Aside from RPGs, Favorite Game Types?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Aside from RPGs, Favorite Game Types?

Post by 3rd Eye »

I'm curious

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Board games, but mebbe add another category for all or other!
We like minis and card games too.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I recently had a chance to play Antike. Very fun... a great game offering a variety of options to win a game but with a simple mechanic. It felt like Civilization 'Lite' -- I subsequently bought it.

Also bought Drakkon (or is it Drakon) from Fantasy Flight Games. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm dying to.

I like some of these board games even though the old classics may never die!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Zombies!!! is a card/board game, and I really like it, along with Runebound which is sort of related in the card/board style... but Warhammer Quest and Talisman kick all their asses, so board it is.

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

Well, I said board games (Runebound, Shadows over Camelot), but I also like computer games sometimes. I enjoyed Warcraft 2, Diablo 1&2, and recently, Titan Quest.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

serleran wrote:
Zombies!!! is a card/board game, and I really like it, along with Runebound which is sort of related in the card/board style... but Warhammer Quest and Talisman kick all their asses, so board it is.

Cool... Someone that knows Zombies. I've seen it a couple of times and was damned curious. How long does a typical games play? Can you tell me more about it?

M

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, since the game is essentially random, and unending until the end (that is, if you die, you start over, losing half of what you collected), a typical game tends to last about 1-4 hours (first time I played was with 4 people using only the basic rules and it took 4 hours,) again, depending on the number of people playing (the more people playing the faster the zombies get on the board, but the more board you get, too... so the faster the objective comes.) With expansions, the game can take much longer, but, it also can be very quick, if you're using the special "build your own event deck rules" which makes it more like Magic than sheer random.

Anyway, the basic idea of the game is like this:

You either win by killing 25 zombies or by making it to a (important because Zombies!!! 2 introduces a second one) helipad to escape the town (one of the expansions changes the objective to collecting the pages of the Necronomicon as another way to win).

The "board" is more of tiles, each representing a street or a building. For simplicity, I'll talk just about the basic set. The helipad is shuffled into the bottom half, and everyone starts at "town square" which is labeled (all the "named tiles" are special, generally because they represent a building.) Each player, before doing anything else, draws a tile, and places it (streets must connect and you cannot create a dead end by running a street into a building). Then, if you have any zombies on your current square, you must fight it (roll 1d6; if it is 4+, you win - you can discard a bullet to get a +1, or a heart for a re-roll [you can have unlimited bullets, and max of 5 hearts, but you only start with 3 of each]). Then, you roll 1d6 for your movement, move, fighting any zombies you come across (ie, that you move through by entering their square, but you auto-pick up any tokens like hearts or bullets) and then, you roll 1d6 for thje zombies; whatever you roll is how many zombies that get moved 1 square each. You can play an event card at any time, but only one per turn (these are things that chnage how the game is played, or give you weapons, or hurt another player...) Oh, and I forgot, when you place the tile, you place zombies, too: one for each road point (a T-section, for example, gets 3 zombies on it) or as indicated by the building. Also, some cards can only be played while you're at a certain place (ie, you can only get the grenade when you're at the army surplus store.) There is a special rule for placing the helipad -- whoever has the lowest number of zombies killed gets to decide where it goes. There is also a special rule for when you cannot place any more tiles at all (it can happen.) Finally, just to be a little more thorough... you cannot replace your used cards until right before you move (ie, after fighting any zombies currently on your square) and you can only discard one at thr end of your turn, if you don't like it.

If you're interested, I'd highly recommend getting at least one extra bag of zombies because 100 isn't really enough.

Oh, and last thing: there are two promo cards that kick ass. One makes all bullets get discarded (extremely mean) and the other makes all event cards get discarded (can be horrendously mean.)

The game rules, and I can't wait to try Zombies!!! 6 because it lets you go into the sewers. :)

kelro
Mist Elf

Post by kelro »

I like to play a lot of the board games people are mentioning here, Zombies, Runebound, Talisman, Warhammer Quest. I have played a lot of Runebound and Descent from FFG.

Lately though, I have been playing BattleLore. It hits a certain sweet spot for me. All those little army figures being pushed around the board. And the system is very well put together, letting you pick the parts you want...dont want magic, then dont use the magic rules. The game still plays great, and supports that mode of play. And its got the right mix of planning and luck for me. I like to roll dice, but I also like the results weighed in my favor if I have made the right decisions.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

serleran wrote:
Well, since the game is essentially random, and unending until the end (that is, if you die, you start over, losing half of what you collected), a typical game tends to last about 1-4 hours (first time I played was with 4 people using only the basic rules and it took 4 hours,) again, depending on the number of people playing (the more people playing the faster the zombies get on the board, but the more board you get, too... so the faster the objective comes.) With expansions, the game can take much longer, but, it also can be very quick, if you're using the special "build your own event deck rules" which makes it more like Magic than sheer random.

Sounds really interesting Serl, thanks for the rundown. It might be something I'll have to seriously check out once my move is done and I'm settled in the new city.

Moriarty the Red

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

kelro wrote:
I like to play a lot of the board games people are mentioning here, Zombies, Runebound, Talisman, Warhammer Quest. I have played a lot of Runebound and Descent from FFG.

Lately though, I have been playing BattleLore. It hits a certain sweet spot for me. All those little army figures being pushed around the board. And the system is very well put together, letting you pick the parts you want...dont want magic, then dont use the magic rules. The game still plays great, and supports that mode of play. And its got the right mix of planning and luck for me. I like to roll dice, but I also like the results weighed in my favor if I have made the right decisions.

