No Class

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Dyne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Dyne »

I've been thinking about going with a classless, skill-based system for my setting as well. Problem is, I can't find a system that works, so I'm creating my own.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

CharlieRock wrote:
Tri-Stat made a "core Rulebook" for their line of games for under $10. It pretty much has the bare bones without the contextual flavor and setting their gamebooks have.

Too bad GoO went under.

I own the core rulebook, as well as BESM. While GoO did go under, Tri-Stat 3d edition has in fact been released, by ArtHaus.
Wikipedia Article: Big Eyes, Small Mouth wrote:
BESM 3rd Edition was released by ArtHaus on January 24, 2007. The new edition features a change in the Tri-Stat game mechanic from a "roll-under" to the "roll-over and hit a target number" found in other games. The book is now standard 8.5x11" format and features full color interior art. The Deluxe Edition was not released, and ArtHaus has not announced any plans to follow up with further releases or the previously-announced "Vanilla BESM."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dyne wrote:
I've been thinking about going with a classless, skill-based system for my setting as well. Problem is, I can't find a system that works, so I'm creating my own.

Have you tried Lejendary Adventures? If so, what didn't you like about it? Everyone I have been talking to about it says its good.

Deuce,

I own Tri-stat as well, but I hadn't heard about Arthaus doing the new version. I like Arthaus' Ravenloft and Warcraft, so I'll have to get it one of these days.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

bulletmeat
Ungern

Post by bulletmeat »

If you like the old WEG Star Wars games you could get D6 Fantasy. It is pretty basic, can make it gritty or high fantasy (wounds or HP like body points, spell creation and management). About $20 for the rule book. Monster book not to bad either.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

This thread has definitely managed to add to my list of games I wanna check out now.

Right now, I'm sticking with Savage Worlds. Its got everything I want in regards to what I'm looking for at the moment, and I already know its fun as hell.

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

2009 - look for another rpg - one that breaks no rules and abides by none

Dyne
Hlobane Orc

Post by Dyne »

Treebore wrote:
Have you tried Lejendary Adventures?

I've been meaning to check that one out.

I had created a sort of "D20 Basic" system awhile back that removed classes, turned all the special abilities into feats, and generally made everything much more streamlined and customizable. I had originally tailored it to Star Wars, but I could probably tweak it to Medieval Fantasy easily enough. I'm thinking it might be best to start with that, to keep it at least vaguely resembling D&D in mechanics.

Heck, now that I think about it, I could probably run a pretty quick-butt Star Wars campaign with my rules....

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Traveller wrote:
I own the core rulebook, as well as BESM. While GoO did go under, Tri-Stat 3d edition has in fact been released, by ArtHaus.

I thought White Wolf was going to pick up BESM.

Doh!

Any word on if ArtHaus is going to d oother Tri-Stat games. Maybe , SilverAge Sentinels? *crosses fingers*

Know your roll!

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

WOW.

Three pages of posting and nobody has mentioned Hero System. The ultimate point based classless system out there. Sure character creation is a bit involved but you can pretty much make whatever you want.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Three pages of posting and nobody has mentioned Hero System.

Some of us don't like the Hero system... too overburden with complexity and ease of abuse.

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Well I have always said that the level of complexity depends on how you play it. Still the point I was trying to make was that it is a game that doesn't use class or levels. It can be abusive but as long as you have mature players and an attentive GM that usually isn't that big a problem.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Well, I love Savage Worlds and would suggest picking up the Fantasy Bestiary and World Builder books if you haven't already. I picked up a copy of Necropolis at Gen Con and it's looking pretty awesome. I always was a sucker for Warhammer 40k style anyway.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

g026r
Mist Elf

Post by g026r »

serleran wrote:
There is also BRP

Unfortunately Chaosium hasn't finished publishing their new version of the BRP rules yet, and the various versions currently available have their own issues: the 16(?)-page version leaves much to be desired in terms of completeness, and the monographs are a tad expensive and slightly unfinished (being an early version of the new BRP book split up into separate volumes). The new single-book core rules should be out by year end though.

As is, you could technically just buy one of their other RPGs and adapt from that, but I find they often tend to be very setting-specific in their various iterations.

That said, I personally enjoy the Elric!/Stormbringer 5th ed. version of the BRP rules when it comes to fantasy. (Ok, I just really like the various fumble tables. ) Though, admittedly, combat between two high-powered opponents can take a while, what with the constant attack/parry occurrences.