View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Rogue One 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Rogue One
Can't wait to hear the reviews.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Rogue One
I can't see it for a week or so.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:53 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Well, I have tickets to watch it with my family on Thursday. I'm sure some one around here will be talking about it before then ... I hope...

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:12 am
Mogrl

My friends who have already seen it say its very good.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:24 pm
Battle Stag

It's good.

~O

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Ungern

Agreed. A prequel worthy of the series.
Tons of Easter Eggs, keep your eyes open.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:00 am
Red Cap

Just got back from seeing it. Something makes me say it wasn't great... but it was good. I really enjoyed it, especially the ending. Being a child of the 70's... having sat in a theater to watch the first Star Wars movie (12 times)... it touched me as it built to the point of the beginning of that first film.

I can't really explain why I didn't think it was great... but it was a lot of fun, and very good.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:47 am
Lore Drake

I think it was good, and a decent case can be made that it's best Star Wars movie made thus far. It was familiar, yet had a different feel- felt more serious to me.

And yes, lots of Easter eggs, i caught quite a few but sure there were more.

-Fizz

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 pm
Unkbartig

It was a pretty good action movie. Really helps to drive home the struggles that the Rebel Alliance went through every day.

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 am
Global Moderator

I liked it, and enjoyed the fact that it ends just a few hours before A NEW HOPE begins. I went home after seeing ROGUE ONE and re-watched ANH to get the rest of the story.

(By the way, the original movie should just be STAR WARS. Calling it A NEW HOPE just feels strange...)

MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Quote:
Really helps to drive home the struggles that the Rebel Alliance went through every day.

Yes, well said, that's what i was trying to get at when i said different tone. Earlier movies were just 'good guys' vs 'bad guys', but this one had a more desperate sense to it.

I did encounter one continuity error, near the end, which bugs me a bit. I don't want to say what because then it'd be a potential spoiler.

-Fizz

Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Ok I saw it yesterday and liked it, ... a lot ...

I can't say it was the best, I preferred IV and V a little more. However, I liked it much better than I II & III. So it is in the pack with VI (minus the ewoks, never liked the ewoks). However, picking ANH & ESB above it may just be because of nostalgia reasons.

With that, my older daughter says Rogue was her favorite one of the movies , and she is 9 and doesn't have the same 'love' for the original movies that I do.

For the movie itself, I loved the grittier feel of it. Same as what Fiz and ssf are referring to. More 'grim hard eyed' guys doing hard things for the cause. It fits more with historic freedom fights and rebellions.

Also, I love that it vindicated my argument for years that AT-ATs were susceptible to star fighter 'level/power' weapons. It also showed me that door gunners even in the future are a bit off mentally, but their focused repeated (and I mean repeated hammering the same spot) shots even into armored area of an AT-AT can bring it down, not just "CAS" from an X- wing.

I also like to see just how effective Y wings could be against big ships. Shows why in VI (I think, I may be off a movie) the star destroyer captain called for all shields forward, and to not let those fighters through!

Also, I like to see how the rebellion was 'fractured' with different groups/leaders having different ... what is the words ... outlooks, commitment levels ...Not sure that is spot on, so you'll just have to watch it and see what I mean.

finarvyn wrote:
I liked it, and enjoyed the fact that it ends just a few hours before A NEW HOPE begins. I went home after seeing ROGUE ONE and re-watched ANH to get the rest of the story.

(By the way, the original movie should just be STAR WARS. Calling it A NEW HOPE just feels strange...)

Nice, I can see myself and my daughters doing that when Rogue 1 comes out on DVD, it'll drive my wife crazy, but that is her problem, not mine and the girls ;)

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:48 pm
Ulthal

Nerd voice: Actually those were AT-ACT Walkers.

I loved this movie. I thought it was the equal of Empire Strikes Back and a much better film overall than last year's. I kind of see it as Star Wars for grown ups.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 am
Greater Lore Drake

I saw it yesterday. I'd rate it as okay to good. Most of the reviews I have seen are fairly glowing. I don't get it. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 85%. That number seems high to me. I think the fact it is a Star Wars movie is pushing people to like it more than they should (and probably making me dislike it more than it maybe deserves). I have a whole list of problems with the movie, but I don't want to post spoilers at this point. One fundamental issue I have is that, unlike the original Star Wars movies, Rogue One is NOT a children's movie. It is grim. It is also complicated to follow at the beginning (reminiscent of Phantom Menace). It also suffers from a problem The Force Awakens had -- I can barely remember any of the characters' names. When I watched Star Wars as a kid, I came out of the theater knowing everything, largely because the story was pretty damn simple and clean with strong characters. The new writers are trying to write more complicated stories for adult fans and losing part of what made the original Star Wars movies awesome. Rogue One also suffers from quite a few plot holes. I can't get more specific with my criticisms without dropping spoilers.

Tl;dr version -- Rogue One is better than the prequels, but that isn't saying much. Fanboys will love it. I thought it was okay to good.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:43 pm
Ulthal

Gritty. That's the word that comes to mind. The movie exceeded my expectations; the action scenes were great. I went in somewhat skeptical based on the retread that Force Awakens was. Sure there were a few plot issues, but all in all the movie was good. I do agree with Buttmonkey that the names didn't stick in my mind like those from the original movie.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:52 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Saw it, and really enjoyed it.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 am
Mogrl

slimykuotoan wrote:
Saw it, and really enjoyed it.

\
Ditto. Just last night, in fact.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 am
Lore Drake

I really liked this movie.

Chirrut Îmwe, played by Donnie Yen, was my favorite character by far, really neat to see a non-jedi force user!

And Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrara, serious acting chops that man has.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 am
Greater Lore Drake

P.S. I purchased a 6" Black Series Imperial Hovertank Pilot afterward, and an Imperial Shuttle. :)

Ridiculously cool:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/A3WRQOU3Mqc/maxresdefault.jpg

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]