What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'm kind of torn on what to read next, so I'm trying to cycle through multiple game goodness:

AWD setting

WoG Box set

(actually debating which one I want to use as my next campaign setting)

B7 Rahasia (I actually read and re-read this quite often, because it is a spectacular module)

Castellan's Guide to Arms and Armor
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

S.Baldrick wrote:
The Red Hand of Doom. I will be running my first session this Saturday.

That is one spectacular module. I ran through it a while back (probably a year and a half ago) and I must say that is awesome. Starts slow, then ramps up pretty quick. The town defense was a fast-paced, action-packed session and a half. And I put it in Greyhawk, substituting Thornward (on the border of Ket, Veluna, and Bissel) for Brindol. The PCs also salvaged Vraath Keep and rebuilt it for their base of operations. Good times.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Currently reading some DarkSun 3E from www.athas.org. It's really complicated, and way to connected to 3E but the authors did a professional job on the latest incarnation of the setting (release 7). The new DS3E book is 314 pages long and crammed with information on the setting as well as tons of ideas, and some truly innovative design work.

It's a ton of information to digest.

If you are a fan of the setting and of v3.5, then DarkSun 3E Release 7 cannot be missed!

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Blackmoor, the 3e version by Goodman Games.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Mutants & Masterminds 1st Edition. Got a bunch on the el Cheapo from Green Ronin's Gamer Stimulus Package. Figured I already had 2nd Edition and wanted to see the tweaks, plus I can hand 'em out for Christmas next year - an no I don't normally plan that far ahead, its just my excuse to buy some gaming loot.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Mutants & Masterminds 1st Edition. Got a bunch on the el Cheapo from Green Ronin's Gamer Stimulus Package. Figured I already had 2nd Edition and wanted to see the tweaks, plus I can hand 'em out for Christmas next year - an no I don't normally plan that far ahead, its just my excuse to buy some gaming loot.

First edition I thought was a lot simpler. And the main reason I heard for the changes was the characters were all becoming too similar. The same could have been said for TSR's Marvel Super Heroes since they held that several powers of equal rank had identical in-game effects. I dont view that as a particularly heinious game fault so I liked first edition. But, second edition was okay so I guess it didnt hurt to change it. I just wish they would hurry up and do a second edition Crooks! or Algernon Files (the latter from BlackWyrm Games).

Know your roll!

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I'm starting on GURPS Atomic Horror. Science run amok in B-movie adventures.

Know your roll!

Benoist
Hlobane Orc

Post by Benoist »

El Raja Key's Arcane Treasury and Daemonic Arcane from Pied Piper Publishing. EXCELLENT stuff, if you ask me.

I also just finished reading The Stalk from PPP, and it sure is going to make it at my gaming table, no question about it!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CharlieRock wrote:
I'm starting on GURPS Atomic Horror. Science run amok in B-movie adventures.

That's some great stuff. GURPS has some great spoof sourcebooks.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

B6 The Veiled Society for D&D

I1 Honor's Veil for L5R

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

cinderblock wrote:
B6 The Veiled Society for D&D

I1 Honor's Veil for L5R

Wasnt the 'B' series supposed to supplement the red box set?

Know your roll!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I've got too many cool acquisitions lately so I was torn at what to go through next but I just pulled the old Gamma World box set I scored last week and give that one a read.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CharlieRock wrote:
Wasnt the 'B' series supposed to supplement the red box set?

Yes.

With my recent gaming score, I'm taking time out from pouring over campaign settings and am looking at the Holmes Basic goodness.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Yes.

Not so much the Red Box per se, but Basic D&D in general. B1-4 all predate the Red Box with B5 releasing after the Red Box.

The X Series was similar with X3 or 4 beginning the BECMI portion of the line.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

True, true. I took "red box" to mean "basic." But what DD said is more-or-less correct.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I couldnt help myself today and got Mutants & Masterminds: Instant Superheroes. I have been waiting for them to do something like Crooks! that they had for first edition and this seemed pretty close in the store.

It's not. In fact it is more or less the opposite. It is a compendium of player character archetypes which if your unfamiliar with the game is basically the character class but on a more modular level (you can interchange archetype abilities rather freely). This has the effect of being a players' version of the monster manual or other villain collections.

Not bad, just wasnt what I expected. And I got the GM Screen with it so it was well worth it. And if I may say in our games we always had that one person who didnt want to play and decided at the last minute to play. Now, instead of having everybody take a collective nap while they pore through all the character options they can just pick an archetype and go.

