Down points of C&C:

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Dangersaurus
Ungern

Post by Dangersaurus »

Dristram wrote:
I feel the XP values for monsters is a bit low. So I give each character X.P. up to the monsters total depending on their level of participation or mostly if they were there for the whole battle or not.

[Dragonfootin']Do you award xp for treasure or magic items?[/Dragonfootin']

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Dangersaurus wrote:

Yes

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Try using the guidelines in the CZ: Class Options & Skills for XP. I just started using them and the first session resulted in between 700-1100XP for each party member.

Dangersaurus
Ungern

Post by Dangersaurus »

Dangersaurus wrote:
I also like dragons to be a little less overpowering - more like 1e and less like the 2e/C&C style (but none of this "a dragon for every class level! Even your 1st level characters should get a chance to slay dragons!" from 3E).

Memory failing... I haven't looked at the M&T dragons since a couple weeks after I first got the books I guess. It does nail the sizes down, gives low HD versions (although any player should feel like a real heel beating up a wyrmling!) all the way up through useless-for-actual-play ancient versions.

I've re-read just about every Dragon Mag article and rulebook about dragons since then, skimming for ideas for my retrofit, so please forgive my faulty hippocampus.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

Dangersaurus wrote:
Yes.

Dangersaurus
Ungern

Post by Dangersaurus »

Dristram wrote:
Yes.

Sorry - just a (bad) joke based on the usual response over at another forum.

imweasel

Post by imweasel »

I really don't have any dislikes about C&C so far....

Give me a half dozen or so game sessions and maybe something consistent will show up.

If I nitpicked, I do miss some of the AD&D spells...

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

imweasel wrote:
If I nitpicked, I do miss some of the AD&D spells...
Psha, dude! Just use 'em? I use AD&D spells as is so far. I tell my players of wizards that any spell they like from AD&D that's not in the PHB can become a spell their character researches.

imweasel

Post by imweasel »

Dristram wrote:
Psha, dude! Just use 'em? I use AD&D spells as is so far. I tell my players of wizards that any spell they like from AD&D that's not in the PHB can become a spell their character researches.

Sure, we could do that.

But that means hauling more books to the gaming session!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

imweasel wrote:
Sure, we could do that.

But that means hauling more books to the gaming session!

Buy a pack gnome! Load him up with everything you need and if he complains? Just punt him.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Working on it, mate.

THAT should be awesome.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

kaomera

Post by kaomera »

Treebore wrote:
THAT should be awesome.

Will there be a pack-gnome mini?

(How about a Walrus?)

Cities on flame with rock and roll

Three thousand guitars they seem to cry

My ears will melt, and then my eyes

~ Blue yster Cult

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

kaomera wrote:
(How about a Walrus?)

Oh! I would sooo buy a fiendish half-dragon dire walrus mini.

THAT would be kickass.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I asked a similar question on EN World, and the respoces tended to point towards not enough 'crunch' in the game.
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=205494

I wonder, if the CK Guide contains more optional rules, if alot o' folks will be comin' back to C&C...
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

andakitty

Post by andakitty »

It sounds like 4e will be just fine for them, I fear.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

I can see the "culture" shock for someone who's only ever known 3e and then is shown C&C. The "old-school" rules would just confuse them and make them wonder why it was done that way.

I see C&C as best for those brand new to gaming and those who prefer a mix of the old and the new in D&D, but in a way that allows the GM to have it be HIS game.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

I'd like more classic monsters. But I can do that myself I suppose.

Be nice to see the CKG eventually, too.

Other than that, C&C was exactly what I needed to get back into role playing.

SavageRobby

Post by SavageRobby »

slimykuotoan wrote:
I asked a similar question on EN World, and the respoces tended to point towards not enough 'crunch' in the game.
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=205494

I wonder, if the CK Guide contains more optional rules, if alot o' folks will be comin' back to C&C...

I read the first page of that when you first posted it, but just saw that many of those folks suffer from misunderstanding the crunch that exists, not so much that the game lacks crunch. I see people say often "it lacks feats" or "not enough mechanics" not realizing they can use the SIEGE engine to duplicate nearly everything they want the game to state explicitly.

I'm not sure if its a failure of imagination, or perhaps a failure of the rulebooks to really clearly show what all the SIEGE engine could be used for. (I know it took me a few passes at the message boards to clarify my thinking on it, so I think the PHB could illustrate the many uses of the SIEGE engine better.)

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

What I found funny in the thread was the comment from one of the posters that stated that the C&C fanbase was a bit rabid.

Pot meet kettle?

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I love damn near everything about it. I love increasing ACs. I like that ACs provide an armor bonus instead of a specific armor class. I even need to admit that the typos/grammar errors/spelling mistakes arent' as bad as I thought they were in the core books. Someone needs to teach the Trolls the difference between "affect" and "effect", but the PHB and MT are in much better shape than my brain was telling me a couple weeks ago. Now, some of the modules feature atrocious editing/proofreading, but the core books are fine.

The things I don't like (e.g., the encumbrance rules and paladins) I just throw out or replace. Those aren't flaws in the system, they're just not what I want and the beauty of the game is how easy it is to rip out the stuff I don't like.

The only real criticism I have of C&C at this point is lack of market share, but that will hopefully come with time. I have a dream... a dream where gamers across this great land play C&C. I have a dream... a dream where Castle Zagyg is fully published and I can finally die without regrets!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Buttmonkey wrote:
The only real criticism I have of C&C at this point is lack of market share, but that will hopefully come with time. I have a dream... a dream where gamers across this great land play C&C. I have a dream... a dream where Castle Zagyg is fully published and I can finally die without regrets!

In this current market C&C is actually doing rather well. ^_^

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

So true, Peter. So true.

If this were 20 years ago, C&C would be dead. But, considering the reality of RPGs today... C&C is kicking zebra and wearing a "Hello, my name is..." badge. Of. Doom.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have to agree with the buttmonkey here... I certainly hope that I get to entertain myself, and many others with the goodness that Castle Zagyg is likely to bring along. If CZ is as good as the Eastmark Folio and the Mouths of Madness adventure are as a template for what is upcoming, I can pass away being FRPG fulfilled.

I'm very serious.

...................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
I have a dream... a dream where Castle Zagyg is fully published and I can finally die without regrets!

Those Trolls involved are doing all they can, working everyday, to ensure this dream is a dream that dreamers only remember as a dream, for it shall be a reality more real than real. Really.

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

DangerDwarf wrote:
Try using the guidelines in the CZ: Class Options & Skills for XP. I just started using them and the first session resulted in between 700-1100XP for each party member.

Yeah, it does help bump up the otherwise potentially stingy XP reward, particularly the part about XP for each meaningful hour of game play participated in. Sort of like signing your name on the SAT and starting with 200 points, or however that works. I use these rules in moderation and typically have not seen 1st to 3rd level PCs getting less than 300 xp but usually not more than 500 unless some truly heroic stuff occurs. Of course, as they ascend in character levels, XP rewards are commensurate to increased difficulty and challenge.