I'll never have carpeted flooring again.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

I'll never have carpeted flooring again.

Post by Treebore »

We've been tearing up old carpeting throughout my house in preparation to put down new stuff. We had already planned on switching to laminate flooring because we do train Service Dogs, and that includes house training. So our old carpet had been attacked by the bowels and bladders of over 70 dogs and puppies. However, after seeing hwo stained the flooring under the carpets were, and how many POUNDS of dirt was trapped under the carpeting, etc... my wife and I were very glad we are switching to wood flooring. Then a friend of mine was over and told me about his conversion from carpet to wood flooring. Not only did he have stains (far fewer than me, he never house trained nearly as many dogs as us) and many pounds of dirt trapped underneath, but since we live in AZ, he said he also found HUNDREDS of dead scorpions! I am very glad to say after doing 2 rooms we have yet to find any scorpions.

So I will never have carpeting ever again. Wood or tile floors from now on. Besides, I much prefer cleaning wood or tile than carpet.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Re: I'll never have carpeted flooring again.

Post by Dracyian »

When my mother bred dogs we always had linoleum tiles for floors since it was quick and easy to seal and the clean up was a breeze for the most part. Also they always bought an extra box or two of the tiles for the when the dogs would attempt to eat the tiles and start chewing at the corners of them.
We have a few throw rugs but I don't think my parents or I will ever have carpet floors if we can help it

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

As long as you're clean, bare floors can help a lot with air quality.

On the con side, they don't go well with gravel. We bought a house with cherry wood floors. There was a gravel 10' from the front door (plus our dogs and a cat). Despite our shoes-off-at-the-door policy, we had to refinish the floors when they were only six years old.

In our current place we installed high-quality, scratch-resistant laminate floors five years ago. Gravel is about 100' feet away, and we're down to just the cat. We still have a shoes-off-at-the-door policy. Normally it looks fine, but when I'm down on the floor stretching and the morning sun is coming in, it's a field of grit and scratches. After a thorough cleaning there's about a two day grace period before it looks bad again.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, right now I can get 7 mm laminate for about $.57/square foot and the underlay for about $.22/square foot at Home Depot, so not too worried about how its going to look in a few years. I'm currently in a manufactured home, so I'll be lucky if it lasts another 15 years anyways.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I have no idea how well trained or not trained the dogs are when you guys get them, and I'm sure you know and are planning on it, but make sure to buy extra so they can be replaced down the line and try not to wait too long before purchasing your back up supply in case they go out of style and are discontinued before you can buy them. However if a store is discontinuing a design and they have a large supply you may be able to get them at a discount