My Troll Con

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
seskis281
Lore Drake

My Troll Con

Post by seskis281 »

Got in on Thursday afternoon - I got lucky as I flew out of Milwaukee and the storms that flooded the runway and shut down the airport hit literally as we were taking off.... would've been bummed had I not made it to TC, but the winds of fate were on my side this time...

Breakdaddy picked me up and off to Steve's for a pre-con get-together. Started drinking beer. Had four I think in first 45 minutes... slowed down, switched to Diet Coke.... got to meet Bowbe at last, met Larry Elmore and had 1st of several conversations with one of the most genuinely nice and courteous individuals I've met in the gaming industry (spent a lot of time comparing our "living in WI experiences"). Ended up jumping in and grilling for the gang, while Mark conjured his chicken/pork cockatrace in the kitchen.

Later Thur. Treebore came and gave me ride to his hotel, where I joined his pre-con game while John Appel (CKDad) ran another down the hall.

I do apologize to any there at this point - keeping up with wife and daughter, who were also travelling during weekend separate from me, meant I had to take some inconvenient phone calls during the weekend - sorry for that
Friday morning - got up too early, bummed around waiting for con to start. Managed to finally gather Mac Golden, Davis's, Todd's and Mark's signiatures for my orginal C&C PHB collection...

Con opened up and got busy looking about - picked up Fields of Battle and A7 during the con (* Hey Steve - remember to let us know a new mod will be ready lol!). Rigon and I ran down to get the CKG preview while we at dinner later that evening and Morty was showing it off. Got 1 of the numbered/signed Codex Personas.

Ran my 1st game, a "Nightmare Before Dying," on Friday afternoon - had Rigon, Tree's daughter Rhiannon, Steve's brother Zane, CKDad, brotherdew amongst the players. They were doing pretty well till the final soul-trapped Dragon in the swirling treasure chamber at the end.... rip Clang (Rigon's wonderful barbarian - he would only say "Clang!") who succumbed to the glories of battle. The rest defeated the creature, but only the 2 rogues and the cleric remained conscious. Then the 2 rogues (Rhiannon and Zane Chenault) decided to go VERY rogue, offed the rest of their party and took all the treasure to end the game.

Friday nite was Steve's omni-bus Darkenfold game with, like, 18 of us playing. I played a patriotic good Fighter trying to rally a lost cause (don't worry - almost no one was following me.....) How to describe the game? a party civil war. Derek (geekpreacher from the GaryCon and DF boards) assasinated one of our coked-out troublesome bards (the new TLG intern and Steve's nephew Neil I believe....), and then it degenerated from there. Steve and monsters killed no one. Party killed several of their own.....

I'd say Friday was the most "mercenary" day of gaming I've seen in my years of the hobby....

Saturday I played sub-sub chief Garg in CKDad's Kobold game.... as I said in another post, Garg shamed his clan..... he almost died then ran in fear from final baddy..... thx btw to John's son for subbing for the character when I had to leave for phone and for food - should have let him just take over - he was rolling better than me!

Saturday afternoon was the panels with the Trolls, learned alot, looks like a lot is on the horizon. The highpoint here was watching Steve and Davis veer firmly into discussion of the minutia and deteils of plate tectonics!!
Then came my "Lost Tomb of Alydar" game Sat. nite.... probably one of the best con games I've run, from my perspective - really great role-playing for 1st half in a city, unlocking and running down clues with good atmosphere in finding this hidden crypt, then good classic dungeon-delving for second half. Didn't quite get to finish it, but was great. Finally Rhuvein got to play in a game of mine, but sadly his Gnome Rogue LaRoo will have to be remembered for his deeds.... he was devoured by a gibbering mouther (the crypt has a magical random monster generator that brings increasingly difficult guardians into the rooms and halls unless destroyed). Had Morty's brother Tim in the game, mabon and his friends, brotherdew (good to mee Dewayne and his family - new to C&C and seemed very excited!), Rhu, Rhiannon and a guy named Chris trying C&C out for 1st time.

As I said, Rhu's character died, as did a character Tim was running for Morty in case he could join game in progress from Casey's FOB run (he never did - that game kept GOING man!) - that character died too, technically making this 2 straight cons I've killed a "Morty" character (even tho he never played this one lol !!!)

That adventure is for future "ultimate crypt" in Crusader, and my thanks as this helped me eveluate it very well - think it should be a tad higher than 3/4 level.....

Won some Reaper minis in the raffle. Swag grabbed: Got Elmore's art book and had him sign it, picked up the HH cover art piece print from Peter, snagged FOB, A7, Codex Persona, and a copy of Crusader #1 reprint. Bought an old AD&D Rogues Gallery and S2 White Plume Mountain from Castle Perilous.

Watched The Shining after return to room after midnight....

Early breakfast Sunday, pretty much hung out and chatted with all during the morning on Sunday before I flew out yesterday afternoon. Bemoaned how short cons are
Looking forward to next year if at all possible!!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Adding on...

It was a joy to see all the Trolls again, and to meet at last Casey "Bowbe" and Mac Golden.

