Forum upgrade - test post

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
mgtremaine
Ulthal

Forum upgrade - test post

Post by mgtremaine »

Forum upgrade was complete this is a test post feel free to pile on it. As noted in the warning message the cool green Style is missing but I'll get it worked out.

-Mike

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Forum upgrade - test post

Post by maximus »

Um... what happened here? Seems as if this forum just went the way of Dragonsfoot and K&K Alehouse. I do not like the format at all. Why the change?

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

DF and K&K and this are just old forums that got faced with the need to update. Basically they all where running php 5 and phpbb 3.0 all of which is end of life and therefore insecure. I updated to php7 and then did the forum software to the newest version (3.3). Sadly the excellent "style" we had does not work on this. So we need to recreate it or at least skin the default to be close to it. It's on the todo list.

-Mike

BigJackBrass
Mist Elf

Post by BigJackBrass »

I'm far less bothered about the look of the forum than I am by it disappearing. Thanks for taking the decision to update and keep the forum around, there really isn't an adequate substitute yet.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

I feel your pain. I have an old php website for a clown friend which is totally broken because of php updates. Trying to fix it is a pita. I've been trying to make a newer more modern version (running on Joomla CMS which I feel much more confident on) but that's also proving hard as I've never worked with a database within Joomla (it's a Clown Directory so think of a "find your local clown who does A, B, and F near me").

Updating and getting things to work can be a real issue. I run a myBB forum for a LARP/RPG group and I have exactly the same issues that you are having.

If you hit any problems remember to disable ALL add-ons so you have a vanilla setup then turn one on at a time and do tests. You will eventually find the thing which breaks something this way.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

BigJackBrass wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:25 am
I'm far less bothered about the look of the forum than I am by it disappearing. Thanks for taking the decision to update and keep the forum around, there really isn't an adequate substitute yet.
Rgr that

The color change etc threw me off for a second , but I don't notice anything tooooo jarring

Rgr on no substitute for this yet. I know there is the push for face book, discord etc, and yes they have their uses. However, there is nothing like the forum and the ability to go back and look through psts from years ago.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I had a little time today I tried to recreate the colors as best I could using the Prosilver theme. I'm willing to install some other themes as we move also for those who have any favorites. At least it looks more familiar now.

-Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

mgtremaine wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:09 am
I had a little time today I tried to recreate the colors as best I could using the Prosilver theme. I'm willing to install some other themes as we move also for those who have any favorites. At least it looks more familiar now.

-Mike
I like this. It's shiny.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

BigJackBrass
Mist Elf

Post by BigJackBrass »

Lurker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 am
… there is nothing like the forum and the ability to go back and look through posts from years ago.
Absolutely. It's worse than that for people in different time zones, though: Discord's chat style presentation means that you can only really use it properly when the majority of people are on there, otherwise it goes quiet. It's a pain to find anything, has a terrible signal to noise ratio and, as I discovered on the Pebble Watch channel I first joined Discord to access, it suffers from endlessly repeated questions because previous answers vanish into the past.

I appreciate that Discord is hugely popular and clearly has a high appeal, but honestly I can't understand why. It feels like an enormous step backwards to me.

Incidentally, I generally access the forums on a mobile device and this update is much easier to use. Looks cool in green, too.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

mgtremaine wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:09 am

-Mike
Thanks Mike. I was just a bit surprised by the change, but I understand the need. Thanks for making it as close as possible.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Got no problem with changes here.

Agree; Discord is only useful when people are actually talking there, which most of the time no one was before I gave up on it.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."