StarSiege Relaunch

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: StarSiege Relaunch

Post by Rigon »

Man, that's a bummer. I think a good reorganizations and layout is all SS needs to be kickarse.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

So is this game dead other that being able to buy the core rules or will we see some effort to revive it at some point?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Daniel wrote:So is this game dead other that being able to buy the core rules or will we see some effort to revive it at some point?
This is all from memory: Steve had said in the past that he wanted to bring StarSIEGE more in line with C&C, AA, Havesters, and the other TLG games. So I think it will be a total rewrite with it becoming more of a class-based game than a skill-based game.

I personally wish they would just do a better edit and presentation for the existing rules and give it appropriate support like equipment supplements or a campaign setting. I like the skill based aspect of the game and if the presentation was better, it would have been a more successful game.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Rigon wrote:
Daniel wrote:So is this game dead other that being able to buy the core rules or will we see some effort to revive it at some point?
This is all from memory: Steve had said in the past that he wanted to bring StarSIEGE more in line with C&C, AA, Havesters, and the other TLG games. So I think it will be a total rewrite with it becoming more of a class-based game than a skill-based game.

I personally wish they would just do a better edit and presentation for the existing rules and give it appropriate support like equipment supplements or a campaign setting. I like the skill based aspect of the game and if the presentation was better, it would have been a more successful game.

R-
I concur. I think skill-based games make for better sci-fi games, in their "feel." Star Wars d6 is my game of choice for sci-fi (though it is more space opera than true sci-fi) because it captures the feel of the movies better than the d20 version of the SWRPG game (which I tried and abandoned). Star Frontiers is the other sci-fi game I liked playing and thought Star Siege was aiming to emulate it in the way C&C emulates AD&D.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Is it possible to get copies of the boxset anymore or are the sold out?

Very curious about this game.

Cheers!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

AslanC wrote:Is it possible to get copies of the boxset anymore or are the sold out?

Very curious about this game.

Cheers!
I don't think there are anymore boxed sets available, but I think they did a single book some time ago and I think there was a PDF also. You might want to check Drivethru or RPGNow for the PDF.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here, found it at RPGNow.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

I have the PDF, I want a book now :)

Guess Noble Knight or Ebay, here I come :)

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I can answer a few questions here. I'm writing the re-launch of StarSiege, though it's not on the release schedule yet (just trying to get ahead of things where I can). It will be brought in line with AA/C&C and as of now, the plan is that it will be released under the AA line as "Amazing Adventures StarSiege." We are, at this moment, looking to use AA as the core "modern" rules system for the SIEGE engine, releasing genre books underneath that overarching line. This avoids people having to re-purchase the rules over and over again for each new genre, and allows for maximum mix and match of products, which in turn improves our ability to support the lines.

Of course, this could well change as we move forward.

As for StarSiege, I DO plan to incorporate a skill package system, since people have overwhelmingly requested that. You can see a preview of how it's going to work in the Amazing Adventures Book of Powers. I want to keep the systems for creating equipment, as I thought those were very innovative and flexible. The classes I'm still playing around with but I want to build some flexibility into them as well. Combining Player Advantages with Generic Class Abilities from AA allows for deep customization which should allow everyone to create exactly the character they want from the game. There will be a number of alien races, some familiar, some new, and we will be incorporating a brand new setting, which Steve and I hammered out and I think is pretty damn cool (but then, I'm biased) ;).

As to WHEN it'll come out? I really couldn't say. Like I said, it's not on the schedule right now. I'm writing it as I can and I've got a TON of stuff on my plate for Steve at the moment. But it is being developed and I think and hope that most of you will really dig it.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Great! Glad to hear it is being worked on. Sounds like a good compromise between being C&C compatible, while still allowing for the customization folks like in their Sci-Fi games.

Jason Vey wrote:I can answer a few questions here. I'm writing the re-launch of StarSiege, though it's not on the release schedule yet (just trying to get ahead of things where I can). It will be brought in line with AA/C&C and as of now, the plan is that it will be released under the AA line as "Amazing Adventures StarSiege." We are, at this moment, looking to use AA as the core "modern" rules system for the SIEGE engine, releasing genre books underneath that overarching line. This avoids people having to re-purchase the rules over and over again for each new genre, and allows for maximum mix and match of products, which in turn improves our ability to support the lines.

As for StarSiege, I DO plan to incorporate a skill package system, since people have overwhelmingly requested that. You can see a preview of how it's going to work in the Amazing Adventures Book of Powers. I want to keep the systems for creating equipment, as I thought those were very innovative and flexible. The classes I'm still playing around with but I want to build some flexibility into them as well. Combining Player Advantages with Generic Class Abilities from AA allows for deep customization which should allow everyone to create exactly the character they want from the game. There will be a number of alien races, some familiar, some new, and we will be incorporating a brand new setting, which Steve and I hammered out and I think is pretty damn cool (but then, I'm biased) ;).

As to WHEN it'll come out? I really couldn't say. Like I said, it's not on the schedule right now. I'm writing it as I can and I've got a TON of stuff on my plate for Steve at the moment. But it is being developed and I think and hope that most of you will really dig it.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Jason Vey wrote:I can answer a few questions here. I'm writing the re-launch of StarSiege, though it's not on the release schedule yet (just trying to get ahead of things where I can). It will be brought in line with AA/C&C and as of now, the plan is that it will be released under the AA line as "Amazing Adventures StarSiege." We are, at this moment, looking to use AA as the core "modern" rules system for the SIEGE engine, releasing genre books underneath that overarching line. This avoids people having to re-purchase the rules over and over again for each new genre, and allows for maximum mix and match of products, which in turn improves our ability to support the lines.

This is cool news! Best of luck in making it work.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Zudrak wrote:

This is cool news! Best of luck in making it work.

Rgr that !!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I look forward to StarSiege being redone in AA format. I really like the AA product line. As a Bonus I can add elements from Victorious into the new StarSiege.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'll be interested to see how you handle this.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

This is GREAT news.

Well, decent news.

GREAT news would be that it's done and I don't have to wait for it anymore.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Jason is working on a Star SIEGE "Companion" type book for AA.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I had heard that, but didn't know if he was actually doing it or just talking about it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:I had heard that, but didn't know if he was actually doing it or just talking about it.

R-

He is actually writing it. No idea when its going to be released, or even when he is going to be finished with his part, but he is working on it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I was considering getting this one. Any thoughts on it as a system? How does it compare to Traveler?

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I went ahead and bought it. Only $ 9.00 so no harm if I don't end up using it.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I was just reading something on a Canadian TV series I had never heard of called "The Starlost". It came out in 1973 and featured a multi-generational starship called EarthArk 50 miles wide, 200 miles long. Sounds suspiciously like Ward's Starship Warden. Although I never played Metamorphosis Alpha, this seems pretty close to how the ship is described, complete with different biospheres housing different culture.