What impact do you think 4e will have on C&C sales?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Fat Dragon Games wrote:
I watched the entire 4E explanation at Gen Con last week and wasn't impressed. They're address some of the 3.5 problems, but it looks like they are creating others. I don't want to deal with online cr@p in order to more effectively run my game. I want a book, paper and dice...that's it. I brought my PHB, some premade characters and we did a pick up game of C&C Thursday night and everyone had a blast.

I think C&C will be just fine, especially once the Trolls get the Basic set out-WOTC still won't have anything that equals it for ease of use for kids just getting into RPGs and I plan on running an intro to RPG gaming for kids at my FLGS as soon as the box set come out.

Congrats on your Silver!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

Thanks! All of us at FDG were humbled and honored to be up on that stage with the likes of Monte Cook, the Green Ronin guys and everyone else. I certainly hope Steve and Davis are up there next year...

Emryys
Red Cap

Post by Emryys »

Congrats!
You products are very handy

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Yeah congrats man! Thats cool.

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

WoTC wrote:
4th Edition dragons are among the most dynamic, exciting monsters in the gameas they should be. Theyre different from each other, across categories (the metallics arent like the chromatics), across colors (reds and whites dont have all the same attacks), and across age categories (fear the ancient dragons). Heres just a taste of what a fight against an ancient dragon might feel like:

* On the dragons turn, the first thing it does is burst out in an inferno of flame, searing every PC within 25 feeta free action. Then, with a standard action, it slashes out at the fighter and the cleric with its two front claws (even though theyre both 20 feet away). As another free action, it uses its tail to slap the rogue, who was trying to sneak up behind it, and pushes her back 10 feet. Its getting angry at the wizard, so it uses a special ability to take another standard action: it spits a ball of fire at the wizard, setting him on fire. It has a move action left, which it uses to fly into a better position for its breath weapon. That ends the dragons turn.

* Its the fighters turn. He charges the dragon and manages to land a solid blow, dropping the dragon down below half its hit points. Ohthat gives the dragon the opportunity use its breath weapon as an immediate action. A huge cone of fire bursts from the dragons mouth, engulfing all four PCs. But at least the dragon is below 500 hit points!

* Now the rogue moves around to flank with the fighter. Ordinarily, that would let the dragon use its tail slap again as an immediate action, but the dragon has used its immediate action already. Thats lucky for the rogue, who actually gets to make an attack this round! Unfortunately, she fails to hit the dragons AC of 49.

* The wizard fails to put out the fire, so he takes more damage. Worse yet, the dragons breath scoured away the wizards fire resistance, so he takes the full amount. He blasts the dragon with a ray of freezing cold, but this isnt 3rd Edition. The dragon takes normal damage, but its not enough to slow it down.

* Finally, the cleric is up. Calling on the power of her god, she swings her halberd at the dragona critical hit! The damage isnt bad, but even better, the wizard gets a nice surge of healing power.

Hes going to need itits the dragons turn again.

Yeah.... I changed my mind. I won't be buying even a PHB. Immediate actions, dozens of free actions, fighters doing 500 hp of damage, AC's of 49? Sounds like they didn't change that much after all.

I think the dragon's turn alone took 20 minutes.

EDIT: Here's an authentic picture of this combat taking place via the WoTC Digital Initiative:

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff to keep up with. I know I wouldn't want to be the GM trying to remember all that stuff, but there are those who thrive on this kind of crunchiness. For them, this is probably a slice of heaven from a much-awaited system. I hope they enjoy it. I strongly suspect I would not.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Oh. My. Freaking. God. Deep down inside I knew 4E wasn't going to be for me, but that WotC quote clarified the bleep out of the situation for me. I want no part of that sizzling pile of Kender poo. How can the Trolls not sell more copies of C&C after 4E arrives?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Wow! So their improving the game by making the players more powerful and giving a ton of thngs to keep track of, and whimpifying the monsters, including the Ancient Red Dragon.

