outsiders

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
solofor
Henchman

outsiders

Post by solofor »

Looking at the paladin's Divine Aura ability it contains the line "Good elementals and outsiders are immune to this effect."
I can't find any information on what an outsider is. I looked in the Monsters and Treasures and Tome of the Unclean books. Demons and devils are categorized as extraplanar not outsiders.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: outsiders

Post by Go0gleplex »

Outsiders would be a reference to those dwelling within the outer planes I believe. Simply a poor grammatical choice in reference to the Good aligned planes/deities, etc.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Isn't 'outsider' a 2nd or 3rd edition category for dwellers beyond the material world, not including undead, so elementals, demons, devils, and so forth?
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

JediOre wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:13 pm
Isn't 'outsider' a 2nd or 3rd edition category for dwellers beyond the material world, not including undead, so elementals, demons, devils, and so forth?
That is what I always assumed it was. I ruled any evil or neutral demon or 'outer plane' dweller was effected but an angel type was not effected . However, why would a good paladin ever want an angle type not to be able to get close to him ??????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I sent the data and query to Product Support so they can fix in future M&T printing (add to creature types).
All the world's a stage so play TTRPGs.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, good luck with that:)

I think various terms and verbiage from virtually every edition of D&D creep into C&C products and their lax approach to copy editing ensures that will continue to be the case. Consider it part of the charm of C&C at this point....
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Yup, leftover term from D&D 3E that was never properly edited.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

How odd that the particular class ability is meant to repel angsty teens!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsiders_(film)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:58 pm

:shock: :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice, I can't believe I missed that! Especially since that is my BGv2's favorite book and movie !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:58 pm

Nothing odd about it. There are days where you either repel the angsty teen or you may well fall from your paladin status! ;)
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Persimmon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:09 pm
Yeah, good luck with that:)

I think various terms and verbiage from virtually every edition of D&D creep into C&C products and their lax approach to copy editing ensures that will continue to be the case. Consider it part of the charm of C&C at this point....
No problem. I work with them on errata for the books

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I would say outsider is anyone off the plane that you are on or you are native too.

Ex Half Orc Paladin from prime material plane would consider anything other than the prime material plane an "outsider"?

Ex 2: On the elemental plane of fire - city of brass, a human cleric from prime material plane casts banishment at a group of "bad guys" he will send away the Devils, but not the fire elements. Be aware, he will likely send back himself and his party if he's not careful!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm
I would say outsider is anyone off the plane that you are on or you are native too.

Ex Half Orc Paladin from prime material plane would consider anything other than the prime material plane an "outsider"?

Ex 2: On the elemental plane of fire - city of brass, a human cleric from prime material plane casts banishment at a group of "bad guys" he will send away the Devils, but not the fire elements. Be aware, he will likely send back himself and his party if he's not careful!
That reminds me of Planescape. I never played or ran the setting, but the idea of it did interest me. I remember reading something just like that in one of the rule or setting books. I thought that was a neat twist on the spell simply due to the setting .... "We are getting overran by (insert a plainer monster) so I cast banishment centered on the front half of the party" .... poof there goes your tanks and cleric .... leaving the mage and thief all alone with all those evil creatures native to the plane you were on grinning before they start to tenderize the meat they will soon have for dinner !

C&C Society

Marcus Aurelius
Mist Elf

Yes Captain K, agreed. Also per the CKG (even though an optional rule book) pg. 179, "Extra-Planar: Beyond the scope of the physical lie the magical planes: the elemental plane of air, the ethereal plane, and the astral plane, to name a few."