25 page sample of the CKG

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
GoOrange
Mist Elf

Re: 25 page sample of the CKG

Post by GoOrange »

LordSeurek wrote:Enjoyed the sample Tim. Looks good! I should point out that it seems odd that one would review a book based on a 25 sample as this guy on therpgsite decided to do. Think he is a fan of c&c? No matter. Here is his thoughts on the ToC for the CKG:
Please note that this was only commentary on the ToC and that the 25 page preview was not out yet.

Which makes it all the more laughable.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I enjoyed the sample. Now where's my HB? ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I got to check out a hard cover CKG with the new matte finish last week. I've got to tell you cats that the matte finish really makes the cover look great. All of the colors pop and it doesnt subdue finer details like the glossy finish can.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Go0gleplex wrote:I enjoyed the sample. Now where's my HB? ;)
+++++1 :ugeek:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:I'm well aware of the product. My point was that people asked for it to be offered, so the Trolls offered it. I wasn't interested in it because long ago I was made aware of websites where you can make up your own papers, graph, hex, square, etc...

So it was an asked for product, it was offered up. To complain about it being made available is beyond inane. I don't see why people want it, I can only assume its because they don't know how to google "graph paper" and how to print it out. For whatever reasons, its a product because it was asked for, and the Trolls went ahead and made it for them. Thats good customer service, just because people are too narrow minded or short sighted to see beyond their immediate surroundings doesn't change that fact.
If you can't see why this offering was ridiculous I can't help you. Calling people inane (which I assume I'm included) in this particular case shows the other side, where you would be called a cheerleader and TLG does nothing wrong.

Your logic, in this case, is puzzling indeed.

For the record I think TLG, for the most part, is a good company with fantastic owners. But, even great companies can make mistakes from time to time. I have no horse in this race, I don't really buy pdf's, I prefer books so I am not the target customer.

The 25 page sampler was great. I liked what I saw and can see why the CKG would look good by my other books.
It is inane to criticize a company for making a product available that was specifically requested. It is called good customer service. Just because other customers think it is a worthless product does not change that fact. You, and everyone else, like me, who find it to be a useless product do not have to buy it. But those who asked for it are happy. So to then criticize them for offering up a product in order to provide good customer service to customers who asked for such a product is why it is inane.

You and I don't want or need such a product, but to go to the point of calling TLG a bad company because they provided such a product because it was ASKED for is when it becomes inane. Beyond inane.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Eisenmann wrote:I just think it's funny when the graph paper is called a money grab. I just imagine Steve sitting on a throne like Conan atop a mountain of gold pieces. A platinum piece rolling across the knuckles of one hand and fist full of graph paper sales receipts in the other.
This is one of a few reasons that I left RPG.net and never went back. These threads all fall under the same template, not just C&C but other games. I just stopped reading those threads. At first reading them was like watching a trainwreck, kind of fun to watch and read a long, but then you grew very tired of them quickly. Reading pages of nerdrage siphons of a little of your soul, kind of like reading Youtube comments. Plus the rehash, of new threads of things already covered by people who just get a perverse feeling bashing other companies that are not their favourite. Unless your game was an RP.net darling everyone was fair game. The minutia that some people searched for seemed pathetic that someone would go through all that effort to find one little flaw so they could stand-up and use that as some kind of hallmark to how bad that company was. Which this was a perfect example. Ignoring the mountains of good stuff and basing their perceptions on the one negative thing to make a bunch of assertions that are patently false. Palladium gets much of this treatment, but RPG.net darlings like; 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars gets a forum wide pass.
GoOrange wrote:
LordSeurek wrote:Enjoyed the sample Tim. Looks good! I should point out that it seems odd that one would review a book based on a 25 sample as this guy on therpgsite decided to do. Think he is a fan of c&c? No matter. Here is his thoughts on the ToC for the CKG:
Please note that this was only commentary on the ToC and that the 25 page preview was not out yet.

Which makes it all the more laughable.
Note that this usually is driven by "Internet hero" most of the time.

The good out of this whole mess is it does get some people to check out TLG, on their own and could possible result in new sales.
Treebore wrote:
Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:I'm well aware of the product. My point was that people asked for it to be offered, so the Trolls offered it. I wasn't interested in it because long ago I was made aware of websites where you can make up your own papers, graph, hex, square, etc...

