What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:All of my gaming-related reading is centered around chess at the moment. I tend to bounce from hobby obsession to hobby obsession. After 12 years of RPGing, I felt the need to push some wood again. I'm having a hell of a time. I'm sure an RPG time out will be good for me and resolve the burn-out I've been struggling with. I'm still running a C&C PBP and will be at Gary Con next March, so I'm not out of gaming completely.
Dragonchess, then?

Let's play!

You gotta a board?

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Wodwulf_Seaxaning
Henchman

Post by Wodwulf_Seaxaning »

Cyberpunk 2020 stuff, Beyond the Wall, Blood & Treasure 1e and Swords & Wizardry Complete.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Considering opening the Dungeonesque game I bought. Not sure. Probably won't play it.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Golden Heroes, Labyrinth Lord (my brother-in-law wants to introduce my nephews to roleplaying games) and the rules to the Villains & Vigilantes Card game.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

AllanSutterfield_94
Skobbit

Post by AllanSutterfield_94 »

I am looking at the new katarina guide of the game League of Legends on youtube. Ya....I am still playing that game after 7 years...

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Just finished re-reading books 0-3 in the Classic Traveller (little black books) for the Save for Half podcast review.

I'm HOPINg we can finally get to Castles & Crusades for episode 7!

Mike, who won't need a lot of reading for that show!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

How to write gaming modules that don't suck and associated material. Some good stuff in it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

AllanSutterfield_94
Skobbit

Reading a review of a game called Destiny 2 as my friend and I want to look for some games that we have never tried before.

AllanSutterfield_94
Skobbit

I am also reading the review section of the steam games and see which games are more interesting.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Currently, B/X modules. Started playing Labyrinth Lord with my nephews, and I'm trying to plan a campaign for them using OD&D, AD&D, etc. modules. Right now, they are playing B1. Thinking about following that with B2, then B3 (The original version). After that, I hope to run the Slavers series. Unsure what to do after that, except that Barrier Peaks is mandatory.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Gringnr wrote:Currently, B/X modules. Started playing Labyrinth Lord with my nephews, and I'm trying to plan a campaign for them using OD&D, AD&D, etc. modules. Right now, they are playing B1. Thinking about following that with B2, then B3 (The original version). After that, I hope to run the Slavers series. Unsure what to do after that, except that Barrier Peaks is mandatory.

You could add in strong links to the Underdark and the Slavers, so if the party really wants to put a stop to slaving, they could go into the Underdark and follow the slave trade all the way to Lolth and her Demonweb Pits. Skips G1 to 3, but the latter part is what people rarely play though in comparison.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Treebore wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Currently, B/X modules. Started playing Labyrinth Lord with my nephews, and I'm trying to plan a campaign for them using OD&D, AD&D, etc. modules. Right now, they are playing B1. Thinking about following that with B2, then B3 (The original version). After that, I hope to run the Slavers series. Unsure what to do after that, except that Barrier Peaks is mandatory.

You could add in strong links to the Underdark and the Slavers, so if the party really wants to put a stop to slaving, they could go into the Underdark and follow the slave trade all the way to Lolth and her Demonweb Pits. Skips G1 to 3, but the latter part is what people rarely play though in comparison.
Great input, thanks!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Reading and re reading Mongoose Traveller 2E. Finally get to PLAY Traveller for the first time in what seems like forever. Already created a competent Navy Pilot. Even survived SIX Terms! Yes, SIX terms! Didn't fail either one of my aging checks either! Doing some more character creation tonight (Wednesday night). I know one is planning on creating a Scientist. Hopefully he lasts a long time before dying or getting booted out due to injury, etc... Not sure what the other is thinking of. Anyways, we have 4 players so far, with more possible.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'm all over The Dungeons of Aufstrag ~ some of the best stuff ever from TLG!!

Also, re-reading Winter Runes (just 'cause of the excellent maps included to augment the fabulousness of the module!!)