Descent at first glance, really appealed to me. It reminded me of Hero Quest and I figured it might be a good alternative should key players fail to show up for my game... I've heard about Battlelore but not much. How complex is it?

Moriarty the Red

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Big board game player here. Tons of Axis & Allies and it's varients, including the AWESOME Big Board Game ~ World War II, from Pegesus Hobbies. Play fair amounts of Puerto Rico, Milton Bradley's Shogun, Talisman 2, Settlers, Ticket to Ride, EuroRails, etc. Our group plays a S-house of boargames, from old school to new school.

Serl, if you like ZOMBIES you should play my version of MAUL OF AMERICA. Based on the Jolly Roger Games Maul of America, my versions (there is Maul of America II, Maul of America III: Howl from the Food Court and Maul of America IV: Revenge of the Glow in the Dark Zombie Women!). Essentially it is Dawn of the Dead the boardgame (better then the original Dawn of the Dead boardgame). You run around the Mall looking for items to help you survive the Zombie Apocolypse that is ravaging the world outside. Once you or the group collectively has found enough items, then you need to get out of the mall that is quickly becoming zombie infested. The boardgame plays out like numerous zombie movies with tons of cliches' a two hour time limit, and players generally acting like the stupid characters that get eaten in zombie movies.

Great fun.

.......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

kelro
Mist Elf

Post by kelro »

I dont find BattleLore to be very complex, in the sense that the rules are very simple and easy to pick up on. The game does a great job of introducing the rules, by having the scenario book that comes with the basic game start out with scenarios that only use the basic rules, then each additional scenario adds more rules (now you get to try different terrain, now use goblins, now dwarves, now a giant spider, now some magic, now a war council, etc.). As you add more of the elements, your complexity goes up.

You definitely do not have to be a wargamer to get it. I have introduced the basic rules to non-gamer folks and they picked it up easily enough.

The strategy to the game is basically using your units on the board in the most effective way with the cards in your hand (which are randomly drawn from a common deck). The cards allow you to move and attack with your units, like a card called "Mounted Charge" lets you move and attack with all your cavalry. Most common are cards that let you move and attack with a certain number of units on the left, center, or right portions of the board (the board is split up into three portions).

Every unit on the board has a color flag with a symbol on it. The symbol denotes what type of unit it is, like cavalry, archers, or infantry. The color denotes how far the unity can move and how many dice it gets to roll when it attacks. Green units are "light" units, they move farthest but battle with the least amount of dice. Red units are "heavy" units, they move the least amount but battle with the most amount of dice. Blue units are "medium" units.

That is some of the basics. One of the aspects of the game that seems important to me is the idea that a group of units is much more effective then a lone unit. Grouped units dont have to retreat from attacks, and can actually battle back against attackers.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Give it up for poker, you dogs!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I voted for Boardgames, for they always attract me first.

In terms of what I play most often, it would be traditional card games, especially Cribbage with Mrs. Geleg. Poker works, too!

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I'm a boardgames kind of guy.

Addicted to Scrabble.

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

I am absolutely delighted to see that no one has voted for CCGs.

I loathe CCGs.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There is one CCG I really like, and is dead as Bela Lugosi, is called Ruins World which is basically D&D in card format, down to solo play being lethal and party play being very difficult, and rewarding. Fun game, impossible to track down (I've only found one other person on anywhere who knows of its existence and I've never seen it for sale)... but, not all CCGs are crap, just the popular ones. ;)

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

Well, see my complaint with CCGs has almost nothing to do with how they play. Some of them may even be very good, very entertaining games.

My complaint is with how they are sold. You know: Randomly-packaged, you don't know what you're getting, and you wind up having to buy thousands of cards just to get at least one of everything from a set of only a few hundred. That's just EVIL, man. The whole "collectible" thing is one giant, evil scam.

That goes for "collectible" miniatures games too, by the way such as HeroClix or MechWarrior.
E V I L

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Besides RPGS, my favourite games would be zero sum board games, especially Wei Qi. Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum but hey I'm Sagittarius.

I haven't tried many miniature war games though I'm sure I would like some of them alot.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

3rd Eye wrote:
I am absolutely delighted to see that no one has voted for CCGs.

I loathe CCGs.

Well, back when MtG was relatively new... I enjoyed the game and there were a couple of other ones which were interesting. I guess I lost interest shortly after the Fallen Empires expansion. Things were getting a bit too ridiculous for my tastes. It was a great way to kill time though.

I'm just happy that I easily made back every penny I ever invested into the game though at one point, I had some pretty impressive cards.

Moriarty the Red

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Minis but not in the evil 3.e way. Miniatur war games....

There is nothing like having a good army out numbered and watching the other throw themselves into a meat grinder. or being a barbarian hoard that actually works it's way around those darn Romans & crushes the week side!

Axis & Allies - good stuff there!

Serl the zombies sound good too. I'll have to give it a look!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

Zombies!! Rocks!

I also play 40k and Warhammer Fantasy Battles. So I voted for miniature games.

Problem is...I play almost all of the games listed previously and Heroscape as well. So I think my category of choice should have been "Games: All."

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

There was exactly one decent CCG in the history of all CCGs ever made, and that is the BattleTech one. Individual playing style and strategy matters much more than how much cash is blown on a deck. Loading up a deck with expensive cards is more harmful than helpful, especially against a guy with a low-cost swarm deck.

Me personally, I occasionally play some Monopoly variants with my friends and am a closet BattleTech freak.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I voted "Board" games, although non-traditional card games such as "Apples to Apples", "Boxers or Briefs", and the various incarnations of Munchkin get play time around my way.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax