AGP Announces Players Guide to the Wilderlands Revised

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
jamesmishler
Ulthal

AGP Announces Players Guide to the Wilderlands Revised

Post by jamesmishler »

AGP Announces Players Guide to the Wilderlands Revised Editions

IOLA, WI April 2, 2008 Adventure Games Publishing, publishers of Wilderlands of High Adventure products for the Castles & Crusades role-playing game, is pleased to announce the release of revised editions of the Players Guide to the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. The Players Guide to the Wilderlands included the core rules and information for fans to adventure in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, and has been out of print for some time. The new revised editions will enable fans new and old to enjoy the Wilderlands using their favorite role playing game.

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy is the classic sword and sorcery role-playing game campaign setting, said James Mishler, President of Adventure Games Publishing. The core rules needed to play in the setting should always be in print and available to the fans. With the new revised editions we will be able to provide the material needed to maximize fans enjoyment of the setting with their favorite fantasy role-playing game system.

The material from the original Players Guide to the Wilderlands, published by Necromancer Games under license from Judges Guild, will be divided into three 48-page booklets. The first on the schedule is the Players Guide to Races & Classes, designed for use with the OGL for the Revised 3rd Edition. Races & Classes includes all the rules details and extensive information on Wilderlands-specific races, classes, prestige classes, skills, feats, and equipment. Soon to follow will be the Players Guide to the City States, a gazetteer filled with details on the history and geography, city states and settlements as the players would know it. Finally, the Judges Guide to Monsters & Treasure includes all the new monsters and treasures of the Wilderlands, designed for use with the OGL for the Revised 3rd Edition, for judges to use in their campaigns.

Each book not only includes revised materials and information from the original, but also new material, including additional races, information, monsters, and treasures not included in the original Players Guide to the Wilderlands. After the first three books are released, a second series, designed for use with the parallel world of the Wilderlands of High Adventure and designed for use with Castles & Crusades, will follow. Plans are also in the works to support the Wilderlands of High Fantasy with further Players Guides when 4th Edition is open for use by third parties.

More information on these products will be available in the next few weeks on the Adventure Games Publishing website at www.adventuregamespubs.com.

About Adventure Games Publishing

Iola, Wisconsin-based Adventure Games Publishing publishes the Wilderlands of High Adventure, designed and approved for use with Castles & Crusades. Adventure Games Publishing plans to support many disparate role-playing game systems and settings in the pages of Adventure Games Journal, and with licensed adventure modules and sourcebooks. For additional information, visit www.adventuregamespubs.com.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This is friggin awesome news!

Now get caught up on all the work your so behind on!

(all those frikkin emoticons and none of them has a whip!)

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

So it will be for 3rd edition, not C&C?

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

rabindranath72 wrote:
So it will be for 3rd edition, not C&C?

Yes and no...
The first three to release will be for Revised 3rd Edition. Essentially, a revision of the material included in the original Player's Guide from Necromancer Games, which is out of print and quite hard to get (going for $50+ on eBay, when it can even be found). There will be three 48-page books:
Races & Classes (includes races, classes, prestige classes, skills, feats, languages, equipment, spells, and gods)
City States (includes history, cities of the Wilderlands, and geographic features)
Monsters & Treasures (includes monsters, new treasures, and various information that really was Judge-oriented that should not have been player info, such as the pre-history and such)

All will be revised and expanded to fill 48 pages... and when I say fill 48 pages, I mean FILL 48 pages.

I'm planning to do these with a color cover, so I'm not able to quote a retail price yet... I'm hoping to be able to bring them in at a $12 MSRP, we shall see. As the City States book will include a full-color map insert, that one will probably be at least $16 MSRP. Prices very subject to change at this point. Adventure Games Journal subscribers will be able to buy all these books at a subscriber discount.

