figure this whole acrylics thing out if it's the last thing I do, because I'd love to be able to put some color to my art.

This is my first acrylic ever...and I did this in the past 4 months...

Sorry,....not exactly fantasy oriented, but color all the same.
Here's a couple watercolors I did shortly after the Hendrix painting of a few varying subjects...

And here is my first attempt at fantasy in acrylics. The painting is a good ways from being completed and I've learned quite a few things since I started this one....like, I'm doing tons of things the wrong way. But hey, I guess you learn from your mistakes, right? Eventually, it'll be a halfling, elf and dwarf taking on a Grick that's coming out of hole that's on the side of a grass covered hill that's beside a downed tree.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's the "step-by-step" Displacer Beast pic I mentioned earlier in this thread...

I'm considering inking this one...but if I don't I'll end up adding some shading and tweaking the pencils a bit before it's complete.

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

Good painting and drawing, Glad.

I just wanted to pass on a book that helped me quite a bit in painting. It is called How to Paint Like the Old Masters, by Joseph Sheppard. Even though he works in oil paint, the basics are still there. I am not crazy about his finished products but IMO, the information he passes on is very helpful. Many of the paints he uses are earth colours so that helps keep everything on the canvas *in the same world*.

I am tentative about posting stuff like this (not sure how it is received and all) but things like this book helped me so much that I feel as though I want to share it.