Seafaring in C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Seafaring in C&C

Post by slimykuotoan »

Anyone have some nice swimming, underwater or ship rules for a fellow scoundrel o' the two seas?

I'm gonna place my first 'home made' adventure on the ocean of ill repute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfqe9f1 ... re=related
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Check out Sea Machine from Classic D&D. Or Stormwrack from WOTC.

Sea Machine is mostly for sea battles, but has some decent stuff for ship stats.

Stormwrack includes underwater rules as well as ships. It should convert pretty easily.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

johns

Post by johns »

I wrote some narrative ship combat rules that make heavy use of the SIEGE engine rules. They are largely untested, but I'll email them to you if you'd like to see them.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Thanks guy!
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I liked "OF Ships and Sea" in 2E D&D. Easy enough to alter and fit into C&C context.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

darkdevil21

Post by darkdevil21 »

Thanks!

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I liked Broadsides: Naval Adventuring.

It's d20 but has lots of ship stats that are convertable to SIEGE. A couple of base classes that aren't really convertable (they are, but not worthwhile). And a whole chapter of feats and skill checks for navigation and storms for ideas on what you can do if you like stealing ideas.

Know your roll!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Out of all of these sources, I would say that the most complete "adventuring guide to undersea enviroments" is Stormwrack. Overall, Stormwrack is OK to GOOD, but there are lots of good ideas that would make running an underwater campaign much better. If you are looking straight naval stuff, I would go with Of Ships and Seas, which as Treebore states is almost 100% C&C ready-to-go.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

CharlieRock wrote:
I liked Broadsides: Naval Adventuring.

It's d20 but has lots of ship stats that are convertable to SIEGE. A couple of base classes that aren't really convertable (they are, but not worthwhile). And a whole chapter of feats and skill checks for navigation and storms for ideas on what you can do if you like stealing ideas.

Also available in PDF here.

I've added it to my "wish list" for gaming supplies. Thanks, Charlie.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Broadsides: Naval Adventuring was quite cool ... another good d20 one I like and own was the Seafarer's Handbook from the Legends & Lairs series put out by Fantasy Flight Games. I was never much of a fan of Storm Wrack but the Seafarer's Handbook does cover undersea adventuring as well. I guess the devil is in the details when comparing these three d20 resources.
I confess that I don't know much about the AD&D book "Of Ships & Sea" but knowing me, it'd be something I'd like to acquire sooner or later. But the mention of the Sea Machine is something I completely missed. Time to pull out the ol' Classic D&D material and have a look-see.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

moriarty777 wrote:
Broadsides: Naval Adventuring was quite cool ... another good d20 one I like and own was the Seafarer's Handbook from the Legends & Lairs series put out by Fantasy Flight Games. I was never much of a fan of Storm Wrack but the Seafarer's Handbook does cover undersea adventuring as well. I guess the devil is in the details when comparing these three d20 resources.
I confess that I don't know much about the AD&D book "Of Ships & Sea" but knowing me, it'd be something I'd like to acquire sooner or later. But the mention of the Sea Machine is something I completely missed. Time to pull out the ol' Classic D&D material and have a look-see.

M
Dawn of the Emperors has it.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

bighara wrote:

Cool... thanks for pointing the way!

M

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

bighara wrote:

I loved those covers for some reason.

P.S. Seafarer's Handbook is one of the L&Ls I don't have. I like the series, but I also want to wait and see what the CKG has before I try to get anymore (though another FFG sale a few months down the line could change that ,too.)

Know your roll!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looking at the shield on that cover reminded me how awesome Phillip of Macedon's shield is. (You know, the guy who is father to Alexander the Great)

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Treebore wrote:
Looking at the shield on that cover reminded me how awesome Phillip of Macedon's shield is. (You know, the guy who is father to Alexander the Great)

I thought Macedonians used smaller shields (what we might actually call a buckler) then most other fighting phalanxes.

Know your roll!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

CharlieRock wrote:
P.S. Seafarer's Handbook is one of the L&Ls I don't have. I like the series, but I also want to wait and see what the CKG has before I try to get anymore (though another FFG sale a few months down the line could change that ,too.)

Hehehe... understandable. Pretty much all of my L&L books I got either from the $5 sale or like new from places like eBay. With 4th Edition around the corner, I half expect another big sale close to its release.

