What are other rpgs you enjoy...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

What are other rpgs you enjoy...

Post by slimykuotoan »

Pour moi, I've very much enjoyed Alternity, Star Frontiers, and various d20 stuff.

And thou?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Every game I've ever ran has been fun, for me, except a few sessions of d20. As a player, most everything I've played in. The list is well over 200 games, so I won't list them all, but in no order a select few are...

Continuum: Roleplaying in the Yet

Shadowrun (1st and 2nd edition)

OD&D

Mentzer Classic D&D

OAD&D

Paranoia

Toon

Chaosium Basic

TORG

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Metamorphosis Alpha / Gamma World (1st and 4th editions of both)

Lejendary Adventure

AD&D2e

Chill

Call of Cthulhu

Kult

Lost Souls

Lace and Steel

Champions

GURPS 1st edition

Risus

Savage Worlds

Boot Hill

... lots and lots more.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Man! I thought I was a system whore!

You win!

Ones I like to play are:

Legend of the 5 Rings (third edition)

Shadowrun, any edition but first.

MegaTraveller

Mutants and Masterminds 2E

Synnibar

Paladium Fantasy

RIFTS

I own and will hopefully get into seriously playing HARP and EPICrpg before the Summer is over. Don't know though. The kids are really into L5R right now.

I also like playing third edition d20, just don't ask me to DM it, I won't.

I'll play any edition of D&D as long as I like the DM's house rules.

Chivalry and Sorcery (because it made me feel like a wizard just figuring out how to play it)

Played Pendragon a time or two and had fun with that.

Sorceror

Witch

Big Eye, Small Mouth

Thats about it of what I still like. Or hope to like (HARP and EPICrpg).

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dadiceguy
Ungern

Re: What are other rpgs you enjoy...

Post by dadiceguy »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Pour moi, I've very much enjoyed Alternity, Star Frontiers, and various d20 stuff.

And thou?

Well I have played a lot of games but at the top would be Feng Shui, Fading Suns, C&C, AD&D, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Buffy, Torg, Star Wars d6, Marvel Saga, Champions, and Truth and Justice.

Magic is the cheat codes for the world.

--- the Drummer (Planetary #7)

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Hmmm...

Talislanta

Rifts

Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Shadowrun (Any Edition)

Savage Worlds

And Now Scion:Hero

SavageRobby
Hlobane Orc

Post by SavageRobby »

I've played tons. The ones that have stood out to me over the years are:

AD&D (1e)

Paranoia

James Bond (Victory Games)

Hero

Over the Edge

Savage Worlds

C&C

There are also a few that just quite didn't make it, where the game was good but something didn't play just quite right, including:

Top Secret

Stormbringer

Rolemaster

Ars Magica

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Hmm ... games I have enjoyed in the past:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Original Dungeons & Dragons

Marvel Super Heroes (TSR's)

Shadowrun (I've only played up to 2nd... but I probably would enjoy 3rd)

Middle Earth Role-Playing (the original MERP by ICE)

Star Wars (WEG's)

Twilight 2000

Call of Cthulhu (I've played 5th ed)

TMNT

Rifts (to an extent)

I'm sure there are others, but these all have memorable. I would like to try Stormbringer at some point.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Besides C&C, I enjoy playing AD&D 2e, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Vimpire: The Dark Ages, and some Basic D&D.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah, there's like way too many to mention, so here's a list of what I have enjoyed most the thuroughly over the years:

Mentzer Basic D&D

AD&D 2nd Edition

TMNT

Palladium Fantasy

Robotech

Ninjas & Superspies

RIFTS

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0

Call of Cthulhu

Bubblegum Crisis (modified rules)

Castles & Crusades

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

In addition to C&C, I play:

*The Riddle of Steel

*Deliria

*Cthulhu Dark Ages (just picked this one up...can you say C&C conversion???)

*Ex Machina - Tri-Stat Cyberpunk

*Warhammer 40k

*Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

As well as C&C, I'm a massive Alternity fan, and I also enjoy Serenity and WFRP.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well Like most here the list will be long but...

D&D / AD&D -also C&C

Palladium Fantasy

Robotech

RIFTS

Cyberpunk

Call of Cthulhu

Marvel

Shadowrun

MERP

Star Wars -the WEG version

Pendragon -I didn't like the first few tries that were very Arthurian, but then got the Land of Giants, Across the wall, & the Irish supplement & it became a great game-
Quote:
*Cthulhu Dark Ages (just picked this one up...can you say C&C conversion???)

