MMO slump, what are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Hal G
Red Cap

MMO slump, what are you playing?

Post by Hal G »

I am liking GW2 but not logging in a lot, I have felt very "blah" about most MMO's since SWTOR, I was so excited about that game and it really let me down..what are you playing?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: MMO slump, what are you playing?

Post by Arduin »

Hal G wrote:what are you playing?
C&C . I prefer RPG's to computer games.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Arduin wrote:

I do both, as a guy getting older it is hard for us to get together weekly :(
So I MMO in between sessions.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My kids have WoW, and I have a couple of characters on their accounts, but I haven't played in months.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't play any MMORPG, but I sometimes will pop in a console game. I just finished going through the entire Breath of Fire series.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

WoW. Bliz got Mists of Pandaria mostly right. Enjoying it.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Occasionally jumping into Guild Wars 2. My main video game fix is World of Tanks.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I've never played video games online before, but I might start soon on a small scale, playing with a couple of coworkers. Looking at something simple and dungeon-crawly, like Torchlight or Crimson Alliance.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Hal G wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Agreed, Hal. I was like Arduin not too long ago. I scoffed at Ultima Online, Everquest, and Dark Age of Camelot. Even while my friends were jumping on and giving me updates of their latest exploits before our weekly gaming sessions, I remained out of the MMO loop. Even though I'm a fantasy guy, it wasn't until City of Heroes did I get into the MMO world. From there, I played WoW, LotRO, Conan, back to CoH, back to WoW, a little bit of EVE, back to LotRO, and SWTOR.

I was pretty heavy into MMOs for a while, but for the past few years I've really reduced my MMO play. And even at my "heaviest," it was never more than my tabletop RPG addiction. :)

These days, I play SWTOR and LOtRO. I probably get a couple hours a week in. Like Hal said, I play between gaming and since I'm not running at the moment (I'm enjoying a SWSE campaign at the present) it's pretty easy for me to sit down for 45 minutes at a time and get a couple quests done. I'm not hardcore by any means - I'm not out there running dungeons or raids looking for the "phat lewts" or stuff like that. I sit down, play a little bit, get a little further along, and get up and do something else. For me, these these two games allow me to do that quite nicely.

Probably doesn't help much, Hal....sorry! :P
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There was a day or two when I tried DDO, when it became free, to see what it was like but I didn't like it. I'd be tempted to play an Ultima game though... I thought they had an Ultima Online at one point. Did it die off?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Hal G wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Agreed, Hal. I was like Arduin not too long ago. I scoffed at Ultima Online...
Actually, I played MMO's LONG ago. I just prefer RPG's is all.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have played LOTRO and DDO before. I got bored after awhile and went back to my older console and computer RPG's. The last MMO I really liked was Star Trek Online but my connection didn't like it.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Yea...I am torn I am kinda playing GW2 but miss the connectivity of a good group to play with.
*sigh* Guess I will just have to do more writing and less playing :lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, my "MMO" is several RPG games per week online for about 3 hours per evening, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and now Thursdays. Plus a temporary of Ravenloft on Fridays until they live or die. Plus the face to face on Saturdays. Far more satisfying than MMO's. I only get into the MMO's when I am only in a game or two.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Man. I'm so out-of-the-loop, it sounds like your speaking a different language, I haven't a clue what WG2 (whatever, whatever) means.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Sir Ironside wrote:Man. I'm so out-of-the-loop, it sounds like your speaking a different language, I haven't a clue what WG2 (whatever, whatever) means.
LOL--GW2 is Guild Wars 2 :lol:

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited

Standard Forgotten Realms package is available for on $12, which is a 75% savings so I'll be getting that this weekend as well.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

kreider204 wrote:I've never played video games online before, but I might start soon on a small scale, playing with a couple of coworkers. Looking at something simple and dungeon-crawly, like Torchlight or Crimson Alliance.
Try Neverwinter Nights (the original plus it's two expansions, based on AD&D 2nd Ed.), there are still some people out there hosting NWN servers. Not sure how much NWN2 there is out there, but I'm sure there is at least some.