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Currently splitting my game-reading time between old issues of the Traveller 'zine Journal of the Travellers Aid Society (currently at issue 6), Dragon magazine (currently at 120), and re-reading some Castles & Crusades for ep 7 of the SFH podcast. I won't let my co-hosts kick it down the road any further, damn it! :)

Nonfiction I'm reading the Idea of Greater Britain; 1860-1900 by Duncan Bell. Nifty stuff about the concept of a "world British state" many ihn the UK dreamed about before WWI. Lots of ideas for organizations and heroic doctrines for Victorious. :)

GM Michael
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Man I am all over the place with this one. Gaming ADHD I suppose. I have been re-reading many of my C&C adventures and Airhde stuff, but I have also been reading many of the variants of d100 gaming, like Mythras\Legend\Runequest stuff. For adventure writing, I have been really happy with the Magical Medieval Society by Expeditious Retreat Press. For those that have never read it, it is a truncated medieval history book that really paints a picture of life in the middle ages and is a fantastic resource if you want your fiction or adventures to have that middle ages feel.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Piperdog wrote:Man I am all over the place with this one. Gaming ADHD I suppose. I have been re-reading many of my C&C adventures and Airhde stuff, but I have also been reading many of the variants of d100 gaming, like Mythras\Legend\Runequest stuff. For adventure writing, I have been really happy with the Magical Medieval Society by Expeditious Retreat Press. For those that have never read it, it is a truncated medieval history book that really paints a picture of life in the middle ages and is a fantastic resource if you want your fiction or adventures to have that middle ages feel.
Then you will like their Silk Road book as well.

Currently reading all my Victorious material for the game I have finally started running, plus reading Mongoose Travellers 2E High Guard book for a Trav game I am in. Also keeping up on rules minutiae for two other games I am in, one Call of Cthulhu, the other is Legend of the 5 Rings 4E.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I was able to pick up several console games from my "to buy" list and I am slowly going through them as virtually all of them were complete, with box and manual, so that made me happy... can replace the ones that I had partials for, mostly NES cartridges.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I was able to pick up several console games from my "to buy" list and I am slowly going through them as virtually all of them were complete, with box and manual, so that made me happy... can replace the ones that I had partials for, mostly NES cartridges.
I just recently found out there are two stores here in St Louis that cater to "Old School Console Gaming"...

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Only been to St Louis once, when my grandfather died, but maybe if I'm ever around that way I can look. Unless they deal online or you're willing to do shopping for me... ;)

But, cool. I wish I had more game stores around, as is, I have to travel at leas 2 hours to get to anything. Not bad but does cut down on frequency. Which is good. For the wallet.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Another flash sale, another purchase (Mystical Companions). How do the Trolls expect me to put my daughter through college if they keep doing this?! ;)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:Only been to St Louis once, when my grandfather died, but maybe if I'm ever around that way I can look. Unless they deal online or you're willing to do shopping for me... ;)

But, cool. I wish I had more game stores around, as is, I have to travel at leas 2 hours to get to anything. Not bad but does cut down on frequency. Which is good. For the wallet.

They are listed online, but I did not look for a website. Google them for this area, contact them via phone or whatever is available, and if they have something you like, I can go pick it up for you and mail it if they won't offer to mail it to you. I think they were both within 20 minutes of my house.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Spade Marlowe wrote:Another flash sale, another purchase (Mystical Companions). How do the Trolls expect me to put my daughter through college if they keep doing this?! ;)
Yeah, I picked up the AA Powers book and additional copies of the Victorious supplements.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Just got the kickstarter PDF for the new single book version of Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea. An inspiring book, and adds a lot of new art. The Ian Baggley pictures especially put me in the mood for a swords and sorcery game.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:Just got the kickstarter PDF for the new single book version of Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea. An inspiring book, and adds a lot of new art. The Ian Baggley pictures especially put me in the mood for a swords and sorcery game.
Just DLed it myself about half an hour ago. Haven't looked through it yet. DLing a bunch of PDF's published by Underwood.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Frontierspace. http://www.rpgnow.com/product/222633/Fr ... s-Handbook

I've been waiting for this a while.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Aergraith wrote:Frontierspace. http://www.rpgnow.com/product/222633/Fr ... s-Handbook

I've been waiting for this a while.
Awesome!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rereading Dungeon World. Again.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

FrontierSpace Referee's Guide dropped last night so looking that over.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition) arrived. Huge book. Has two cloth bookmarks, and might have benefited from two more. Each volume in the giant book has its own Table of Contents, and the volumes are a little hard to find (but the first page of each is in color, which helps.) The somewhat involved combat sequence has been broken down in a way that makes it a little easier to understand. Lots of new art and a nice map.

Revturkey
Mist Elf

Post by Revturkey »

Castles & Crusades books, Leagues of Adventure plus Gothic Horror supplements, Frontier Space books :)