Haven't heard of that, It sounds great!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Lejendary Adventures

WHFRP

Star Frontiers

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

other than various D&D incarnations, these are my favorites of the games I've played (I've bought or read many other systems, but not played them all):

Ars Magica

Talislanta

Tekumel - Gurps version, heavily houseruled

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Everyone needs to chech out epic rpg. www.epicrpg.com. by far the best fantasy magic system i have ever seen.

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

mordrene wrote:
Everyone needs to chech out epic rpg. www.epicrpg.com. by far the best fantasy magic system i have ever seen.

Looks interesting, but too expensive for me, atm....

Ink

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: What are other rpgs you enjoy...

Post by gideon_thorne »

I'd have to say that the game I most enjoyed after the AD&D days was Champions. They call it "Hero System" these days, but one group I was in spent years doing fantasy hero gaming.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

4 core books? Totaling over $100... and, its a PoD. Hmm. I'll think about it. What is the 4th book, anyway? All I saw were three (four if you count the hardcover/softcover version of the "main book.") Seems interesting enough... maybe I'll just get the Game Manual and The Bestiary.

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

Ars Magica

Although I haven't played it since a couple editons back, I loved the setting of (semi)historical Europe and all the glorious baggage that came with it the Church and the Inquisition were present, for example, which meant that most player characters were pretty much automatically heretics and outlaws. Medieval Europe, as presented in Ars Magica, was far more entertaining than any purely fictional fantasy world I've ever encountered.

I also loved the way Ars Magica handled characters' stats, the combat system, and the fact that Magi were intended (by design) to be very rare so there was only one to a party. (How special are spell-casters if every average tavern is so full of them that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one?)

And best of all, Ars Magica developed the most logical system of magic & spell-casting that I have ever seen and it was also so flexible that you could invent new spells on the fly, as needed. It was utterly brilliant, and it put to shame every RPG that uses the idiotic "forget the spell after you cast it, then re-memorize it" lunacy.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Off the top of my head, aside from the various flavors of D&D I enjoy:

Savage Worlds

WFRP

Star Frontiers

Shadowrun

Rifts

Twilight 2000

Traveller

Star Wars D6, but Saga looks impressive too and I hope to enjoy it in the future!

Top Secret

Gamma World

Spirit of the Century (only played this one online, but twas fun!)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

3rd Eye wrote:
Ars Magica

Although I haven't played it since a couple editons back, I loved the setting of (semi)historical Europe and all the glorious baggage that came with it the Church and the Inquisition were present, for example, which meant that most player characters were pretty much automatically heretics and outlaws. Medieval Europe, as presented in Ars Magica, was far more entertaining than any purely fictional fantasy world I've ever encountered.

I also loved the way Ars Magica handled characters' stats, the combat system, and the fact that Magi were intended (by design) to be very rare so there was only one to a party. (How special are spell-casters if every average tavern is so full of them that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one?)

And best of all, Ars Magica developed the most logical system of magic & spell-casting that I have ever seen and it was also so flexible that you could invent new spells on the fly, as needed. It was utterly brilliant, and it put to shame every RPG that uses the idiotic "forget the spell after you cast it, then re-memorize it" lunacy.

I'd like this game a lot more if you didn't *have* to be a mage....I mean, if they offered other classes in addition to the magic-wielding ones. Granted, it's been several years since I looked closely at the game, but I'm pretty sure it's still that way.
Ink

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

Inkpot wrote:
I'd like (Ars Magica) a lot more if you didn't *have* to be a mage....I mean, if they offered other classes in addition to the magic-wielding ones.

But you don't have to be a mage (or at least, you didn't in the edition I used to play). Every party consisted of one Magus, one or more Companions (who could be almost any kind of character), and a bunch of Turbs (who are basically just grunts, but they're actually the ones who do most of the work, and get the most interaction with NPCs).

And they didn't really use "classes" at all. They had skills, most of which could be learned by just about anybody and in place of "classes," certain character "archetypes" came with standard packages of skills.

At least, that's how it was in the edition I used to play 3rd edition, I think (but I'm not sure, and I'd have to dig out the books to verify it). It was still owned by White Wolf at the time. I don't know what Atlas might have done to it since then

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

3rd Eye wrote:
But you don't have to be a mage (or at least, you didn't in the edition I used to play). Every party consisted of one Magus, one or more Companions (who could be almost any kind of character), and a bunch of Turbs (who are basically just grunts, but they're actually the ones who do most of the work, and get the most interaction with NPCs).

