What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by Buttmonkey »

I played a couple games of Splendor with my regular game group and won both. Nice. Splendor is a great game.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I hate to admit it, ... I had never heard / seen 'table top' until about 2 or 3 weeks ago ...

I don't even now how it popped into my you tube 'recommended' list. I don't remember what the game was, but it lead to 'furry of Dracula' - hadn't seen it before, but looked like a game I'd like (to bad my little ones wont get some of the innuendo and double entendre on it 'oh yeah I'm all in your red space' and my wife wouldn't find the humor in having to divert them from asking about it). Then it was the Betrayal on Hill house (I may have jacked up the name) ... cool.

Over the weeks I've watched others - Sheriff of Nottingham looked right up my alley ... (I can't see it going well trying to teach my girls to lie cheat and bribe ... some how their school won't find the humor in that) . On the other hand, the one about being princesses trying to get the best court - think I could sell that to the wife and girls, I mean come on they are girls and it is a game about princesses ... right ...

However, every time I'm watching table top, and my wife comes by, she makes a comment like '& you say I'm a geek' - she is and a bigger geek than me in the comic book and sci-fi area / I just beat her out as a history and fantasy geek - and rolls her eyes walking away.

I said all that to say this ,,, Catan cool !!! I've seen it at stores, but never sure I'd like it . I think I'm sold.

Plus I just saw the Star Wars X-wing game. Interesting. Not sure I could get a 9 & 10 1/2 year old to get interested in it. They are sold on harvesters, but that may be a bridge too far.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just picked up The Legend of Drizzt today. So, getting ready to play that in a day or two. I really enjoy Castle Ravenloft, and this plays basically the same... so should be fun.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:So, I've heard and read about this game for years and watched some play at the LGGC and GC and have been wanting to try it.

I watched the above video and found it hilarious.

Anyway, if I buy the starter game - should I go with the original or the 5E version?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

:P
Bought the game.

Interesting that Target and Wallymart have it on the shelves at their store for about $50. If you go online and buy it and then pick it up at the store, it's about $27.

Anyway, we're scheduled to play Sunday night.

To get into the proper mood, I re-watched this segment of Big Bang Theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEq-0inAWzk

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I bought my girls 'Welcome to the Dungeon' & 'Welcome Back to the Dungeon' as stocking stuffers - still haven't played them though.

However, my best friend from back in the military sent us a surprise gift (via my mom) - "Ticket to Ride". We played it last night, and the girls loved it.

What made it better was that it was my wife that turned into the person trying to block my daughters, hording cards to keep others from getting them and using them (it must be a Korean thing to automatically track and count cards), so I wasn't the evil agent of chaos
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Haven't posted in a while...

I've been playing a lot of Stone Age and Wrath of Dragons with my wife. We've also gotten in a few games of Talisman. Love all of those games, though I'm usually the loser. :)

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

serleran wrote:Played a game of Cards Against Humanity with my wife, a former coworker of hers, and that person's husband. Considering we have a lot of the expansions released, at least 9 of them, and the new 'green box' expansion that adds 300 cards, it was a bit of a beast to shuffle. Some really funny moments and a lot of "blah." The game suffers a bit from too many "names" -- most questions don't work well with names, but when they do fit, they can be awesome. Anyway, there are plenty of similar games so maybe I'll convince my wife we need to try Crabs Adjust Humidity.
Played Cards against Humanity last night with some neighbors. We tried the new blue box expansion, and had a lot of laughs. One person had never played before, so there were lots of surprises! Who thinks this stuff up?

Played Monopoly the other night with the kids. Had to call it quits after 3 hours... absolutely brutal. My son had most of the cash and the rest of us had almost all of our properties mortgaged. Next time, I'll break out my old game of Dungeon instead.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I got Terraforming Mars for Christmas. I've played it twice so far and both games played differently, an aspect that I really look for in boardgames. And my wife loves playing, too, which is nice! I really enjoy it.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

More Warhammer Quest, once again. With all of these excellent fantasy RPG tile companies out there, WHQ becomes even more evocative. For Warhammer Quest fans, check out http://www.blackscrollsgames.com/ and get DEEP! into WHQ.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Robo Rally. Bought it for one of my nephews as a birthday gift.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I haven't played any since moving to St Louis, which is ridiculous with all the gaming stores they have around here. I just need to get off my butt and go find a game. The board game bar they have down by an awesome BBQ place we love would probably be the easiest way for me to find a board game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Just finished playing a couple of rounds of "Welcome to the Dungeon" with my wife and the little ones

It was boring at first, until the girls started to figure out you need to set others up for failure and play mind games (and learn when to get out of a hand or try and trick others to stay in - if you have BFed them)

The last set was BRUTAL ! I love it.