M

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

moriarty777 wrote:
Hehehe... understandable. Pretty much all of my L&L books I got either from the $5 sale or like new from places like eBay. With 4th Edition around the corner, I half expect another big sale close to its release.

M

FFG does have their own setting. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a PHB of their own and published it (like Mongoose did here.)

P.S. They already have a name for it. Legends & Lairs, LoL

Know your roll!

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

THREAD NECROMANCY!!
So, has anyone pursued this topic further? I'm toying with the idea of a nautical adventure and I was wondering what people's experiences had been. As far as I know, the CKG isn't going to cover this.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Wow, thanks for bring this one up bighara. I'd been thinking about this topic recently as my ftf campaign has potential for a lot of sea travel (and potentially sea combat).

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

sounds like a great topic for the next issue of the Domesday book!

(not it)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We got a lot of mileage out of the "Sea Peoples" book for BECMI.

dadiceguy
Ungern

Post by dadiceguy »

There is also http://www.scratchfactory.com/Resources ... Combat.pdf that does a good job.

Magic is the cheat codes for the world.

--- the Drummer (Planetary #7)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'll second Of Ships and the Sea. It was one of the better later DMGR supplements.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I'll second Of Ships and the Sea. It was one of the better later DMGR supplements.

Unfortunately, this is one caught up in WOTC's new ban on PDF downloads.

Fortunately I snagged it over the weekend, got it printed and have been dipping into it as time permits. Very much what I was starting to realize I was looking for.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CKDad wrote:
Unfortunately, this is one caught up in WOTC's new ban on PDF downloads.

Fortunately I snagged it over the weekend, got it printed and have been dipping into it as time permits. Very much what I was starting to realize I was looking for.

Glad to see it was what you were looking for. And very compatible, too!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Of Ships and the Sea was the last of the "blue books" I needed -- glad to have found it in print. Not a bad book, but I think there could be more detailed information.

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

Of Ships and the Sea is pretty good. There's also the Ships supplement for Harn, if you can find it, though they tend to highball a bit on the crew needed to man the ships. Depending on the period you're going for, Adamant Entertainment's (IIRC) Corsair has some good rules for "Age of Exploration" and "Age of Sail"-era ships.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Pat Payne wrote:
Of Ships and the Sea is pretty good. There's also the Ships supplement for Harn, if you can find it, though they tend to highball a bit on the crew needed to man the ships. Depending on the period you're going for, Adamant Entertainment's (IIRC) Corsair has some good rules for "Age of Exploration" and "Age of Sail"-era ships.

If you're referring to the Pilot's Almanac, Pat, then yeah it's not too shabby. I never noticed the overshot on crew numbers, I'll have to check that out. And yeah, Corsair is a pretty decent. I'd put them in that order, too, IMHO.

Pat Payne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Pat Payne »

Lord Dynel wrote:
If you're referring to the Pilot's Almanac, Pat, then yeah it's not too shabby. I never noticed the overshot on crew numbers, I'll have to check that out. And yeah, Corsair is a pretty decent. I'd put them in that order, too, IMHO.

Thanks for the correct on the title, Lord Dynel -- that is the one I'm thinking of. To be fair, I'd never have caught it either, but one of the guys in my group (who owns the book and is ex-Navy) was planning on putting together a merchant fleet for his character, when he crunched the numbers and realized that the sie of the ships were accurate, but that cramming on board as many men as they suggest would be feasable but self-defeating (in most cases, we worked it out to being actually double the true number of crew needed).

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Seas of Blood by Mongoose for d20 wasn't too bad. You can still get the pdf at RPGNow I believe. There's a fair bit of goofy stuff (like gnome submersibles), and the file is $15 (more than I like to pay for a pdf supplement as a rule), but the mechanics are pretty portable to C&C.

I was actually fairly impressed with Labyrinth Lord's rules for seafaring and combat. Pretty abstract, but they cover a lot of what you need quite succinctly.

I can't quite make up my mind how "granular" I want to make things. Plotting out a sea battle or chase where the two ships might be a mile or more apart sounds tedious, but so much of what made stories like O'Brian and the Hornblower books interesting was how far ahead the captains had to think, compensating for wind and tide, etc.