And they didn't really use "classes" at all. They had skills, most of which could be learned by just about anybody and in place of "classes," certain character "archetypes" came with standard packages of skills.

At least, that's how it was in the edition I used to play 3rd edition, I think (but I'm not sure, and I'd have to dig out the books to verify it). It was still owned by White Wolf at the time. I don't know what Atlas might have done to it since then

Hmm...maybe I've been completely wrong all along. This warrants a closer look. Thanks for the tip!

Ink

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Currently, in addition to C&C:

Holmes/OD&D

Call of Cthulhu (BRP)

Mutants & Masterminds

Lejendary Adventure

Stand-outs over the years:

OAD&D

BECM

Rolemaster

MERP

Stormbringer

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

With regards to Ars Magica ... it is a shame because at one point you could download the 4th edition book for free off RPG Now!

I don't know if there are many differences between the editions but I did check to see if it was still available as a Download and it's no longer listed.

Moriarty the Red

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

moriarty777 wrote:
With regards to Ars Magica ... it is a shame because at one point you could download the 4th edition book for free off RPG Now!

I don't know if there are many differences between the editions but I did check to see if it was still available as a Download and it's no longer listed.

Moriarty the Red

It might be gone from RPGNow, but you can download the 4th edition core rulebook and a bunch of minor extras off the Atlas Games website itself. Just go to their Ars Magica page.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

serleran wrote:
4 core books? Totaling over $100... and, its a PoD. Hmm. I'll think about it. What is the 4th book, anyway? All I saw were three (four if you count the hardcover/softcover version of the "main book.") Seems interesting enough... maybe I'll just get the Game Manual and The Bestiary.

They originally had 4 books, a character/rules book, a magic book, a bestiary and a campaign world book. Their second printing has combined their rules and magic book with a sample bestiary. I'm still working on them to produce pdfs of their rules, however, they have 2 free tutorial/module pdfs on their website.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

3rd Eye wrote:
It might be gone from RPGNow, but you can download the 4th edition core rulebook and a bunch of minor extras off the Atlas Games website itself. Just go to their Ars Magica page.

Thanks!

M

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

Oh, and by the way, I was misremembering the low level grunt characters are called "Grogs," not "Turbs." A Turb is a group of Grogs.

A few other notes, for those totally unfamiliar with Ars Magica

A "Covenant" is a sort of communal village/fortress, populated by some number of Magi ('mages;' and note that Magi is plural, while Magus is singular), some Companions (non-magical characters, varying in personal backgrounds, but usually much higher in social status than mere peasants), and a bunch of Grogs (the peasants and grunts who do all the menial work).

Typically, a group of players will create one Magus each, one Companion each, and then any number of Grogs. The bunch of those characters all put together become the Covenant.

When you play, one and only one Magus ventures out at a time. One or two Companions might accompany the Magus, and everybody else plays Grogs possibly even several Grogs each.

To those who like lots of magic in their fantasy RPG sessions, that might seem a bit unfair. "Only one guy gets to do any spell-casting?"

YES but in the next adventure, somebody else can take a turn with their Magus. And don't underestimate the fun of playing the Grogs.

It's set up that way because magic is not at all common, and it is exceedingly powerful, and those rare individuals who can control it are simply not normal. They're also not adventurers by trade; they'd much rather be left alone to study their arts, which is why they live in secluded little fortresses (and also because they don't want to get burned at the stake), and they generally have no social skills whatsoever. That's why they need their Companions and their Grogs, to deal with all the mundane commoners they encounter whenever they need to go somewhere.

It's an attempt to portray a Medieval Europe that's almost the same as the real one, except that all the legends and myths of magic are true after all it's just not so prevalent or widespread that it affects most people.

It's a great setting, man. I used to love playing Ars Magica.

[edit]

I just found a page with a fairly good introduction to the whole thing. It's a bit old (it makes reference to the 4th edition being current), but presumably the information still applies; and whoever made the page is one of those twits who doesn't realize that white text on a black background is not "cool," it's just painful to the eyes but you can copy-and-paste the whole page out into something else, if (like me) you can't stand looking at that crap: Everything You Wanted to Know about Ars Magica and Didn't have the Time to Ask.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I only care for Ars Magica 1st edition. After that, it started getting all not for me.