Some how I'm sure these lessons don't fit in at the girls little Christian School, or in their Sunday school class, but I love helping the little ones learn them

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ace of Aces Powerhouse Series. Found this gem at a local Half Price for 20 bucks. I was floored. It is definitely old and used but in surprisingly good condition. Playable for sure. This was the best HPB find since I grabbed a 10-dollar used copy of Car Wars Arenas that, as it turns out, contained not only what was listed on the box, but Arenas 2, and Car Wars Classic Edition as well. Anyway, Ace of Aces is one of my favorite games ever. But it's hard to find at a reasonable price. I was overjoyed.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Just got my copy of the Traveller CCG. I backed the Kickstarter last year. The product is late, but the developers were very transparent and communicative, so I wasn't worried or upset. It's a slick and professional looking product. I can't wait to play it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:For anyone interested, we have a 99.99% complete set of Descent 1st edition. I think across the base and expansion, the only thing we are missing is one token, maybe a few more but no more than 5 which is pretty good. We even lucked out and got the version of one of the expansions that came boxed with a promo hero which is muy bueno awesome-o since that particular one is rarely up for purchase online. In any event, it leaves us having to get the metal lieutenant figures (15 or so, as I remember), 3 promo heroes specific to the Descent, and the Compendium of adventures. I can live with that. Game looks interesting.

Similarly, my wife and I bought a FFG version of Dungeonquest 1st edition which was supposed to have 6 heroes for use with Runebound, Descent, and Runewars. Unfortunately, it did not have the cards so I'm working with the seller to get them... thankfully they're agreeing to look into it and they are reputable, if not sometimes expensive. This time, though, I got a real good deal so I do hope they can locate the missing stuff that should have been in the box.

So, right now... I'm playing the re-release of Dungeonquest. I'm not sure I like it more or less than the original one by Games Workshop.
Nice! I played the original Descent at 2 or 3 conventions, and enjoyed it a great bit. I have the current iteration and a couple of its expansions, but have yet to even play it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:Yay! The seller located and is shipping replacements for the stuff I didn't receive. That makes me happy.

On the other front, point of the thread, I've been thinking about look at these games but don't really know anything about them:

Gloomhaven

Massive Darkness

Zombicide

It looks like Zombicide has an expansion that works with Massive Darkness so that's tempting. I hear only good thing about Gloomhaven but I also heard its a diceless game... not sure about that.
Yeah, I have Zombicide: Black Plague, but have yet to play it. :( I need to get out and socialize with the board gamers around here.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Folklore the Affliction something like set in Solomon Kane.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Post by anvil242 »

We got in a game of Clank! and Battlestar Galactica on Saturday, and I demo'd Gurps Fallout for some friends on Sunday

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Car Wars, and soon. Today I picked up two classic supplements - "Crash City (AKA "Sunday Drivers")" and "Truck Stop". Both were still factory sealed. Paid slightly less than what most people are asking for new. I tell ya, Half Price Books has been a great place for me to get Car Wars stuff. Last year, I picked up a copy of "Arenas" for ten bucks. Turns out it had all of the content from "Arenas" plus the content of "Arenas 2", as well as everything from the original game.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Zombie Plague, a free print and play boardgame that had quite a following on boardgamegeek.com for a few years. You can still get the files from rsquaredcomics.com using the Wayback Machine. And boardgamegeek.com has a bunch of files as well. Variants, alternative boards, expansions, etc. The game is easy, fast, and simple but retains a decently satisfying amount of tactical depth. Really hits the old sweet spot. Check it out.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Crib, you might know it as cribbage =)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I was able to get some really good deals on some games recently so we tried these:

Massive Darkness
Zombicide: Green Horde
Sword and Sorcery
Dungeon Dwellers
Thunderstone
Order of the Stick: The Dungeon of Dorukan
Hero Quest (which I owned already but I found an almost untouched copy for a very reasonable rate)
Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Treasures of the Lost Pyramid
Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault
Arkham Horror
Lost Worlds
The Undercity
Dungeon! (the newest one)
Gloomhaven
and... all the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game core games and decks (not the character and miscellaneous add-ons yet.)

Yeah. It was a very, very good deal.