Sci Fi and Supers Savage Worlds pre orders...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Sci Fi and Supers Savage Worlds pre orders...

Post by Treebore »

Any other Savage Worlds fans around here? If so, you may want to get in on the Sci Fi and Supers Companions pre orders. I did, and have the PDF's, if you want to ask any general questions...

http://www.peginc.com/
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Sci Fi and Supers Savage Worlds pre orders...

Post by tylermo »

Just bought mine today, Tree. I was the first Legendary Explorer (for running a sh!t ton of demo games) in the old Savage Worlds Explorers Society. I got my "Legendary" prize some years later, and spent it on the limited edition hardcovers/pdf bundle of Supers edition 2 and Sci-Fi Companion. Sci-fi companion is partly taken from the old Savage Worlds Sci-fi toolkits (pdf only). The same was true with the SW Fantasy Companion, as well as the Horror Companion. All were pdf toolkits w/some revisions and add-on's. Some of the bits on time travel and some other things were left out of the companion, but I have my toolkit to fill in the gaps. Can't wait for them to take the old pulp toolkit and make a companion out of it also. Supers was never a pdf toolkit. Some of that was taken from the Necessary Evil plot point book. Incidentally, Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams (author of Hellfrost and a million other things) wrote those old toolkits for Savage Worlds.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I had gotten the old fantasy supplement, plus a few others, that were for free back then. I went in on the hard covers, even though I think they are over priced for 98 pages, but getting the PDF, which is $15 outside of this pre order, softened the pain enough. Just with my having the HC of the newest version, I'd like to keep getting them in HC when possible.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

tylermo wrote: Can't wait for them to take the old pulp toolkit and make a companion out of it also.
I actually think that Thrilling Tales made for a fantastic pulp "companion." Realms of Cthulhu if you like your pulp horror-y.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I like Savage Worlds a lot, Deadlands Reloaded in particular! We have had a lot of fun with Deadlands.

I also like their version of Thrilling Tales. I have never used the SW system for straight fantasy or SciFi though, but I do have the Horror Campanion that I use once in a while for Thrilling Tales or Deadlands.

How is the SciFi Companion? If it is pretty good, I might use in the future to run some type of neo-pulp or cyberpunk campaign.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aladar wrote:I like Savage Worlds a lot, Deadlands Reloaded in particular! We have had a lot of fun with Deadlands.

I also like their version of Thrilling Tales. I have never used the SW system for straight fantasy or SciFi though, but I do have the Horror Campanion that I use once in a while for Thrilling Tales or Deadlands.

How is the SciFi Companion? If it is pretty good, I might use in the future to run some type of neo-pulp or cyberpunk campaign.
I think it does a really good job of covering all the essentials, plus some not so "normal" stuff. I do think its over priced at 25 and 30 dollars for even a full color 98 page book, but since I got the PDF as part of the deal, I got over that in the pre order. I would not have bought the print books afterwards. Not even in soft cover, so its extra good for me that I caught this in the pre order phase. Thats just my preferences on prices, the content reads to be very good.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Thanks for the info Tree. I may just order the PDF when the price comes down a little.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

So, with the general genre flexibility of SW, why buy ANY sourcebook?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Relaxo wrote:So, with the general genre flexibility of SW, why buy ANY sourcebook?
Well, in the case of Soloman Kane, to have someone else do the crap ton of research and write ups necessary to make the system fit the "feel" as well as possible. In the case of these two? Its simply what would I rather do, take the time to reinvent the wheel, or spend the money to use the work someone else did? With C&C its easy to reinvent the wheel, for SW, it takes a lot of time to rewrite all those wheels. So I spend the money.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aladar wrote:Thanks for the info Tree. I may just order the PDF when the price comes down a little.