Once those are out, then the C&C versions for the Wilderlands of High Adventure will follow... later. Those require extensive writing, whereas to get the Revised 3rd Edition books out merely requires some editing, a bit of additional material, and layout. I'm hoping a Gen Con release, sooner if possible.

If 4th Edition is open (which is currently in question) and the GSL is open for free in January, there will also be a 4th Edition version of the Races & Classes and Monsters & Treasure books... the City States book, being campaign details rather than rules, should be good for 4E, too... though with some of the changes, that has yet to be seen.

I hope to announce the release date and MSRP of the 3E Races & Classes book soon...

[email protected]

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Very good to hear, James. Thanks for the news.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

'Tis neat. Not sure why releasing for 3rd edition again... since everybody that wanted it in the 3rd edition days pretty much got it. Though, the C&C conversion would be down-right awesome.

I sure hope James Mishler hired a bunch of staff and freelancers.

Good luck.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

Thanks for the clarification James.

Although I wonder, why are you going to publish a 3e book considering that it is now defunct?

Antonio

sieg

Post by sieg »

Yeah....though I suppose it might be useful for Pizo's Pathfinder sorta-3X-RPG.

I'll just wait 'till the C&C versions come out.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

rabindranath72 wrote:
Although I wonder, why are you going to publish a 3e book considering that it is now defunct?

1) There are still quite a few folks who have wanted to get the 3E book and have not been able to find it;

2) There are still a lot of folks who play 3E who have yet to try the Wilderlands, and the 3E Player's Guide is the best way to get them to try;

3) 3E is as defunct today as 1E was in 1989...

4) The return on investment can be quite good, as time to revise and edit is minimal, and through Print-on-Demand, I'll have almosst no inventory costs;

Most importantly...

5) While I publish the three books for 3E, everything else will be for C&C. There are going to be 3E players for quite some time yet, just as there were 1E and 2E players for long after those systems were no longer supported (the idea of 3E "grognards" is... odd). Having three print-on-demand books to service that community certainly can't hurt, especially as their circle of available products ever shrinks and those of C&C grows...

So really, the reason is that with minimal amount of effort I can get a decent number of sales to people who need exposure to the Wilderlands, and whose exposure to the Wilderlands will, if successful, engender in them a desire to buy other Wilderlands products... all of which will be for Castles & Crusades.

Minimal Effort => Quick Money => Wilderlands Converts => More C&C Players

[email protected]

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, I for one will be buying the 3E version, despite already having it. 3E is largely as easy to use with C&C as any other edition of the game. Your also adding content, so thats nothing but goodness. Plus I will buy the C&C versions when your finally able to get them out. Simply because I think I can't have too much WL goodness.

I also think there will be a lot more people staying with 3E than people think. Even the message boards have about 40% or more of them staying 3E, and everyone I have managed to talk to in game stores, and who say they don't go to message boards, have said they have no desire to go 4E.

So there is going to be a sizeable 3E market. The trick is to get them to discover your WL product line.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

sieg wrote:
Yeah....though I suppose it might be useful for Pizo's Pathfinder sorta-3X-RPG.

I'll just wait 'till the C&C versions come out.

Because, someone like me who got turned onto the wilderlands AFTER it was announced for C&C and has nothing for it except for what James has produced so far. I don't even have a friggen map. so anything I can get that will allow me to make sense of this material I already have will help.

cheers,

J.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I think it's a good idea all around. I, like Treebore, already own the original 3rd Edition version and will consider picking up this version. I will definitely pick up the C&C version.

Here's an interesting idea but one which may have already been considered (and rejected): Why not have the this have dual-stats instead of different book versions?

Either way, it will be a welcome addition.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

sieg

Post by sieg »

J-Man,

Have you tried Noble Knight Games? I haven't looked recently but in the past they've generally had the Necro WL stuff in stock.

I'd be rather more interested in dual statted stuff myself.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Unfortunately, dual-statted books almost double the page count and the cost... and are less appealing to a broader audience. This way, the buyer gets exactly what she wants for the system she uses.