Good as always to see Robert (Treebore) and his family, Morty and Ross (Rhuvein), and Chuck (Rigon)

Happy to meet in person John (CKDad), mabon, brotherdew and his family, nice to meet Christina Stiles and her husband, tho they were there all too briefly (they were just stopping by while on vacation really).

Was very sad Fat Dragon couldn't make it, sorry not to see Tylermo, and we were all just plain bummed that the DangerDwarf did not materialize!!

www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Werdages, dude. Next year we need to ensure that all of the aforementioned cats make it along with a slew of other first-time attendees from these boards.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Good to hear you were able to have a fun and relax.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a great time. And The Shining is ALWAYS good! Makes for a damn fun adventure in nearly any setting.
~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Great report, John!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm sorry I wasn't there. This talk of A7, grilling, Codex Persona, grilling, Crusader 1 reprint????, and grilling. Is making my mouth water.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

seskis281 wrote:
Happy to meet in person John (CKDad), mabon, brotherdew and his family, nice to meet Christina Stiles and her husband, tho they were there all too briefly (they were just stopping by while on vacation really).

Hey, it was great to finally meet you, as well. I'm very sorry we couldn't stay longer. The drive was very long, so the hubby split it into two days up and two days back. That left us with only a full Friday in Arkansas. And I was feeling horrible on Friday night, so I did not come down from my room to game. My high blood sugar has really been kicking my butt. Still not feeling great.

I'm very glad I got to meet many of you from the boards and Peter and the Troll Lord himself. If there's a next TC for me, I'll plan to be there longer and will hopefully be in better health.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

One of these days I am going to sit in on one of your games. Finally got into CKdads, and after all this time (Gen Cons and Troll Cons) I finally got into one of Steve's games. I helped Rhu slaughter that Hill Giant with 19 HP of my own!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

John's game looked like a lot of fun. So did John's, for that matter. Both games looked great. I need to get into both of them next time. I already have a rough outline of my Troll Con game for next year, so I'll be ready for my own session as well.

John and John are CKDad and Seskis for those who don't know
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

MAybe we should have a "board sign up only" game or two, or 5.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mabon5127
Ungern

Post by mabon5127 »

Great time meeting you Seskis! And a darn fine job as "Sub Sub Chief" in CKDad's Kobald Boogaloo!

Morgan

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Christina Stiles wrote:
Hey, it was great to finally meet you, as well. I'm very sorry we couldn't stay longer. The drive was very long, so the hubby split it into two days up and two days back. That left us with only a full Friday in Arkansas. And I was feeling horrible on Friday night, so I did not come down from my room to game. My high blood sugar has really been kicking my butt. Still not feeling great.

I'm very glad I got to meet many of you from the boards and Peter and the Troll Lord himself. If there's a next TC for me, I'll plan to be there longer and will hopefully be in better health.

Hi Christina. Sorry to have missed you. I arrived around 3:30, so I probably just missed you.

And sorry you weren't feeling well, hopefully you'll be OK soon. I too need to watch my BS, but have been doing real well as of late.

Sooo, see ya next year or perhaps you and hubby might consider GaryCON in March!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Breakdaddy wrote:
John's game looked like a lot of fun. So did John's, for that matter. Both games looked great. I need to get into both of them next time. I already have a rough outline of my Troll Con game for next year, so I'll be ready for my own session as well.

John and John are CKDad and Seskis for those who don't know

Heh, I did get in John's game but was unable to get in John's game.

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Re: My Troll Con

Post by Titania Lefey »

seskis281 wrote:
Ran my 1st game, a "Nightmare Before Dying," on Friday afternoon - had Rigon, Tree's daughter Rhiannon, Steve's brother Zane, CKDad, brotherdew amongst the players. They were doing pretty well till the final soul-trapped Dragon in the swirling treasure chamber at the end.... rip Clang (Rigon's wonderful barbarian - he would only say "Clang!") who succumbed to the glories of battle. The rest defeated the creature, but only the 2 rogues and the cleric remained conscious. Then the 2 rogues (Rhiannon and Zane Chenault) decided to go VERY rogue, offed the rest of their party and took all the treasure to end the game.

It was one of those things where I had been thinking about it at the back of my mind and then I looked across the table at Zane and he was looking directly at me. I knew then that he wanted to kill them all for the gold as well and heck if it didn't sound like a good idea too. Our rogues had been tackling all the traps collaboratively too so it made sense that we would function as a team against the rest of the party. It is always a bad thing when to two rogues at the table make eye contact and say "You want me to pass the note?"

"I was just going to look! With fire...and lightning...and reanimated chipmunks....and raccoons... on fire."-Richard

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I had a blast playing in John's Friday game. Clang was an ass-kicking barbarian!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

C L A N G !!!!

www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Dorien
Ungern

C&C Characters

Post by Dorien »

If you are going to pick a character to play, play the character you picked.

Rogue: a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.

Synonyms: villain, trickster, swindler, cheat.

And if you play with fire, you will get burned.

There was a ton of loot there