Alternative to vancian casting

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
jdizzy001
Ulthal

Alternative to vancian casting

Post by jdizzy001 »

I got this idea from the sovereign stone rpg. Instead of fire and forget or mp based spells, try seige checks. In order to cast a spell the magic user musr succeed at a seige check of 12+spell level. Success allows them to cast the spell, but failure means they must try again next round. As a perk, what ever their total is from the seige check can be carried over to the next round and added to the next seige check. This means it will take about 2 rounds to cast a spell, but since the spell is available to be used multiple times, the trade off is worth it.

Additionally, at the beginning of each round that a magic user is trying to cast a spell held over from the previous round, they must make a saving throw. Failure results in sustaining 1d4 dmg.

Example, a wizard is casting magic missile. A level one spell. To cast it, the wizard must succeed at a seige check.12 for CB and 1 ( the spell's level) for the CL. the die is cast: 5 (ouch), add casting attribute (int for wizards) +2 and level of pc (he's level 1). A total of 8. Darn. No spell this round, but the wizard may try again next round. At the start of the wizard's next turn they continue to cast. However, magic is taxing, the wizard must make a saving theow (I was thinking CON or WILL) CB of 12/18 and a CL of X (X=number of rounds, beyond the first, spent casting. In this case 1). The wizard succeeds (failure means taking 1d4 dmg). Now, the 8 from last round remains in play. The wizard rolls again... Another 5, today is not his lucky day. Oh well, 5+2+1= another 8. Take the 8 from last round and combine it with the 8 from this round and, viola! The wizard has beat the seige check and successfully cast magic missile.

The idea is to allow magic users to use their spells over and over again, but not allow them to fire magic missiles willy nilly. This system does have some flaws, IE a cleric who casts cure light wounds all day long outside combat.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Alternative to vancian casting

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I've given thought to using the SIEGE engine for spellcasting off and on for years now, but haven't given it a try.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Check out how the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG does spells. When you cast, you roll a d20, add your ability modifier and your level, then check a chart. the better the roll the greater the result. so a magic missile could be a dozen or one. Roll below a 12, the spell fails. roll a 1, and you have the potential of either magical corruption affecting your body, or Diety disapproval, which makes it more likely the next spell cast will fail.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

That sounds pretty neat. Persoanlly, I don't like consulting charts during combat. Pc down time is fine, but combatneeds to be fast paced, and with the type of groups i usually play with (noobs) checking charts slows combat.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

jdizzy001 wrote:That sounds pretty neat. Persoanlly, I don't like consulting charts during combat. Pc down time is fine, but combatneeds to be fast paced, and with the type of groups i usually play with (noobs) checking charts slows combat.
DCC RPG has a sweet little app that makes the dice roll for you and up pops the result, and time is saved from flipping to the chart yourself.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

*that* would be very helpful!