All things considered, the C&C books will probably have more campaign setting detail than the Revised 3rd Edition books, as I can excise the whole chapter on skills and feats (save for languages), and the race and class sections will be much shorter, too, as there will be far less rules chaff. Or maybe I'll just go with a slimmer book and lower MSRP... hmm.

It's been interesting working with 3E again. I'm much reminded of why I went to C&C in the first place. But there are some fun bits.

For example, I never liked templates, never one bit, and especially the way they worked with the Wilderlands demi-races such as Demonbrood, Dorins, and others always felt stifling (especially the level equivalency thing). I've also never been a big fan of the racial class system of 3E. So instead I've re-built certain demi-races as feats, where you select the quasi-race as part of your heritage at character creation, then you can select other feats that require the heritage feat as a prerequisite. I think it takes advantage of the "malleability" of the 3E system better than a template does.

All of which goes to say that Demonbrood are wicked cool in the revised edition and a viable race to select at 1st level...

[email protected]

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I'm glad you're not going with dual stats, James. For me, those gargantuan 3.x edition stat blocks are a big waste of paper.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Interesting.

May it work.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Geoffrey wrote:
I'm glad you're not going with dual stats, James. For me, those gargantuan 3.x edition stat blocks are a big waste of paper.

Comparing the Goodman Games original 3e DCC mods to their C&C counterparts tells you all you need to know about the 3e stat blocks and the room they take up.

James, I am happy to see that these will see C&C release. I will keep an eye out.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

tacojohn4547

New release for Players Guide to the Wilderlands

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Exciting news, James!

Like several of the other posters, I have multiple copies of the NG Players' Guide to the Wilderlands but will be getting copies of the AGP Guides. Probably end up getting copies of both the d20 and the C&C versions, to support the Wilderlands as a setting and to support AGP as the new publisher to carry the Wilderlands torch!

Rock on, James!

tacojohn4547

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Re: New release for Players Guide to the Wilderlands

Post by Zudrak »

tacojohn4547 wrote:
Exciting news, James!

Like several of the other posters, I have multiple copies of the NG Players' Guide to the Wilderlands but will be getting copies of the AGP Guides. Probably end up getting copies of both the d20 and the C&C versions, to support the Wilderlands as a setting and to support AGP as the new publisher to carry the Wilderlands torch!

Rock on, James!

tacojohn4547

Color me jealous green.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

I've gotten some comments from folks about the PGW that there are things that "definitely needed to be fixed."

If you have something that you've found in the PGW that you feel definitely needs fixing, list it here. If it is a simple typo or other editorial error, no problem. Other things will be fixed as able...

Note: I plan to turn the MS for the Races & Classes book over to Bob and his son for approval on Sunday afternoon, so get your comments in quickly!

[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Please do not make amazons psionically endowed babes with bosoms. Its hould be something based on their warrior woman training, not some sort of psychic ability to be feminine.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Please do not make amazons psionically endowed babes with bosoms. Its hould be something based on their warrior woman training, not some sort of psychic ability to be feminine.

*chuckles* I think what Serleran is asking for is a girl with no mind and no breasts. Strange dude.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

serleran wrote:

Dude, you totally read my mind. That was the FIRST thing I did, was fix the Amazon by excising all psionics. It had NO precedent in any of the earlier Wilderlands material.

In fact, I was the one who originally designed the Amazon Warrior class, then sent it on to the development team. Next I saw it was in the published book, and when I turned to the class and saw all the psionic stuff I literally muttered "What the hell?"

So yeah, all that is gone. The class is entirely rebalanced around fighting stuff. Very Xena-like in many ways (though without all the kung-fu grip style stuff).

All psionics, in fact, are gone from the revised editions. It can always be added in again optionally by the Judge, but as many games do not use it, I'm not going to force it on people.

