The best setting ever:

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Dristram
Ulthal

Post by Dristram »

Torn between Greyhawk and Kalamar. My Kalamar campaigns were run like my Greyhawk games and worked extremely well. But if I had to choose....Gygaxian Greyhawk.

synabetic
Ungern

Post by synabetic »

Aside from my own campaign worlds (Dalisontia and Fylgir, uh, in case anyone is wondering... no?), I'd have to say my current faves are--

Old World from WFRP

Kalamar

Wilderlands

Hyboria (Conan)

When I was younger I was a big fan of Forgotten Realms, Blackmoor and Greyhawk (and thus Spelljammer... hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, right?).

Garweeze World holds a special place hostage in my heart.
Edit: Oh, yeah, somehow I neglected mentioning Lankhmar... Certainly one of my true faves.

bulletmeat
Ungern

Post by bulletmeat »

I'dhave to say three for different reasons each:

Dragonlance (first books read, first world gamed in)

Dark Sun (run like a grim Conan world)

Planescape (where ideas are deadlier than the monsters)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Gotta have lots of love for MIDNIGHT, as well. While Greyhawk will remain my favorite, probably, Midnight is so damn good that it needs to be mentioned again.

However, I'd like change my answer to another one day. I'd like to see the world where the East Mark and Yggsburgh is situated more closely examined. I know that will probably never happen, but so far I love everything released for this setting so far.

Maybe one day.

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Wes
Skobbit

Post by Wes »

Maztica, BABY!!1!!!
*crickets*

okay, I'll go with Kalamar then.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

What a terrible decision to have to make.

Going with only what I've gamed in, I'll go with:

Forgotten Realms

Yggsburgh

Warhammer's Old World

Spelljammer

Dyne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Dyne »

Ooh, I forgot to mention Dragonlance. I like some aspects of Eberron, but a bit of it seems rather meh.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

hmm... I'll go with Wilderlands, although Empire of the Petal Throne (Tekumel) and Greyhawk come in pretty close seconds.

G
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Gleemax Jr
Ungern

Post by Gleemax Jr »

Eberron. The World of Gleemax. And The World of the Prime Evils.

gnombient
Mist Elf

Post by gnombient »

Wilderlands gets my vote - love it, love it, love it.

SavageRobby
Hlobane Orc

Post by SavageRobby »

In the days way back, I was a Greyhawk guy. Then I was a Scarred Lands guy. Now I'm a Wilderlands guy.

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

1e and Early 2E Forgotten Realms

Midnight (the world I would have made, if I had the time
"If everyone was drunker, was beer cheaper? And if they were more drunk the further back one goes, is there a time when everyone was completely soused all of the time? And, could I go there?" -Davis Chenault

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

SavageRobby wrote:
In the days way back, I was a Greyhawk guy. Then I was a Scarred Lands guy. Now I'm a Wilderlands guy.

Make up yer mind already!!!!111
I really want to roll out another Savage Worlds game soon for the group. Maybe another ALIENS-universe thing, maybe a modern ops mission, dunno yet. Ever since I got a hold of the explorers edition of SW I've been itchin to play.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

johns
Red Cap

Post by johns »

Greyhawk

skeetyrbug
Henchman

Post by skeetyrbug »

Greyhawk or Wilderlands

Old School

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Wilderlands or Blackmoor for me.

-M

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Having given this much thought... I'd say a pinch of this and a dash of that!

Loved early Forgotten Realms (up to around the Time of Troubles which pretty much means 1st ed FR). Forgotten Realms was my AD&D campaign setting.

As I began to tire of that setting due to TSR pumping out accessory after accessory for FR, Spelljammer gave me what I was looking for.

With the dawn of 3rd Edition, I started developing my own stuff since nothing really caught my eye.

Then came C&C and Erde which proved to be a setting matching the 'feel' I had been looking for. Yet since I found that, I've starting looking at some of the Wilderlands material as well as some of the loose campaign info in some of the RoleAids stuff.

So... though right now... my favorite setting is more based on a 'feel' than an actual name. Elements introduced in Erde, Yggsburgh, Wilderlands, and other for spice producing a slightly dark/gritty/gothic feel with a flare for the mystical and fantastic (but not common).

Hmm... it's really hard to describe. Suffice to say, that material I've mentioned is stuff I *love* to look through and get excited when I think about incorporating these elements into my campaign.

So... a pinch of this... and a dash of that.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

synabetic
Ungern

Post by synabetic »

moriarty777 wrote:
Loved early Forgotten Realms (up to around the Time of Troubles which pretty much means 1st ed FR). Forgotten Realms was my AD&D campaign setting.

I'm in the same boat... I always forget to call it The Time of Troubles... I usually call it "That point in which I stopped buying any more FR books".
So, yeah, I loved 1st ed FR. ahhh... memories

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

What? No love for Mystara/Known World?!

Old School adventurers start in Threshold!
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

bighara wrote:
Old School adventurers start in Threshold!

Haha! Agreed. See the Mystara thread.
.....................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

SpencerWright
Hlobane Orc

Post by SpencerWright »

Almost anything by EGG, but Greyhawk is at the top of the heap!

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

(Yet another) Gygaxian Greyhawk

Grey box Forgotten Realms (the idea of a vast frontier crammed full of old ruins, very appealing. That focus has been shifted to NPCs methinks...such a pity)

Hyboria

Zakhara (Al-Qadim)

Mystara...though this seems to be more video gaming than anything, thanks to Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom and SSI's old Fantasy Empires game.

Hyboria

Kingdoms of Kalamar, though not so crazy about a lot of the nomenclature.

Fantasia - New Dimension Games's setting, brainchild of an old, old friend of mine.

Ravenloft

*back to sussing through the madness that my life has become over the last three months*

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I wonder if the Prince likes Hyboria?
........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

Omote wrote:
I wonder if the Prince likes Hyboria?
........................................Omote

FPQ

Dude, totally check out Hyboria, Conan's setting. It's sweet. Besides, the pre-amble always calls me out. "Know o ye Prince..." That's me!

Jason
Mist Elf

Post by Jason »

Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Ghul wrote:
Gygax Greyhawk. Shoehorn Yggsburgh between the Eery and the Neen to make it complete!

Ditto!

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Prince of Happiness wrote:
Dude, totally check out Hyboria, Conan's setting. It's sweet. Besides, the pre-amble always calls me out. "Know o ye Prince..." That's me!

Haha, no doubt. 'Tis a good setting, but tends to be a too low on technology for me. Well, kinda, it's hard to say. zi like it, but zi have run very few things in Hyboria for sure. Would love to play in Hyboria...

.................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

moriarty777 wrote:
Having given this much thought... I'd say a pinch of this and a dash of that!

As I began to tire of that setting due to TSR pumping out accessory after accessory for FR, Spelljammer gave me what I was looking for.

With the dawn of 3rd Edition, I started developing my own stuff since nothing really caught my eye.

Then came C&C and Erde which proved to be a setting matching the 'feel' I had been looking for. Yet since I found that, I've starting looking at some of the Wilderlands material as well as some of the loose campaign info in some of the RoleAids stuff.

So... though right now... my favorite setting is more based on a 'feel' than an actual name. Elements introduced in Erde, Yggsburgh, Wilderlands, and other for spice producing a slightly dark/gritty/gothic feel with a flare for the mystical and fantastic (but not common).

Hmm... it's really hard to describe. Suffice to say, that material I've mentioned is stuff I *love* to look through and get excited when I think about incorporating these elements into my campaign.

So... a pinch of this... and a dash of that.

Moriarty the Red

Have you looked at scarred lands setting. The current campaign is set 90 years after a god war. If you like the dark/gritty. However there is plenty of magical happenings. Still, though, check it out.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Nobody's mentioned Glorantha...

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

[quote="Prince of Happiness]Kingdoms of Kalamar, though not so crazy about a lot of the nomenclature.[/quote]

Yeah, Kalamar had a lot going for it and as a setting was pretty strong, but why all those unpronouncable 5-syllable names? I think it could have really become a #1 setting had people just not had to wade through all that wordiness, the end result being it was just too damn hard to remember stuff from the world.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com