What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Silva the Everdying wrote:
My dad often forgets the power of modern technology!
http://stores.lulu.com/elflairgames

Yeah, but that isn't the boxed set BD shows. Only book forms.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Hey, folks,

I haven't posted about it here b/c I don't want to step on the Trolls' toes (particularly since I freelance for them as well as running my own gig).

The boxed sets are very nearly sold out on pre-orders--I've only done a 30-copy run, entirely by hand, to help finance a full print run of the book versions.

BD and my partner Tim each got special advance copies, Tim due to being a partner in the venture and BD because he's gone way out on a limb for me more than once.

I have 25 of those 30 already sold on pre-orders, and two game stores potentially interested in carrying a few, which will handily take care of the last 5.

I may, in the future, do a non-limited version which won't have all the amenities of the limited one (which includes character sheets, reference sheets, dice, and a signed, numbered card), though it may have some (a photocopy-able character sheet and maybe reference tables) but there is nothing set in stone. Also, it's probable at this point, given the distributor I'm using for boxes, that future sets I do will be 1-piece boxes instead of 2. But that's all way up in the air right now. Assembling 30 of these by hand has been a nightmare; I'd hate to think what 200 would do to me.

I will say that content-wise the book versions are completely identical to the boxed sets, and they have more art. We've got them out in "Standard" 6x9 hard and softcovers, and "Pocket" 5.5 x 8.5 softcovers. Personally I like the pocket editions best (and they're slightly discounted, despite having all of the same art and text of the full-sized versions).

Anyway, that's where we stand right now. I'm going to use the funds from the boxed sets to do a print run of the book versions, which hopefully I can get into stores through distribution. We're planning a free download "quick start" set of rules, but I've just landed a major freelance gig that is going to consume a great deal of my time over the next few months, so those may have to be on the backburner unless Tim wants to try and tackle them.

Essentially, however, the game works somewhat similar to C&C, in that it uses Ability Checks to resolve most things. In this case, however, an Ability Check uses 2d6 and has a target number of 11; to the die roll you add your Ability Bonus (the familiar 6), +1 at first level and every multiple of 3 thereafter (3, 6, 9, etc.)

Combat is based on weapon vs. armor (essentially, you--very quickly--reference a table to see what your weapon's target number is against your opponent's armor). As you go up in level, rather than getting better at hitting, you get more attacks. Combat also uses 2d6 + modifiers vs. a target number. All weapons deal 1d6 damage.

There are four classes: Warrior, Wizard, Priest, and Thief, with "Elite Paths," which are sub-classes. The core book has Paladin (Warrior) and Assassin (Thief). Elite Paths give you additional abilities but require high ability scores for entry and require 10% more XP per level to advance.

There are four races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling, though in the Monsters and Magic booklet there are guidelines for using gnomes, goblins, orcs, and a few other critters as PC races at the Referee's discretion.

It's designed for freeform play, but there is an included (optional) miniatures system for those who prefer to use minis.

The core game is all you need. The first sourcebook, Monstrous Mayhem gives a ton of optional rules, including new Elite Paths--the Ranger (Warrior), Druid (Priest), Bard (Thief), and Necromancer (Wizard). It also includes mass combat rules, rules for disease, underwater adventuring and naval combat, a host of new monsters, and more. I wanted to do more magic items in there, but I ran out of space.

BD already posted the Lulu link. Here's our forums (which are a bit quiet at the moment, but I'd love to see more activity there)
http://elflairgames.proboards.com/

Please note that with proboards you can't have spaces in your user name, only alphanumeric characters.

[EDIT]I should also mention that the three booklet-form (Swordsmen and Spellslingers, Combat and Conflict, and Monsters and Magic) available on the Lulu store is nearly identical to the 3 booklets in the boxed set. The only difference is that the ones on Lulu are slightly shorter and wider (5.833" x 8.264") and use different paper stock (a higher quality, glossy stock) for both the interiors and the covers.

I'm also considering offering just boxes to those who buy the three booklets off of Lulu at a nominal cost (I'd have to cover my costs, at least). Haven't made any hard decisions on that, though.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Looking thru the Twilight 2013 PDF. Gonna roll up a few characters and do some sample combats with the tiered mechanic.

It has to be the PDF as my Hardcopy hasn't come yet
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Been thinking I might, if given the chance, run some Warhammer Fantasy Role Play (1st edition -- I prefer it over 2nd edition) so I've been reading over the stuff I have, to get re-familiarized with it. I must say I love the career system -- if I were to do a dual class / multiclass sort of thing, I might take my inspiration from this.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I just love me some Conan. The mechanics, especially combat, looks a bit clunky, but the setting, races, classes, et al, seem pretty awesome (naturally).

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

serleran wrote:
Been thinking I might, if given the chance, run some Warhammer Fantasy Role Play (1st edition -- I prefer it over 2nd edition) so I've been reading over the stuff I have, to get re-familiarized with it. I must say I love the career system -- if I were to do a dual class / multiclass sort of thing, I might take my inspiration from this.