[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Not exactly, Peter. I just don't like the "psychic warmaiden" approach. I'd prefer them to be more like a Valkyrie.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

James, do you use psionics? I like 1E psionics, but none of the more detailed class based stuff that came later. I like the "random effect" of 1E.

Anyways, did you ever use 1E psionics, and if so did you do up (and still have) a better psionic combat system?

jfall

Post by jfall »

Hey James,

Quick question, will this affect your subscription release schedule for AGJ?

Looks like you have a TON of work on your plate.

While I love the Wilderlands, I've got the 3E material released by Necromancer and, while it's decent, I am eagerly awaiting anything for Wilderlands of High Adventure for C&C. That's where the grist lies for me.
Good luck on your endeavor. I've greatly enjoyed everything you've put out so far!

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Treebore wrote:
James, do you use psionics? I like 1E psionics, but none of the more detailed class based stuff that came later. I like the "random effect" of 1E.

Anyways, did you ever use 1E psionics, and if so did you do up (and still have) a better psionic combat system?

When I ran 1E back in the day, it almost never came up, as I was very strict with the psionics rolls. Never did develop anything myself for 1E; I usually used the materials from Dragon magazine.

With 2E I used the Complete Psionics Handbook a couple of times, but never much. Never played or ran Dark Sun, so again, it never really came up.

I personally dislike 3E psionics. A lot. I much, much prefer the psychic system from Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook. That said, with Altanian Protectors in 3E, I've always simply had them as sorcerers focused on enchantment/charm and similar spells. That's how they are portrayed in the revised PGW books.

[email protected]

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

jfall wrote:
Hey James,

Quick question, will this affect your subscription release schedule for AGJ?

Looks like you have a TON of work on your plate.

No more so than it already has been. As you are well aware, I'm now quite behind. Once the Races & Classes book is off to layout, I'm back on Campaign Installment 1: Player's Guide to the Southern Reaches.

To be honest, I'd run into the independent writers worst nightmare: writer's block. It beat the crap out of me in February and March, exasperated by other circumstances that are neither here nor there. Being able to work on something that is more editing and revising of existing words rather than pulling everything from my poor widdle brain has helped. So things should be back on track soon...
Quote:
While I love the Wilderlands, I've got the 3E material released by Necromancer and, while it's decent, I am eagerly awaiting anything for Wilderlands of High Adventure for C&C. That's where the grist lies for me.
Good luck on your endeavor. I've greatly enjoyed everything you've put out so far!

Thanks! Wait till you see the Rhadamanthia map Peter is working on. I hope to have a preview up in the next day or so... gorgeous. Adn the best thing is, it works for both WoHA and WoHF.

I'll also try to get a short preview of material from the PGSR up sometime soon, feed the C&C beast. I need to get back on track with the Cool Rule of the Week...

[email protected]

jfall

Post by jfall »

Sounds wicked cool...

Hey James, I'm no writer so I don't know if what I'm about to propose is pure bunk but, would it help shake a few things loose if you were to read what people were doing with your products?

You know, like story hour type stuff?

While my C&C campaign, set in your WoHA, hasn't yet started, I am running a small side game with my daughters at the moment. It's set in the Wilderlands but hasn't yet progressed further than The Keep on the Borderlands. Yeah, I've located that pearl in your world James. Worthy praise well deserved.

Bon chance.

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

jamesmishler wrote:
No more so than it already has been. As you are well aware, I'm now quite behind. Once the Races & Classes book is off to layout, I'm back on Campaign Installment 1: Player's Guide to the Southern Reaches.

To be honest, I'd run into the independent writers worst nightmare: writer's block. It beat the crap out of me in February and March, exasperated by other circumstances that are neither here nor there. Being able to work on something that is more editing and revising of existing words rather than pulling everything from my poor widdle brain has helped. So things should be back on track soon...

It happens... I try to think of it as a positive though. It just means I won't have to worry about renewing as quickly.
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com