Barbarians adding CON to AC

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
jdizzy001
Ulthal

Barbarians adding CON to AC

Post by jdizzy001 »

Has anyone allowed their barbarian PCs to add their CON to the AC? Has it disrupted the game balance? I know it can be done in DnD. I was thinking of allowing a barbarian to do so if they elect to wear no armor, so their CON bonus would be used in addition to their DEX bonus when modifying their AC.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Barbarians adding CON to AC

Post by Rigon »

I don't think it would be a problem if you only allowed it when they were not wearing armor. But would you allow it to stack with something like Bracers of Armor or Rings of Protections? That might unbalance it a little.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

CON adds to HP.. will it work for Monks too? Possibly damage reduction based on CON? I think the Barbarian needs something so you're on the right track to make that class a bit more enticing or unique.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:CON adds to HP.. will it work for Monks too? Possibly damage reduction based on CON? I think the Barbarian needs something so you're on the right track to make that class a bit more enticing or unique.

I agree the Barbarian and Monk need something. I'm not sure con bonus to AC is it, but the do need something.

Damage reduction may be a better solution, but I'm not sure.

I know the monk gets an AC bonus as it levels up. However, I always thought it was a little to little or to slow on the increase.
Rigon wrote:I don't think it would be a problem if you only allowed it when they were not wearing armor. But would you allow it to stack with something like Bracers of Armor or Rings of Protections? That might unbalance it a little.

R-
That depends, do you allow a Barbarian to wear all armor types, or do you restrict it ... If a barbarian can wear magic full plate mail then yeah it would way over balance it. If you restrict armor (I know I did back in the day, but I can't remember exactly what I allowed and what was off limits to them) then the AC bump (or damage reduction) is a good balance to it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I bump up monks' AC slightly. I give +1 to AC over whatever the BTB AC bonus is. I don't see why it is as easy to hit a first level monk in combat as a 1st level wizard (dexterity bonus aside). A monk is an expert in hand to hand combat. That has to count for something when it comes to not being hit compared to nerdy wizards.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Buttmonkey wrote:I bump up monks' AC slightly. I give +1 to AC over whatever the BTB AC bonus is. I don't see why it is as easy to hit a first level monk in combat as a 1st level wizard (dexterity bonus aside). A monk is an expert in hand to hand combat. That has to count for something when it comes to not being hit compared to nerdy wizards.
Rgr that, I couldn't say it better myself :D
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society