Pieces and parts from older games you use

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Pieces and parts from older games you use

Post by Arduin »

I find that I use general tables and charts from lots of games. Here is one I've used in just about every campaign I have run since I saw this chart. What have you brought forward?

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Re: Pieces and parts from older games you use

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Not even sure I could list every source. It's hard enough to describe what rules I'm using any time I GM.

- For instance, I'm running a Hero Kids campaign for our youngest grandson and his friends. We call it a Hero Kids campaign because I let them use HK character cards. The GM, little ole me, uses RQ 1978, OD&D, Tunnels & Trolls 7.5, Traveller, and who knows what in the back of my mind? The only rule which is hard and fast - and I have no idea from whence it came - is that if a player wants her/his character to be or try something which would be entertaining (especially to me) it succeeds, no matter what the dice say.

- Off & on I play and run in a couple of TnT games. Same applies to the grown-ups as to the kids.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I readily use the AD&D 2nd Edition Greyhawk specific encounter charts based on terrain. These came from the box set From the Ashes (reference cards) and the Greyhawk Appendix for the Monstrous Compendium. I love those encounter tables.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I use rules that are old, but new to me. For instance, I am totally yoinking Omote's idea in the post above mine for my Greyhawk games.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Some neat stuff listed here.

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I use quite a lot of things, mainly from the Arduin RPG and The Arcanum (as well as its child, Talislanta) but also various concepts from Gamma World, Earthdawn, En Garde!, etc etc.

Oh, and I like to use Call of Cthulhu's SAN mechanisms but not exactly as they are written.

My next mission in gaming is to try to use some rule from every RPG I own. That will be seriously interesting.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:
My next mission in gaming is to try to use some rule from every RPG I own. That will be seriously interesting.
That would be something to experience!

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've decided for my next campaign, which current one wraps up after we finish Tegal Manor and Expedition to Barrier Peaks, we will use many of the classes as written for 1E AD&D, except the Barbarian, and possibly the Monk, I'll likely have us stick with the C&C version for those two classes. Plus it isn't like the Wizard and Illusionist are terribly different from 1E either. I will be going with the 1E Bard.

Plus I will probably go with all the magic items from 1E as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote: I will be going with the 1E Bard.
Probably the rarest class to ever see the light of day in a D&D type game...

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Yep, I am the only one I know of to ever play one. Maxed out in Fighter, Thief, and got to 14th level in Bard. He was pretty much a demi god.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Yep, I am the only one I know of to ever play one. Maxed out in Fighter, Thief, and got to 14th level in Bard. He was pretty much a demi god.
In all my years I have never seen one that was played from "the ground up". Only created ones as NPC's. Yeah, they look very powerful per the rules when high level.

House Rules

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Wow, I stared trying to make one back in the day. But the party (a little less scrupulous and more evil than I liked) decided I'd be to powerful and stabbed me in my sleep ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Wow, I stared trying to make one back in the day. But the party (a little less scrupulous and more evil than I liked) decided I'd be to powerful and stabbed me in my sleep ...

I don't blame them. Playing a Bard through all those levels in 1E adventures, your a Christmas tree of magic items, Cast spells as a 12th level druid, and have a LOT of HP. Think my Bard has 144 HP. Plus his AC was, I think, -7 or -8. Don't forget, I had a Fighters BtH, number of attacks, and SPECIALIZATIONS. So yeah, a Bard does become majorly bad azzzzz.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:I will be going with the 1E Bard.
I know what my next character will be. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

17 bards in every million rolls: http://muleabides.wordpress.com/2012/02 ... y-to-play/
Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

I don't blame them. Playing a Bard through all those levels in 1E adventures, your a Christmas tree of magic items, Cast spells as a 12th level druid, and have a LOT of HP. Think my Bard has 144 HP. Plus his AC was, I think, -7 or -8. Don't forget, I had a Fighters BtH, number of attacks, and SPECIALIZATIONS. So yeah, a Bard does become majorly bad azzzzz.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:17 bards in every million rolls: http://muleabides.wordpress.com/2012/02 ... y-to-play/
Yeah, and I survived maxing out in Fighter, then Thief.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I tend to supplement my rules from AD&D mostly but I will borrow from 3e every now and then.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:I tend to supplement my rules from AD&D mostly but I will borrow from 3e every now and then.
Yeah, I already reference 1E fairly often, but I also use 3E a decent amount too. Like I have had players able to earn character advantages since early in my 2E days, but now I couch it in terms of "Feats", since most players have played 3E, so pick up on what I mean by advantages faster. I also use the 3E Armor/magic stacking rules, since it accounts for all the terms C&C uses, and since 1E does not, such as Natural Armor and Luck bonus'. Plus its pretty much identical to the 1E rules, and is different in that it accounts for the newer armor terms.

I stole my Arcane/Divine Blast idea from 4E, but if you read it, its obviously altered to fit C&C and the SIEGE engine.

My Polymorph House rules are also pulled from 3E errata discussions, to make the spells less "broken", or "breakable".

My Teleporting house rules are my own.

My Natural Healing House rules are a blend of the new Hackmaster and 5E D&D rules.

My Runemark write up is my "conversion" from the D20 TLG version. Which I like much better than TLG's current version, mostly because I didn't want a different magic system to learn to use. My Runemark is different enough, mechanically, to feel and play differently, so I don't desire to have to master CKing a whole new magic system.

My Elemental Druid is pulled/converted/adapted from a D20 product by a Third Party Publisher setting book.

I think the rest of my rules were created by me and/or my players to answer specific questions that have come up in game play over the years. Aside from my class tweaks, I think all those are pretty much my ideas, which were likely sparked by things people mentioned on various forums, most likely this one.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote: I also use the 3E Armor/magic stacking rules, since it accounts for all the terms C&C uses, and since 1E does not, such as Natural Armor and Luck bonus'.
Yes. This is something that should end up in a future CKG. I like pulling monsters & magic items (plus an occasional spell) from Arduin booklets.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Also, my Energy Drain House Rules are completely my idea, I think. I don't recall seeing it anywhere else. With how many RPG's I play, and have played, over the years, maybe I did see it some where else.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote: I like pulling monsters & magic items (plus an occasional spell) from Arduin booklets.

Oh, yeah, I definitely pull things like that from all kinds of sources, Arduin, Harn, Rolemaster, Paladium Fantasy, Chivalry and Sorcery, Tunnels and Trolls, etc...

Not for my current campaign, though. Thats because the whole premise for it was to play through a whole bunch of 1E modules "as written", to give everyone the experience of having done so.