Serious Adventurers

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Serious Adventurers

Post by alcyone »

I was just thinking of how often in fantasy art, nobody is smiling. Everyone looks so serious and dour, especially the guys, looking sort of downward, sullen, scowling, frowning eyebrows.

It might be related to the scarcity of dental-related cleric spells, not sure.

There seem to be more moments of mirth in earlier games, pointing and laughing at kobolds getting zapped or smirking at a successful purse grab. A little bit evil, but at least they are having a good time.

I am not sure, but I think the dourness coincided with oversized armor, dreadlocks, tattoos, and piercings on everyone. Maybe that is making them unhappy?

Don't get me wrong, I like the grim hopeless slog as much as or more than most, but I appreciate an adventurer you could get a beer with and they wouldn't just sit in the corner and glare under their hood, or shank you and take your lucky drinking horn.

I wonder if game designers ask for improbably muscled, overarmored, sullen looking illustrations.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Serious Adventurers

Post by Treebore »

I imagine its because art directors don't ask for illustrations of characters having a good time, they ask for, most likely, where serious and intense events are ocurring.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Flip through the 5E PHB and marvel in horror at the smiling halflings. The happy art is out there. *shudder*
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

GatewayTodd
Mist Elf

Post by GatewayTodd »

One of the things I love about Goodman games is the quality, variety and style of their artwork. Take a glance through the Dungeon Crawl Classics core book and see what you think.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Buttmonkey wrote:Flip through the 5E PHB and marvel in horror at the smiling halflings. The happy art is out there. *shudder*
The rictus on the bard is pretty creepy.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Aergraith wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:Flip through the 5E PHB and marvel in horror at the smiling halflings. The happy art is out there. *shudder*
The rictus on the bard is pretty creepy.
That bard illustration is the first good argument I've ever seen for race as class. Hobbit bards should. not. exist! (Not if they look like that, anyway.)
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I read Tolkien as a kid. I think having done that turned me off to super serious, world-hanging-in-the-balance fantasy, because I felt that I had already seen it. Sounds dumb, I know, but that's the effect it had on me. So, after that, I gravitated towards adventures that were either more existential (Elric) or more earthy (Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser). To this day, I prefer adventures of lesser magnitude. Such as the adventures that might "believably" be experienced by a group of adventurers in your average game or campaign. So, no, I don't need super serious adventures or characters. Not that I read a lot of fantasy, because I don't. I think the last fantasy author I really enjoyed (and there are many I haven't read, to be fair) was David Gemmel. I read Knights of Dark Renown and Morningstar, and was impressed and delighted by both. Great characterization, iirc. Never read anything else by him, though.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Here are some less serious adventurers!

http://www.larryelmore.com/store/DRAS/d ... roud-of-it

This one doesn't feature adventurers, but they aren't very serious

http://www.larryelmore.com/store/DLLH/d ... -last-home

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Tom Wham is needed!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

jdizzy001 wrote:Here are some less serious adventurers!

http://www.larryelmore.com/store/DRAS/d ... roud-of-it

This one doesn't feature adventurers, but they aren't very serious

http://www.larryelmore.com/store/DLLH/d ... -last-home
Yeah, I've always loved Elmore's artwork.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society