Melee: Castles & Crusades Board Game

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Emryys

Melee: Castles & Crusades Board Game

Post by Emryys »

I noticed this on the website in the Anvil: Upcoming Releases section and was wondering what it may be
It it a Dungeon-like game?... only better

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Me curious too!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wow, this product was being worked on like 2 years ago. I havn't heard a word about it in that time.

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Cheeplives was / is working on this, and there was / is a NDA for it. I've got the rules, and its a fun game, though not like Dungeon! at all, unless the rules have undergone significant changes. The title, Melee, should give an indication of what the game is about.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

A C&C board game would be neat-o.

I seem to recall hearing about this some time ago, that it would be based on a tournement, complete with jousts and the like.

I remember Dungeon! That game was a blast. At least, what I can recall was.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
I seem to recall hearing about this some time ago, that it would be based on a tournement, complete with jousts and the like.

Fairly accurate. Maybe Josh will show up and give a better description?

ZeornWarlock

Post by ZeornWarlock »

Does the game use minis?

ZW.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Getting more interested!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Does the game use minis?

Representative figures are nearly always required for a board game, so... absolutely! I can't go into more, really, since I'm under a NDA on the contents. I'm not even sure, honestly, how much, or what, I can say... I wish I had cheeplives email, so he could come and answer and discuss this.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:
Quote:
I wish I had cheeplives email, so he could come and answer and discuss this.

Hmm, send him a PM here. He's registered and it might trigger an e-mail to him!

cheeplives
Red Cap

Post by cheeplives »

Right... the C&C Board game. It's funny yall should mention that. Yes, it's been in development for about a year and a half now. Yes, Serleran is right, I did submit a "Tournament Board Game" to the Trolls a little while before the final draft of the C&C playtest rules came out.

When asked to design the game by Steve, he told me a list of parameters and I did my best to meet them. When I did design it, I did not have any real set idea of how C&C was going to turn out (i.e. this was even before the SIEGE Engine had been decided upon). As such, the game I built does not really resemble C&C we all know.

It's a good game. It plays well and the few playtest comments I've gotten were positive (Serleran, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it). But it really didn't do a good job of being a C&C board game. It was a good game to approximate jousts and medieval melees, but not really C&C.

But Steve's had the full version since prior to the release of C&C. But with the release of C&C, the board game fell by the wayside (obviously) to focus on the PHB, M&T, and the 2nd printing. All along the way I've ruminated on what a true C&C board game could be like.

As such, I've completely re-built the game basing it off of a simplified SIEGE Engine. It's a dungeon-crawl style game. I can't really say much more about it, other than it really will be designed to be a board-game set in the mileu of C&C.

I'm working on polishing up a final version of it and will hopefully be opening it up to playtest. It is VERY IMPORTANT that we get a lot of playtesters and a lot of FEEDBACK. So watch the boards and let us know if you're interested.

Hope that satisfies some curiosity (and of course leaves you begging for more).
discreteinfinity.com -- my respite from the bustle of the internet

Author of StarSIEGE: Event Horizon

Emryys

Post by Emryys »

cheeplives wrote:
I'm working on polishing up a final version of it and will hopefully be opening it up to playtest. It is VERY IMPORTANT that we get a lot of playtesters and a lot of FEEDBACK. So watch the boards and let us know if you're interested

I posted this thread... so Yeah!
cheeplives wrote:
Hope that satisfies some curiosity (and of course leaves you begging for more).

Some, but pales in comparison to the new amount created
serleran wrote:
Representative figures are nearly always required for a board game

Could use the CnC figures!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thisw sounds like a board game I will really get into. I assume it is easy to learn and plays fast?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

Hi,

I playtested the original version, and would be happy to playtest v2. The original had a good basis for a tourney game, and you might consider releasing it to the wargaming market.

Does the change in emphasis mean I shoud stop sending Steve those links to the plastic knight sets?
Cheers,

Christopher

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Oh! sign me up as a playtester of the new version! I love board games! Well, ones like Risk, Axis and Allies, Heroscape, and I do like Monopoly.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Philotomy Jurament

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

I'd love to playtest this, too.