WOTC better be grateful that Dragons aren't real. Their buildings would be mysteriously bursting into flames if Dragons were real.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

andakitty
Hlobane Orc

Post by andakitty »

Well, maybe they are self-destructing at that. This is neither fish nor fowl, not a tabletop rpg exactly, not a computer game exactly, not a miniatures game exactly, not a board game or card game or any other sort of game exactly. It apparently is an attempt to do all of the above simultaneously, and I am thinking it might just sink under its own weight. I really hope I am smelling WOTC/HASBRO blood here (I can't help, I despise smug arrogance). I guess we have to wait a year to find out, though.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Well that dragon example just knocked alot of interest into the trash.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Well that dragon example just knocked alot of interest into the trash.

Yeah, and I didn't have much interest to begin with.

The biggest reason I even want to support 4E at all is to support PAizo, Necromancer, and Goodman.

Making me blow chunks like this is making it hard to do.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Tank wrote:
Yeah.... I changed my mind. I won't be buying even a PHB. Immediate actions, dozens of free actions, fighters doing 500 hp of damage, AC's of 49? Sounds like they didn't change that much after all.

I think the dragon's turn alone took 20 minutes.

*Pukes at the example!* Glad to see that nothing's f**king changed on the Elemental Plane of Nerf.
*Takes a healthy swig of Captain Morgan...to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth...yeah that's right.*

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff to keep up with. I know I wouldn't want to be the GM trying to remember all that stuff, but there are those who thrive on this kind of crunchiness. For them, this is probably a slice of heaven from a much-awaited system. I hope they enjoy it. I strongly suspect I would not.

It's not so bad if you take into account the Digital Initiative thingy at $10 a month or whatever they are bilking out of their consumers. Gods know that that is the only way you'd be able to keep track of all that shatner.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Traveller wrote:
*Pukes at the example!* Glad to see that nothing's f**king changed on the Elemental Plane of Nerf.
*Takes a healthy swig of Captain Morgan...to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth...yeah that's right.*

Uhh, yeah, I'll take a swig my friend. A lot of stomach and mind upsetting stuff being posted. 'Course, I could stop reading it, no?
Who's ready for some Blueberry Yum Yum?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

What did I say? I repeat:
3rd Eye wrote:
I liked the Dragonball Z reference. That's right on the nose.

It's as if they think the target audience are all anime-fans, who naturally want characters who perform "nearly magical" displays of "powers" with perfectly ordinary objects like swords, and who no doubt announce their moves aloud in combat, too
4ker: I leap forward and hover in mid-air, with my hair on fire and lightning shooting out of my ass, and I howl in this really cool, booming, echoing voice, "RAAAIN OF BLOOOOOOWS! Blows! Blows!" and then I attack!
4ager: Whoa, dude!
DM: Coolness factor 18 bypasses AC dude, automatic hit! Awesome! Roll the dice for destruction points, dude!
4ker: I do [clatter] 139 points of piercing damage to everything in range, plus [clatter] 864 points of seismic damage!
4ager: Awesome, dude!
DM: That rawx! The orc army blows apart in a massive expolosion of bodies and chunks of bloody meat, flying out in slow motion in all directions and leaving trails of smoke and blood through the air!
4ker & 4ager [in unison]: AWESOME!
DM: And in the center of the screen, there's a molten, burning crater 120 feet wide erupting like a volcano, shooting up a mushroom cloud of fire and smoke that rolls out across the sky, blotting out the sun!
4ker: Whoa, AWESOME, dude!
All [in unison]: 4-E Double-D RAAAWWWX! Woooooo!
4ker: And then I pose really cool with my fists apart, panting real heavy and glaring up at the sky and
4ager: Dude, with smoke curling off your sword blade!
4ker: Yeah! With smoke curling off my sword blade! And it's glowing red hot dude, and I roar at the sky with this really cool snarl on my face while thunder cracks in the background, "I'm attacking the DAAARKNESS! Darkness! Darkness!"

