Are we geeks?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Are we geeks?

Post by slimykuotoan »

After much introspection, I've come to the conclusion that I may be a geek...and that strangely worries me.

And thou?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm comfortable with it. My "geekiness" helps make me happy, so the rest of the world can just get over it.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
I'm comfortable with it. My "geekiness" helps make me happy, so the rest of the world can just get over it.

Amen brother, amen.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

...as long as I get to rule the world afterwards...

What do they call it?

Karma?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Are we geeks?

Post by gideon_thorne »

I'm me.

And I change every day.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Im not a geek, I think I fit much more firmly into the nerd category.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'm retarded. Mentally, physically, spiritually, economically, and any other neat ally word.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

Are we not Geeks? We are .... Devo!

oops. Caught in a blast of music nostalgia.

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Well, I was given a royal title in college.

I was referred to as, "King of the Nerd Herd."

According to my last personality test I'm 49% introverted and 51% extroverted.

Don't like anime (although my next door neighbors are from Japan).

Never chatted online.

But I do sometimes watch the really crappy made-for-tv-movies that SCIFI makes (somebody should).

Don't have any kind of game system for my TV (but would like to).

Never been to a Renaissance fair (but may go in August).

Okay, I think I'm a Nerd/Geek that missing my full potential.

John Adams

SavageRobby
Hlobane Orc

Post by SavageRobby »

Um ... duh?

I've been a geek since, well, as long as I knew what a geek was. If that means that I don't subscribe to the same modes of the thinking and behavior as Joe Average ... then I wear the label proudly. I'm a computer geek, a game geek, a baseball stat geek, a fantasy football geek and a few other geek labels as well, I'm sure.

I've also considered myself a nerd (few do, IME), but I see nerds as slightly different from geeks. I've never been the pocket protector type, I always had other interests besides the science fair and my studies (and *cough* band *cough*), I had social skills and I had way to many girlfriends in high school/college/beyond to be truly considered a nerd. (Those years of serious drugs and alcohol use probably take me out of the nerd running as well.)

Dude, geeks rule these days (literally and figuratively). Didn't you get the memo?

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Why do I have the sudden urge to watch Revenge of the Nerds?

I'm just ducky about my nerd/geek -status. But I also have plenty of other un-geeky interests.

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

"Geeks are teh sexay"

~quoted from my fiancee

For me, the only negative connotations with being a geek I left back in high school. I'm a grownup now, and I really don't need someone else to affirm how I should feel about myself. I dig computer games, RPG's, ren faires, and sword-wielding heroes. If that makes me a 'geek', then so be it. I'll be damn proud to be numbered among the cool 'geeks' I've met here. =)

*steps down off his soapbox*

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

SirClarence
Ungern

Post by SirClarence »

Say it loud:
We're geeks and proud!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm a bit geeky, a little bit nerdy, but always 100% gamer. The gaming chicks love me.
..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

Omote wrote:
The gaming chicks love me.

All six of 'em!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

At once.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

I AM GEEK. HEAR ME ROAR!

Err, OK, the question was sort of serious, so I'll answer similarly. I suppose that a large percentage of the British people would consider me some kind of geek. My attention span is greater than four minutes, I can abide neither Premiership football, reality TV nor soap operas, and I remain interested in something even if I can't eat it, drink it, smoke it, spend it or shag it. There are those (my friends at work, for instance), who would use the term affectionately, and those who would use it in a derogatory way.

The first lot I'm fine with, and I do not concern myself with the opinions of the latter.

So either way, geek or no, it's all good. At the end of the day I'm me, and I like that guy. He's a good guy.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

My wife would say oh yeah your a geek as she rolled her eyes -some how that happens alot.

I'd say I'm a geek -small letters- it comes with my job...... There are other Wx GEEKS, but they are 10lb brain types. For my job I the guy yelling coooool and grabbing a camera when the T-Storms hits and spending hours with my young troops going look there you see the fog along that river.... well tomorrow it should do such.

Hobbies I'm more of a Geek. I have many geeky hobbies- gaming mini war, photo,- I'll read almost anything but love historic plus the normal fantasy. It is countered by me being a camper hiker -well before I spent 1/2 each year going around the world- I jump out of planes -for work & for fun-

I'm way not smart enough to be a nerd so yep a geek!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I stopped caring about what other people thought of me a very long time ago.

By the same token, I'm a big guy and I'm good with knots, so there aren't many people out there who are willing to bad mouth me to my face . . .

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

The world is divided into geeks and non-geeks but there are many more geeks than non-geeks.

Geeks are people who are really passionate about something...anything...whether it is RPGs, trainspotting, birdwatching, football, cars, marine biology, trees, cooking...the list is as long as there are things to be passionately interested in!

Non-geeks are people who are not passionate or interested in anything. Non-geeks sit and watch TV all the time whilst their brains sit in idle and life passes them by. Or they worry so much about what other people think that they don't dare get excited about something which isn't socially acceptable.

Without geeks there would be no new discoveries or advances, no breakthroughs in art or literature, no Plato, Newton, Einstein, Shakespeare or Picasso...

I'M PROUD TO BE A GEEK!

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

Having accepted that I'm a geek and generally being comfortable with it and not hiding it has strangely netted me way more girls than when I hid it in my closet. (Including my fiance)...

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

People are generally attracted to someone who is confident and self-possessed.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Somtimes I'm a geek

somtimes a nerd

occasionally a weirdo

regularly a dork.

On the full moon, I'm probably all of them. But I'm always happy to be me!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

I prefer the term "nerd."

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com