So it was an asked for product, it was offered up. To complain about it being made available is beyond inane. I don't see why people want it, I can only assume its because they don't know how to google "graph paper" and how to print it out. For whatever reasons, its a product because it was asked for, and the Trolls went ahead and made it for them. Thats good customer service, just because people are too narrow minded or short sighted to see beyond their immediate surroundings doesn't change that fact.
If you can't see why this offering was ridiculous I can't help you. Calling people inane (which I assume I'm included) in this particular case shows the other side, where you would be called a cheerleader and TLG does nothing wrong.

Your logic, in this case, is puzzling indeed.

For the record I think TLG, for the most part, is a good company with fantastic owners. But, even great companies can make mistakes from time to time. I have no horse in this race, I don't really buy pdf's, I prefer books so I am not the target customer.

The 25 page sampler was great. I liked what I saw and can see why the CKG would look good by my other books.
It is inane to criticize a company for making a product available that was specifically requested. It is called good customer service. Just because other customers think it is a worthless product does not change that fact. You, and everyone else, like me, who find it to be a useless product do not have to buy it. But those who asked for it are happy. So to then criticize them for offering up a product in order to provide good customer service to customers who asked for such a product is why it is inane.

You and I don't want or need such a product, but to go to the point of calling TLG a bad company because they provided such a product because it was ASKED for is when it becomes inane. Beyond inane.
We are pleading the same case, if it was presented as you said. The $1.00 price tag was more than reasonable and I have no problem with that. I am saying that putting a $5.00 price tag and on it and seemingly copy and pasting the description from the print version did seem odd. When I saw it, I too couldn't believe a company would do something like that. It wasn't that TLG was selling their version of graph paper, it was all about perception of how it was offered. I wouldn't call anyone inane under those circumstances. I knew that it had to be a oversight (Which it turned out to be.) but it didn't change, the fact that the pdf store had listed it as it was.

Now, if the snarkiness continues, after the problem was identified and fixed, then yes those doing it are inane.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I got to check out a hard cover CKG with the new matte finish last week. I've got to tell you cats that the matte finish really makes the cover look great. All of the colors pop and it doesnt subdue finer details like the glossy finish can.
So that means it's shipping now?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Piperdog wrote:
So that means it's shipping now?
Not yet. The Trolls are going to wait until the end of the week so it will arrive after I go on the road March 1st, and I will then have to wait until I return on the 8th to see it. The Trolls are nefarious.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Heh. Trouble with most of the typical critique one sees on the various gaming fora is that its done entirely the wrong way. If someone has a particular problem with a product, contact the publisher directly. Or come to their web forums and state your case, calmly and rationally. Going off to some obscure site that 15 people read and saying "OMG TLG IS THE DEBBIL" and then waiting for someone to get around to pointing out that thread here just add fuel to the fire. Cause, by the time it gets back to TLG, the small match flame has already started a forum forest fire.

In short, there are right ways to do things. The wrong way just serves no useful purpose, and just gets everyones back up. 8-)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

gideon_thorne wrote:...then waiting for someone to get around to pointing out that thread here just add fuel to the fire.
I posted it here. Just thought people would like to see what this clown was saying. No fuel to the fire. Nobody has gone back to that thread that I am aware of and started throwing fireballs at said clown.

L.S.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

LordSeurek wrote:
gideon_thorne wrote:...then waiting for someone to get around to pointing out that thread here just add fuel to the fire.
I posted it here. Just thought people would like to see what this clown was saying. No fuel to the fire. Nobody has gone back to that thread that I am aware of and started throwing fireballs at said clown.

L.S.
Well, I was speaking more in general terms whether it be about the CKG or any other book that TLG, or any other game company, has published in past, present, or future. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The softcover CKG has definitely shipped. I know a few who are reading it right now. The hardback... *drools*... *noms*

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I intend to do a full review of it when I finished going through it. For those who are familiar with my reviews, they tend to be fair as I go through the good and the bas points about a given product. Besides, this is a game I do play quite a bit and like the rest of you, this book is one I have been waiting for a while. Is it perfect? No, of course not but I never expected it to be. The book was not written with solely me in mind. ;)

M