It's like I'm psychic or something

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

3rd Eye wrote:
What did I say? I repeat:

It's like I'm psychic or something

Naw! You just weren't holding out hope that they might actually improving anything.

thedungeondelver
Ungern

Post by thedungeondelver »

Quote:
4th Edition dragons are among the most dynamic, exciting monsters in the gameas they should be. Theyre different from each other, across categories (the metallics arent like the chromatics), across colors (reds and whites dont have all the same attacks), and across age categories (fear the ancient dragons). Heres just a taste of what a fight against an ancient dragon might feel like:

* On the dragons turn, the first thing it does is burst out in an inferno of flame, searing every PC within 25 feeta free action. Then, with a standard action, it slashes out at the fighter and the cleric with its two front claws (even though theyre both 20 feet away). As another free action, it uses its tail to slap the rogue, who was trying to sneak up behind it, and pushes her back 10 feet. Its getting angry at the wizard, so it uses a special ability to take another standard action: it spits a ball of fire at the wizard, setting him on fire. It has a move action left, which it uses to fly into a better position for its breath weapon. That ends the dragons turn.

* Its the fighters turn. He charges the dragon and manages to land a solid blow, dropping the dragon down below half its hit points. Ohthat gives the dragon the opportunity use its breath weapon as an immediate action. A huge cone of fire bursts from the dragons mouth, engulfing all four PCs. But at least the dragon is below 500 hit points!

* Now the rogue moves around to flank with the fighter. Ordinarily, that would let the dragon use its tail slap again as an immediate action, but the dragon has used its immediate action already. Thats lucky for the rogue, who actually gets to make an attack this round! Unfortunately, she fails to hit the dragons AC of 49.

* The wizard fails to put out the fire, so he takes more damage. Worse yet, the dragons breath scoured away the wizards fire resistance, so he takes the full amount. He blasts the dragon with a ray of freezing cold, but this isnt 3rd Edition. The dragon takes normal damage, but its not enough to slow it down.

* Finally, the cleric is up. Calling on the power of her god, she swings her halberd at the dragona critical hit! The damage isnt bad, but even better, the wizard gets a nice surge of healing power.

Hes going to need itits the dragons turn again.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Honestly folks, if you don't like the direction the D&D game is going, don't buy into it. There's no need to go on about it for 5 pages.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

3rd Eye
Hlobane Orc

Post by 3rd Eye »

gideon_thorne wrote:
There's no need to go on about it for 5 pages.
"Need? We ain't got no need. We don't need no need. I don't have to show you any stinking need!"

Now an easy one, for 5 Bonus Karma Points: What word is "need" replacing?

And another easy one, for 5 Bonus Karma Points: In what film was that line spoken?

Now somewhat more difficult, for 10 Bonus Karma Points: What was the context in which that line was spoken?

And finally, for 20 Bonus Karma Points: Can you name either the character OR the actor who spoke that line?
EXTRA CREDIT:
5 Points: Who was the film's main star?
10 Points: What year was the film made?

Ready?

Now subtract 15 points for each answer that you had to look up on IMDB.

Turanil
Red Cap

Post by Turanil »

Reading about the dragon and dragon-ball-Z stuff, I am now inclined to think that 4e will in fact boost C&C sales...

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

Quote:
"Need? We ain't got no need. We don't need no need. I don't have to show you any stinking need!"

Cool

And another easy one, for 5 Bonus Karma Points: In what film was that line spoken?

Now somewhat more difficult, for 10 Bonus Karma Points: What was the context in which that line was spoken?

And finally, for 20 Bonus Karma Points: Can you name either the character OR the actor who spoke that line?

EXTRA CREDIT:

Ready?

hmm... a lotta questions, but the basics are pretty clear

a. 'need' replaces 'badges' "we don't need no stinkin' badges"

b. film=Blazing Saddles

c. The bad guy is interviewing goons for his posse to attack the town, IIRC

d. I can't remember the actor who said the line, although I'm tempted to say Cheech Marin. But that's not right. As for the character, I can't remember that either ... but it wasn't Mongo!

e.c.

1. main star was Gene Wilder

2. year? hmm... 1974? 1972? somewhere in there.

Fun!

Geleg
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

thedungeondelver
Ungern

Post by thedungeondelver »

3rd Eye wrote:

EXTRA CREDIT:

Ready?