What I liked most about NWN was that it wasn't an MMORPG. Individuals hosted servers if they wanted to run adventures, and from that grew the persistent worlds, and then a database connection and tons of mods (called hak paks) for things like a crafting system, adding graphical elements, etc. There were limited numbers of players connected to the server. You could link to different servers, so some persistent worlds increased the number of players that could be connected by hosting different areas on different servers. Some folks even linked to other worlds that utilized the same hak paks. PVP could be allowed, denied, or allowed only in certain areas. There were pre-built adventures on most servers that would respawn over time, and often special events including interactive DM lead events.

If you just want to run some dungeon crawl games, there are a lot of modules, including many of the old 1st Ed. classics, that can be downloaded (and edited if you wished), one of your group could host the server and you can play through them. You can even transfer your characters between modules. If you want you can play "real-time" or completely turn-based. You can even have someone run as the Dungeon Master with some community add-ons such as the DM's Wand that lets the DM override some aspects of the game, spawn monsters, etc.

The graphics are mostly tile-based, so don't expect free flowing views of the world, and it does show it's age since it was released in 2002, but for me it is all about the game play, and NWN rocks in this regard.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I wish D&D online would come out with Greyhawk content. My most played game so far has been Temple of Elemental Evil and I would like to see more games like it.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Julian Grimm wrote:I wish D&D online would come out with Greyhawk content. My most played game so far has been Temple of Elemental Evil and I would like to see more games like it.

Yeah I'd like to see some Greyhawk added to as well and to have a chance to run through some of those classic adventure like TOEE, Keep on the Border Lands, Tomb of Horrors, the Slavers, Giants and Drow series would be awesome to run as well.

On another note, I just started a Google+ game using C&C for TOEE. I've had it floating around for some time and none of us had actually played, so after some discussion - as I wanted to run Rappan Athuk, but didn't want to start out at 4th Level, so I went with TOEE. The gang has now been introduced to Rufus, Zert, Fernok, Burne, Jaroo and the Groove, the Inn of the Welcome Wench, and the Moat House. The party has a Human Fighter, Human Monk, Elven Rogue, Elven Druid and a Human Wizard. Whether they'll survive the giant frogs remain to be seen as they are in the midst of combat with the Frogs. The Monk got knocked unconscious in the surprise round, and one Frog is down. We'll see how it pans out, next session.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

My current C&C campaign is set just after the wars with the players being a strike group hired by the Shields Lands. So far it has been a fun ride. They are learning how being behind enemy lines is not fun. :twisted:
Lord Skystorm

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

I have been flying BMS F4 and DCS:A-10C between RPGs.

Still have a weekly game going; after 6 years or so of C&C we switched over to PathFinder.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

After a hiatus I am back playing Star Trek Online. I scrapped my previous character and started over.
Lord Skystorm

captain_blood
Skobbit

Post by captain_blood »

koralas wrote:Try Neverwinter Nights (the original plus it's two expansions, based on AD&D 2nd Ed.), there are still some people out there hosting NWN servers. Not sure how much NWN2 there is out there, but I'm sure there is at least some.

NWN utilizes the 3.0 rulset for D&D. NWN2 uses some strange hybrid of 3/3.5. It (NWN2) also has an ending worse than Mass Effect 3, but like Mass 3 the rest of the game is fairly solid.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Julian Grimm wrote:After a hiatus I am back playing Star Trek Online. I scrapped my previous character and started over.
Is that like the free one I keep on seeing in those ad's on websites I visit?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Not a MMO, but I did re-obtain Chrono Trigger. I'm playing it.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

not an mmo as well but been playing dragon age on the laptop.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Also not MMO, but I'm currently playing Skyrim on my PS3 - a great game BTW!
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
http://www.rustage.dk
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

serleran wrote:Not a MMO, but I did re-obtain Chrono Trigger. I'm playing it.
That's a great game. I still have the SNES cartridge and play through it every now and again.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I've found myself poking about in Planetside 2, which is an FPS in a persistent world. The game rewards actual tactics and the use of combined arms. Bad day at the office? Relieve your stress by shooting your enemies in the face!
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."