The career system is -no doubt- the crown jewel of the WFRP system (either version). Although I haven't played it, I kind of like the twist on how it's used in WH40K: DH. Instead of changing careers, you have a career path and some options within it. So if you start as an Assassin, you are always an Assassin, but what advances you take are up to you (within a given range of options). Once you are more advanced, you choose a sub-path within your career, depending on your focus. For example, a soldier might want to become a commander/general type, or focus on things like special ops, or go the artillery/heavy weapon route.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:

Indeed. Playing a game of WFRP2 right now and the occupation/class system is just so fun to play. It is a system that makes it so easy to roleplay a character, not just a dude who is good at fighting. It is fun.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Been awhile so I'm reading over the AD&D PHB.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Today I'm reading Sigmar's Heirs to bone up on some roleplaying goodies for my character in a WFRP2 game. Sigmar's Heirs is the definative roleplaying sourcebook for the Empire Human for WFRP. Tons of info on regional aspects to your character. As my character is from Hochsleben in Eastern Averland, on the banks of the Upper Reik, I need to know how those people live, learn and love.
-O
VAE VICTUS!

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Treebore wrote:
Charlie is very upset with how much 4E content was in Issue 9. Something like 14 pages.

Personally I liked it. I got lots of cool new ideas to adapt to my C&C games. Including from the 4E material.

Thats the sucky thing about C&C, material from any source, irregardless of edition, is easy to use. So C&C has actually greatly expanded my "temptations" on which to spend my all too little money on.

I cant even buy all the "proper" C&Cstuff I want.

And getting inspiration from a game source I dont own the books for is hard. Like, the dinosaur article. Cool I like dinosaurs. But I cant tell if these attacks should be more accurate then say a 4th level thief's backstab because I dont own the books to go with 4e.

A Nat'l Geographic would have given me the same inspiration for all the work I would have had to do to it.

So, in short, save money from KQ and buy stuff I can use faster.

Know your roll!

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Heroes Unltd. 2Ed. GM's Guide. Just started it ... it's big.

Know your roll!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

CharlieRock wrote:
I cant even buy all the "proper" C&Cstuff I want.

And getting inspiration from a game source I dont own the books for is hard. Like, the dinosaur article. Cool I like dinosaurs. But I cant tell if these attacks should be more accurate then say a 4th level thief's backstab because I dont own the books to go with 4e.

A Nat'l Geographic would have given me the same inspiration for all the work I would have had to do to it.

So, in short, save money from KQ and buy stuff I can use faster.

In case you didn't know, WOTC now has a free "Quickstart PDF" as a free DL on their site, plus a free mod, and you can use their character generator for up to 3rd level, for free. I put a link in my post in the "Other Games" forum here on these boards. So you can get your base line comparison for conversion from that.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Got Trial of Blood and Khitai for Conan today so will be reading them.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Picked up Eldritch Weirdness. Lovely little PDF and worth every penny.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Treebore wrote:
In case you didn't know, WOTC now has a free "Quickstart PDF" as a free DL on their site, plus a free mod, and you can use their character generator for up to 3rd level, for free. I put a link in my post in the "Other Games" forum here on these boards. So you can get your base line comparison for conversion from that.

TY.

I'm co-reading (meaning starting one before finishing another) DC Showcase Presents: The House of Mystery vol.1. It is one of those phone book thick b/w comic book collections they've got me hooked on. Over 500 pages of comics.
Volume 1 of the House of Mystery reprints issues 174-194 of that title which originally appeared in '68-'71. House of Mystery was one of those "horror comics" like Tales from the Crypt only not so much focused on horror stories as it was a broad spectrum of weird stuff stories. The kind of thing Rod Serling* got famous for doing in the Twilight Zone.

I'm about half-way through. If you can get over it being black and white and like this kind of story it is really pretty good.

Some of the names I recognised in the credits included Joe Orlando (editor), Jack Kirby, Alex Toth, Gil Kane, and Sergio Aragones(!) as illustrators and Marv Wolfman doing some writing. I learned it was not common practice to credit all the stories within a single issue (and usually one issue had three or more stories) until the 70s so some of these artisits remain unknown.

*greatest all time writer in the english language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Serling

Know your roll!

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

zacharythefirst wrote:
DB4: Dro Mandras. Just bought it on RPGNow. I'd heard good things, and wanted to give it a look.

I think you'll be very happy. DB5 is a real winner too.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I just started re-reading the D20 version of Heart of Glass with an eye towards running it, and I see Steve's announcement that a C&C version is on the anvil. /ponder....