-Badges

-The movie is "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

-The context is Gold Hat tells Bogart's character that they're the local police and Bogart calls 'em on it.

-Gold Hat

-Bogart

-'48

(Got the DVD.)

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

whoa! My face is red! Shoulda realized that Blazing Saddles was ripping off something at that point ...
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

It's not like that silly style of play wasn't possible in C&C - in fact, I always tell my players things like "You rolled max damage and killed the monster in one hit... um... your sword chops its body right in half and blood gushes all over."
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

JRR
Hlobane Orc

Post by JRR »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*chuckles* Honestly folks, if you don't like the direction the D&D game is going, don't buy into it. There's no need to go on about it for 5 pages.

Indeed there is. Suppose someone gives you a puppy. You love that puppy. You grow up with it, teach it to fetch and roll over. Then one day someone takes your puppy out back and shoots it. Then they hand you a cat. It's better than the puppy, they tell you. You are allergic to it. The cat shits in the floor, scratches your furniture, stinks up the place and scratches you every time you try to pet it. But it's newer, prettier, and comes with a bunch of accesories and has a spikey collar. Then to top it off, they name the cat Fido. It won't fetch, it won't roll over, except to crap in the floor again. Then in 3 years, you have Fido 3.5.....

Will your stalwart band choose to Fight, Advance, or Run?

kaomera
Mist Elf

Post by kaomera »

JRR wrote:
Indeed there is. >snip 2e...).

I'd rather look at 4e as another option. I think it's great that they aren't trying to be old-school D&D as much anymore; I have 1e AD&D or C&C for that. 4e is going to be different. Different isn't bad, and no-one's going to force you to switch...

Now I am running a 3.5 game at the moment. And I'm running it basically because the players involved don't want to to do old-school D&D. They want feats and skill ranks and a bunch of other complications. But I can enjoy 3.5 too, it's not a bad game, just not my first choice. It does help that I'm DMing, as I can add some of the more "old-school" stuff that (the few bits I think D&D actually needs) back in.

The group had suggested in the past that they'd be willing to give Hackmaster a go, but I'm not a HM fan so we aren't doing that. I'm not going to run a game I'm not interested in or excited about. Likewise as a player I'm pretty picky about who I'd play 3.5 with.

The only real problem I can find with 3.5 / 4e is that it is / will be what the majority of players want to play. If I could find 4 or more players who wanted to play old-school D&D then I probably wouldn't be playing 3.5. I wouldn't actually just drop the 3.5 game I'm running, as I like the players and do enjoy the game, but I think I'd be happier running C&C or something similar...

Cities on flame with rock and roll

Three thousand guitars they seem to cry

My ears will melt, and then my eyes

~ Blue yster Cult

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

JRR wrote:
Indeed there is. >snip<

Its a game, there is no need to take it that seriously...^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

SoulCatcher78
Hlobane Orc

Post by SoulCatcher78 »

I think it will increase sales of C&C honestly.

Between now and their release of the Phb/DMG/MM there's going to be a big hole in the "new stuff to buy that's going to support my game" cycle which includes Xmas for gamers who would like to get others to buy things for us. C&C can fill that need with either a new platform for play (for some) or the adventure material that's already produced and stuff that's in the works (yes, bringing up CZ, I can't help it, it's a sickness or something).

Publishers who were counting on 3.5 will have to go back to the drawing board for next years projects but we (C&Cers) get to move along at full speed (since the OGL isn't dependant on any future releases from WotC).

Announcing their launch before 4th Quarter is going to hurt WotC this year as Xmas sales will likely be in the toilet for their flagship product. Glad I'm not the guy who gets to explain to the Hasbro board why that is going to happen.

JRR
Hlobane Orc

Post by JRR »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Its a game, there is no need to take it that seriously...^_~`

Heh, I'm not taking it seriously. WOTC ceased to meatter for me a long, long time ago. But I still hate cats.

Will your stalwart band choose to Fight, Advance, or Run?

RakintheBlue
Red Cap

Post by RakintheBlue »

On that dragon post:

I couldn't tell if I was reading D&D or WoW....