Know your roll!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

CharlieRock: I couldnt help myself today and got Mutants & Masterminds: Instant Superheroes.

I love this game.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

The Sword of the Dales, The Secret of Spiderhaunt, The return of Randal Morn. Series of modules set in Forgotten Realms for characters levels 1-4. Interesting series and looks like it could be fun. Parts are a little railroady though and a couple of encounters could just wipe the PCs out. Might rework the narrative and some of the encounters and drop it in as a mini campaign in CZ game.

Plaag
Red Cap

Post by Plaag »

cinderblock wrote:
The Sword of the Dales, The Secret of Spiderhaunt, The return of Randal Morn. Series of modules set in Forgotten Realms for characters levels 1-4. Interesting series and looks like it could be fun. Parts are a little railroady though and a couple of encounters could just wipe the PCs out. Might rework the narrative and some of the encounters and drop it in as a mini campaign in CZ game.

I read those not to long ago, pretty good, but I agree on the railroading that goes on in them. I'm back to reading the Dalelands now.

ShaneG.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Crusader #17

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, 2nd Edition. Just learned a few days ago that a new campaign is starting up and I need to bone up on the rules and roll up a character. BY TAAL'S TEETH!!!

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

WFRP is nice stuff, Omote!

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Lately most of the gaming stuff I read is for reference while I'm writing stuff for publication.

Currently, I've been hip-deep in Labyrinth Lord. I've been writing a module trilogy for Brave Halfling (awaiting playtest results for revisions and Parts 1 & 2, Part 3's rough draft is done and being proofed). I also wrote a C&C module for John @ BHP. It's in the queue, but no release date as yet.

I also agreed -in a caffeine induced state of dementia- to write a level of BHP's "Under Larm" megadungeon project. After that, I need to flip through Mutant Future to stat out a mini-adventure I'm submitting to Dan @ Goblinoid Games.

When I'm not doing that, or being productive enough to avoid being fired from my day job, I read C&C books for my weekly campaign.

For gaming inspiration, I just finished reading a collection of REH's "Conan" stories and the first few books in ERB's "John Carter of Mars" series. Rockin' stuff!
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lord Dynel wrote:
WFRP is nice stuff, Omote!

Indeed it is. I've been a fan since the early 90s, but didn't play much back then. Got the opportunity to play WFRP2 only about a half-dozen times or so. The one campaign I started to run just didn't pan out. Now, a new GM has stepped into the picutre who has been running WFRP2 for many years, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play in an extended campaign.

This gives me the chance to read the books I;ve spent so much money on over the years.
::excited::

-O
VAE VICTUS!

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Omote wrote:
Indeed it is. I've been a fan since the early 90s, but didn't play much back then. Got the opportunity to play WFRP2 only about a half-dozen times or so. The one campaign I started to run just didn't pan out. Now, a new GM has stepped into the picutre who has been running WFRP2 for many years, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play in an extended campaign.

This gives me the chance to read the books I;ve spent so much money on over the years.
::excited::

-O

+1 re: WFRP rocking. I love the game. The only thing about it is I sometimes wish the system wasn't quite so tightly tied to the setting. I like the Old Word, but I wish it was a little easier to port. You could do it, but it would be a bit tricky.

Also, if you like WFRP and are a sci fi fan, check out WH40K: Dark Heresy RPG. It's pretty cool, too.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That is another game (Dark Heresy) that I just haven't gotten the chance to play very much. The books are totally rockin', that much is for sure.

I'm looking forward to 40RPG's ROGUE TRADER which comes out in August. That's going to be pretty sweet. I can't wait to see how the authors incorporate that style of play into the game.

As for the WFRP2, the system is pretty decent, but what draws me in is the immensly deep, gritty, dark/gothic setting. The old world has a ton of information to play off of, and makes for an immersive game IMO.

4tw

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sounds good. I have a friend that is longingly looking at the Dark Heresy and I keep trying to talk him into getting it and running a game. He's got a alot of experience with WH40K and this appeals to him. And I wouldn't mind playing, either.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Dark Heresy is absolutely amazingly full of supremely kick ass gaming.

Just owning the book gives you a +1 bonus to CHA.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Do Attribute Bonus stack for owning more than one book?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Crusader 17 and some S&W stuff I downloaded.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06