The PDF price is $15, but I am sure they will have PDF sales.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Treebore wrote:
Relaxo wrote:So, with the general genre flexibility of SW, why buy ANY sourcebook?
Well, in the case of Soloman Kane, to have someone else do the crap ton of research and write ups necessary to make the system fit the "feel" as well as possible. In the case of these two? Its simply what would I rather do, take the time to reinvent the wheel, or spend the money to use the work someone else did? With C&C its easy to reinvent the wheel, for SW, it takes a lot of time to rewrite all those wheels. So I spend the money.
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense, actually!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Treebore wrote:
True dat. When I was still playing SW, I decided to write a Mass Effect conversion. It ended up being 46 pages, and that was a fairly streamlined one. I wouldn't want to do that much work for every new game ...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If anyone bought these back when I did they have received a major rewrite, especially the sci fi version. So it would be a good idea to DL both of them again.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

uper Powers Companion

Numerous formatting or syntax typos fixed.
Animal Control: Clarified what happens when summoned animals are defeated. (p20)
Explode: Added a Fatigued Modifier. (p28)
Matter Control: Added Swarm option to Constructs. (p35)
Invisibility: Added Projection Modifier. (p34)
Pulse Weapons and Foam Thrower Ranges corrected. (p15)
Power Types: Water removed from Energy list. (p21)
Eagle Eyes effect on Extreme Range clarified (p31)
Paralysis: Strong Modifier clarified (p38)
Resistance: Ability to survive in space defined (p39)
Giant Monster: Toughness and Size adjusted. (p60)
Super Attributes / Devices: Various characters with multiple super attribute and the Device Modifier were corrected.

Science Fiction Companion

Numerous formatting or syntax typos fixed.
Knowledge (Computers) now used anytime coding is involved; Knowledge (Electronics) used whenever the use of electronics is involved.
Knowledge (Astrogation) replaced Knowledge (Navigation) throughout.
Clarified that Trait Increase always increases maximum, and removed references elsewhere to avoid confusion (p4)
Leaper: Corrected text. (p5)
Deaders: Clarified that they paid +2 points for Arcane Background. (p8)
Insectoids: Added AP 2 to their natural weaponry (p9)
Heavy G Worlder: Clarified that you can take 2 Minor Hindrances or one Major Hindrance. (p12)
Weapon descriptions: Dropped Auto. Any weapon with an RoF of 2 or higher is full-auto and incurs the recoil modifier. Added SA for Semi-Auto to all weapons that can fire single-shot or double-tap. (p19+)
Weapons: Updated various ammo capacities, prices, weights, and statistics. (p19+)
Changed Rocket Launcher to Portable Missile Launcher and updated stats (p21).
Changed Mass Drivers significantly, incorporated rail guns into their rules, and updated all ships and walkers that used them (p24).
Added Mega Lasers (p24).
Tweaked various AP and damage values for Vehicular Weapons (p24-25).
Gravity effect on Strength clarified to die type change. (p27)
Cargo space redefined to match elsewhere in the book. (p28)
Electronic replacement limbs now cost 1 Strain. (p29)
Cyberware Leg Enhancement. Updated. (p31)
Cyberware Trait Bonus changed to (U). You can still only take it once per Trait, however. (p31)
Updated Power Armor, Ship, Walker, and Vehicle Armor entries to limit them to Size rather than U. (p33, 45, 53, 60).
Changed Targeting Computer to eliminate 2 points of Shooting penalties rather than 4. (p33, 38, 45, 53, 60).
Constructs: Removed no additional damage from called shots text (p37)
Android Modification price reduced. (p38)
Robotic Size modifies Strength and Toughness, clarified. (p38)
Crew and passengers better defined (p40).
Ship Sizes: Three additional starships were added to enable much larger craft. (p41)
Updated Ship Size Table to better accommodate the new larger ships (p41).
Additional energy costs corrected for movement after hyperspace. (p42)
Eliminated Shooting bonus / penalty based on Climb as it is already reflected in Chase rules when rolling for cards (p43).
Ship Critical Hit Table, Superstructure result. Clarified. (p44)
Using Miniatures range/speed divider changed to 25. (p44)
Deflector Screen Mod cost changed to 2/3/5 (p45).
Ships Updated to reflect new Sizes. Cruiser changed to Cutter, Battleship changed to Light Battleship. (P48)
Vehicle Sizes: Two additional vehicles sizes were added. (p52)
Simplified and tweaked Vehicle Armor / Heavy Armor and updated any vehicles it affected (p53).
Slight tweaks to certain vehicle builds (p56-57).
Walker sizes adjusted (p58)
Walker Sizes: Two additional mech sizes were added. (p58)
World Maker: Switched Tables 9 and 10, changed modifiers. (p65)
Laser stats corrected throughout Xenos and Travellers section. (p66+)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

A nice review on the Sci Fi Companion PDF:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... -Companion