Grendel T. Troll
Ungern

Post by Grendel T. Troll »

Started reading my 7th Sea books again. Might start another campaign soon.....
Registered Linux Minion #299419
Pathfinder RPG Advocate and C&C Acolyte

C&C Society: Sir Grendel of the Troll Lands
www.cncsociety.org
Famous Last Words: "Can I have a succubus for a familiar?"
Registered Linux Minion #299419
Pathfinder RPG Advocate and C&C Acolyte

C&C Society: Sir Grendel of the Troll Lands
http://www.cncsociety.org
Famous Last Words: "Can I have a succubus for a familiar?"

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Black Libram of Nartarus. It's just wicked.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, I went to Crazy Egor's over the weekend, and bought some stuff, because I am a bad man:

Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom [generic AD&D-compatible dungeon module]

Citybook I: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker [generic AD&D-compatible city resource]

Citybook II: Port o' Call

Citybook III: Deadly Nightside

Citybook IV: On the Road

Citybook V: Sideshow

Citybook VII: King's River Bridge

Return to White Plume Mountain [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Return to the Keep on the Borderlands [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Commando [1979 military RPG; original ziplock bag edition]

Castles Book I: Campaign Hexagon Sub-System [Judges Guild; 1st Print]

Castle Book II [Judges Guild; 1st Print]

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe [d20 book]

Judges Guild Journal #0 / I [Judges Guild]

Judges Guild Journal #1 / J [Judges Guild]

Tabloid! [for Amazing Engine System -- completes the collection]

Plaag
Red Cap

Post by Plaag »

serleran wrote:
Well, I went to Crazy Egor's over the weekend, and bought some stuff, because I am a bad man:

Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom [generic AD&D-compatible dungeon module]

Citybook I: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker [generic AD&D-compatible city resource]

Citybook II: Port o' Call

Citybook III: Deadly Nightside

Citybook IV: On the Road

Citybook V: Sideshow

Citybook VII: King's River Bridge

Return to White Plume Mountain [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Return to the Keep on the Borderlands [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff [AD&D 2nd Edition / Silver Anniversary]

Commando [1979 military RPG; original ziplock bag edition]

Castles Book I: Campaign Hexagon Sub-System [Judges Guild; 1st Print]

Castle Book II [Judges Guild; 1st Print]

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe [d20 book]

Judges Guild Journal #0 / I [Judges Guild]

Judges Guild Journal #1 / J [Judges Guild]

Tabloid! [for Amazing Engine System -- completes the collection]

Nice. Would you mind PMing me what you paid for the Judges Guild items and condition (really need some values for the early stuff).

ShaneG.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Don't mind at all, in fact. Used to be part of that process anyway, but ran out of time and desire to track it all... so, I'll help as I can.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well I won a good deal on eBay, that will allow me to check out several RPG's for the first time ever. The D20 Metamorphosis Alpha (or at least it looks to be released by Jim's D20 company), Elric of Melnibone, Shadowforce Archer, Spycraft (looks to be 1E), and 3 Mutants and Masterminds book, Core Book, Freedom City, and Crooks! All for under $25 with shipping.

Hopefully I will get them by the end of the week.

Yes, Slimy. I am willing to sell you the Freedom City.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

I'm re-reading SpirosBlaak. It's a really neat setting that Green Ronin put out for 3.5 and is co-authored by Christina Stiles (a recent contributer to The Crusader).

It's a cool mixture of lycanthropes, black powder weapons, pirates, wildlands, and general bad-asserdry.

Actually, since the Trolls are planning on adding firearms rules to the CKG, they might check out her write-ups... pretty cool stuff.
http://www.misfit-studios.com/spirosblaak/spiros.html

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
Well I won a good deal on eBay, that will allow me to check out several RPG's for the first time ever. The D20 Metamorphosis Alpha (or at least it looks to be released by Jim's D20 company), Elric of Melnibone, Shadowforce Archer, Spycraft (looks to be 1E), and 3 Mutants and Masterminds book, Core Book, Freedom City, and Crooks! All for under $25 with shipping.

Hopefully I will get them by the end of the week.

That is a nice lot, Tree! Good going!

My problem is I'm never finishing what I'm reading because I usually pick something else up that catches my attention. Like I recently picked this up, but I got another box of goodies on the way.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Treebore wrote:

You're gonna get him on another M&M kick Tree....
I have to say though, I thoroughly enjoyed Johnny Ace in M&M, wicked cool fun!

L.S.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Current Gaming Stuff I am indulging in include:

Engineering Dungeons

Unusual Encounters

Towers of Adventure

The Castle of the Mad Archmage

Grimtooth's Traps

Deathtrap Dungeon

Trial of Champions

100 Calamitous Curses

L.S.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Just thought I'd share.... SpirosBlaak is $2 at Paizo...
http://paizo.com/store/sale/greenRoninA ... 48btpy7ev1

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

Riders of the Hak from Zeitgeist Games for Blackmoor as well as Castle of the Mad Arch-Mage.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Frost wrote:
Just thought I'd share.... SpirosBlaak is $2 at Paizo...
http://paizo.com/store/sale/greenRoninA ... 48btpy7ev1

Worth getting, people. Even if you don't use it, it will influence your ideas.