Best published adventure of all time.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Best published adventure of all time.

Post by slimykuotoan »

In your opinion, what is it?
For crying out loud. Do your best with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Best published adventure of all time.

Post by Treebore »

Of all time? Thats pretty much impossible to decide. Then again, I probably own over 80% of all adventures ever published, at least for D&D, so I have lots of really good ones to choose from. Plus, how they played out when I ran them has a lot to do with it as well. Which often has little or nothing to do with how its written.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Personally, my favorite is S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Is it the best? Not necessarily, but it was the most fun. If I had to pick a best published adventure, it probably would be B2: Keep on the Borderlands since you have an entire campaign there which can last for a long time.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are simply too many. Ravenloft, Morrick Mansion, Lost City of Barakus, Tomb of Abysthor, Trouble in Durbenford, The Gauntlet and the Sentinel, Saltmarsh, and at least a couple of dozen more I could list.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Traveller wrote:Personally, my favorite is S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Is it the best? Not necessarily, but it was the most fun. If I had to pick a best published adventure, it probably would be B2: Keep on the Borderlands since you have an entire campaign there which can last for a long time.
My favorite is also S3. I agree with you... it's not necessarily the best, but it was a blast when I ran it in the 80's and it holds a dear place in my gaming heart. :)

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

B2 KOTB. There are so many different ways that module can be played. It makes for a great starting point in any campaign.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

narpet wrote:
...... it's not necessarily the best, but it was a blast when I ran it in the 80's and it holds a dear place in my gaming heart. :)
I've been trying to figure out what it I would call the best ... it was to hard, there are just tooooo many good ones to say 'best'.

However, that holding a dear place in the hart made it easier. However, still a few were in the running, neck & neck. Then I reread
Treebore wrote:There are simply too many. Ravenloft, Morrick Mansion, Lost City of Barakus, Tomb of Abysthor, Trouble in Durbenford, The Gauntlet and the Sentinel, Saltmarsh, and at least a couple of dozen more I could list.
& it hit home ...

Ravenloft, the original . The first time I played it and had no idea what Ravenloft was (well back then I guess would morph into).

It was one of the few times I wasn't DMing, (it was my best friend that had shied away from DMing, Then after this, he got Beyond the Supernatural, and ran it . So, I guess horror (ish) DMing was his niche and something I was never good at). I was expecting a normal adventure, raid the castle, etc etc etc. It caught me flat footed, and I loved it!!!!!

So with that, measured by a 'dear place in my gaming heart' , it is Ravenloft by a vampire's fang!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm not familiar with enough published adventures to speak with any authority, but the best module I am familiar with is S2 - White Plume Mountain.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Crucible of Freya, Necromancer Games.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:The Crucible of Freya, Necromancer Games.

~O
Notice 4 of the modules I did bother to specifically mention are from Necromancer? I could name a bunch more from Frog God too. Too darn many really good ones!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Of all time? I can't see into the future with any accuracy so I'll have to wait for those modules to come around. ;)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

S1: Tomb of Horrors.

It has everything and can be played by anyone, of any skill level, to the same result -- success or failure. It being a lethal dungeon is a bonus.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

S2 (White Plume Mountain) & S3 (Expedition to the Barrier Peaks), in a tie, for the same reasons stated for S3 above: not the best, maybe, but the best experiences playing them. That I was a player and not a DM for these certainly help, too, because being on that side of the DM screen is a rarity.

*reminds self to spur his 13 year-old to work on something over Easter break*
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:

~O
Notice 4 of the modules I did bother to specifically mention are from Necromancer? I could name a bunch more from Frog God too. Too darn many really good ones!
Sounds to me like you really want to run a lost lands campaign. ;) Block off the next five years

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:

~O
Sounds to me like you really want to run a lost lands campaign. ;) Block off the next five years
Lost Lands Border Provinces, the Northlands Saga, lot of great stuff. 10 years.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I've been thinking about this for the last two weeksn and re-reading many of the great adventures and it leads my back to my original thought:

B1 In Search of the Unknown ~ by Mike Carr.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Thought about this for a while and I have to say it comes down to B2 Keep on the Borderlands by Gary Gygax. I realize that many have played in it and/or have run it over the years and so it may not be as popular as it once was, but this module has it all: Wilderness area with set encounters, The Keep (which is pretty much a detailed town in itself), and a good-sized dungeon; all of these developed and ready to go, but also generic enough for the DM to add details. It also comes with advice for new DMs, refrence tables, rumor table, statted out NPCs, and plenty of useful maps.