A map-centric desire for AGP

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
Geoffrey

A map-centric desire for AGP

Post by Geoffrey »

James, I hope you don't take this post as presumptuous. Rather, take it as complimentary.

My proposals might be economically unworkable. I simply do not know the ins and outs of all the costs involved. That said...

Your teaser for the map of the continent of Rhadamanthia has put my imagination into overdrive, especially your mention of it being "equal to 270 campaign maps".

As you know, I LOVE your and Peter's Southern Reaches map. I've been fantasizing about how great the other 17 Wilderlands maps will be when done. Now my immoderate fantasizing is thinking about how cool 270 such maps would be.

You and Peter could become the ultimate in FRPG map gods if you were to take on such a project. At one map per month, it would take 22 and a half years to complete the mapping project. That is, it'd be done in 2030. Chances are we'll still be alive and gaming in 2030, so why not? I'm dreaming big here.

With subscribers getting a map every month, you could reduce the number of pages of text needed to fill-up an annual subscription. That would give you more breathing space as an author and make writer's block easier to deal with.

I wouldn't hesitate to let your text products be more similar to the old JG products. Peter won't have time to do any art for them, since he'll be doing those awesome maps. Let your books be pure text, and let them be terse. I honestly would love to get an 8+ page booklet each month that's nothing other than hex numbers and short descriptions of some points of interest in a given map.

Let whimsy be your guide. Produce any map in a given month that takes your fancy. They certainly don't have to be made in any sort of order at all. Jump around all over Rhadamanthia all you like.

Each month at AGP you and Peter could work on that month's map, which would give you ideas for your 8-page gazetteer for that map, which would give you ideas for the map itself, and round again. "OK, Peter, I have some neat ideas for map 7 of Vanaraya. That means this month is west-central Vanaraya month. Let's get cracking!"

I wouldn't worry about stat blocks (or other details, for that matter) if it bogs you down. Even "Eward, a LE 3rd-level magic-user" is enough of a stat block for me. Look at how minimalistic classic stuff such as Tegel Manor and Wilderlands of the Magic Realm are.

In short, I'd love to see your and Peter's names go down in FRPG history as the two who mapped and keyed all of Rhadamanthia. It would be an accomplishment never to be surpassed or equalled.

Again, please don't take any of this as presumptuous. Take it as both admiration and as a form of begging.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: A map-centric desire for AGP

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Well, Pete's got other things to do with his time than spend the next 20 odd years on maps. Not to mention just a few fiddly little projects that Steve's clamoring for...

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Storm Queen

Post by Storm Queen »

I'd just be happy with getting AGJ #2 out on time. *Looks at empty post box....*

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Storm Queen wrote:
I'd just be happy with getting AGJ #2 out on time. *Looks at empty post box....*

Yeah, I really want that whip emoticon.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:
Yeah, I really want that whip emoticon.

Before AGJ #2, we still need to see the first players supplement to complment AGJ #1. All good things... and all that.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Storm Queen wrote:

I think poor James expects too much of himself. The first issue of AGJ is a whopping 48 pages simply packed with stuff, and there is no way any one man can make one of those each and every month.

I'd be satisfied if James cut his workload by a good 75% and produced an 8-page (minimum) art-free product each month. Truth to tell, even 8 pages of good stuff would be a challenge to write each and every month. Consider that G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and G2: The Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl are each only 8 pages. The actual text describing the Tomb of Horrors is only 9 pages.

I honestly do not know how long it takes for Peter to make one of those Wilderlands maps, so I do not know if a month is a realistic time-frame to make such a map. Of course, Peter would not need to do any illustrations for James's AGJ, so that time saved could be given to the map.

That's my idea, anyway: Each month every subscriber would get:

A) one of those exquisite maps drawn by Peter

B) at least 8 solid pages by James describing points of interest on the map, including "Castles and Citadels", "Villages", "Lurid Lairs", "Idyllic Isles", and "Ruins and Relics".

That would be a good buy for $144/year, $12/month:

$5 for the map

$3 for the booklet

$4 for shipping & handling

I also think it more humane on poor James. Eight packed pages per month is enough to expect of any man.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I agree with you, which is why I only light heartedly want the whip emoticon. James knows how far behind his schedule is, he doesn't need me or anyone else telling him.

So I am just "ribbing you" James, in a completely friendly manner.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you, which is why I only light heartedly want the whip emoticon. James knows how far behind his schedule is, he doesn't need me or anyone else telling him.

So I am just "ribbing you" James, in a completely friendly manner.

Indeed. I consider my subscription as an investment -- it will pay off in due time!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Plaag
Red Cap

Post by Plaag »

A certain someone got to see an almost complete something that will blow people away when it is complete.

Hint: mappy goodness
ShaneG.