Free League LOTR 5e for C&C

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Free League LOTR 5e for C&C

Post by Persimmon »

FYI--Free League just launched a KS for their Moria sourcebook/adventure for both The One Ring 2e and their Lord of the Rings RPG for 5e.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... s-of-durin

So far it's around 600K and 7000 backers on the first day of the KS.

I had backed the KS for TOR 2e a couple years ago and while the production values were great, we just hated the mechanics. After trying to play it a couple times, I ended up selling or trading all my books (still have the pdfs, though). Anyhow, earlier this year they released their version of the game for 5e. After watching a bunch of videos and reviews of it on youtube I decided to pull the trigger and bought the books, which are slightly different from the TOR versions. Most significantly, as you might suspect, the conversion to C&C is super easy. So if you want supplements to help you game in Middle Earth and don't want to do the more complicated conversions from MERP (or prefer that late to the mid Third Age setting), this may be worth checking out. Not sure when we'll get around to playing it, but based on what I've seen thus far I'll probably keep collecting the LOTR 5e stuff for re-purposing into C&C. Some of you may have done this already with the Cubicle 7 version of the game, but I don't own those. Also offers class alternatives that one could adapt to C&C if you want the low-magic feel.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Free League LOTR 5e for C&C

Post by maximus »

Looks interesting. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but 5E isn't my thing. I do have most the TOR pdfs, but never bought any hardcovers.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

maximus wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:14 pm
Looks interesting. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but 5E isn't my thing. I do have most the TOR pdfs, but never bought any hardcovers.
Yeah, 5e isn't my thing either, hence the plan to convert if/when we decide to play in Middle Earth. I think one could even use their character sheet and for C&C. Would be much tougher with TOR, though one could certainly pull it off.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

maximus wrote:
Have you tried The One Ring RPG? It’s quite good and really captures the “feel” of Middle-earth.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

redwullf wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:08 pm
maximus wrote:
Have you tried The One Ring RPG? It’s quite good and really captures the “feel” of Middle-earth.
Yeah, we hated TOR. 75% of the mechanics are pointless. Totally feels like a board game that slavishly tries to replicate the books. The definition of roll playing at its worst IMO. I know Middle Earth well enough that I can convey the proper feel in whatever system. I loved MERP back in the day, but the people I play with nowadays just don't have the patience. But we all know and love C&C so the 5e version of LOTR makes sense for us.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I have to say the map looks pretty cool.

-Mike

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

redwullf wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:08 pm
maximus wrote:
Actually I do have it, but have never played it. Might have to dig back into it.