An editorial I wrote after my first trollcon

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
brotherdew
Ungern

An editorial I wrote after my first trollcon

Post by brotherdew »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought that some of you might want to read an editorial I wrote for the Nashville News after attending my first Trollcon.

The beauty of Arkansas can even be found in the arms of a troll

Do I have your attention?

I have a confession to make, I am a gamer.

For those of you who may not know what that means, it means I play role-playing games.

Yep, I play Dungeons&Dragons, among other games. My wife doesn't understand how I can sit around a table with a bunch of people and play make believe.

All I can say is "I can't believe you can't sit around a table with a bunch of people and play make believe."

It all started in 1981 when I bought a D&D Basic Set off the clearance aisle in a department store in Nashville.

The art was amazing. There was a picture of a warrior battling a red dragon who looked as if he was jumping off the front of the box. One look and I was hooked.

I never really got a chance to play much after that, because, well most people I knew just didn't see how you could sit around a table and play make believe, but I managed to stay interested in the game and even found some people to play with after awhile.

Flash-forward to last week and I find myself in Little Rock at Trollcon, my first gaming convention.

I knew the convention was being promoted by a gaming company of some kind, but I was there to meet Larry Elmore, the man responsible for the amazing art on the front of that old dusty red box in my closet.

Mr. Elmore was very nice and he even signed my piece of hidden red cardboard treasure, but then something else happened. I found a new avenue of adventure called Castles&Crusades.

Now don't get me wrong, I still play D&D (short for Dungeons&Dragons). In fact, I have several books at home that I have used over the past few years, but nothing that stirs my love for adventure like what I found at the convention.

C&C (Castles&Crusades) is a game created with the same simplistic desire to have fun as the original rpgs and to make things even better, it was created by people from Arkansas.

Stephen and Davis Chenault are the creators of C&C and the founders of Trolllord Games. The Chenault brothers are not only living the American dream, but they are living the Arkansas dream.

Arkansas is known for innovative people like Sam Walton and J.B. Hunt. People who have revolutionized their industry, all from the confines of our fair state.

Steve and Davis, along with the guys at Trolllord Games are doing the same thing. They not only create the product, they print it as well, keeping most all of their production in Arkansas.

I have to admit that a family owned company that prints their own product struck close to home, so I was intrigued by not only the game, but the company as well.

Stephen was eager to talk shop and he shared that it was his passion for gaming that led to the creation of their company, but it was pure economics that led them to start their own print shop.

After we talked about the technical side for awhile, we began to discuss the game of Castles&Crusades.

Their game hearkens back to the glory years of the original game, with simple rules that leave most of the gameplay to the players. It hasnt had an update since its release in 2004.For those who may play D&D you know that most companies come out with updated rules about every three years.

There philosophy is, if it aint broke dont fix it, and they just continue to sit back and enjoye the game they have created.

I had the chance to sit down with the creators themselves, along with gamers from all across the country and play.

Guess what it was great! I enjoyed a game that allowed me to become that warrior on the front of the red box that I wanted to become so many years ago. (all within sight of Mr. Elmore, who was happily drawing a troll in the corner.)

Now as I sit at my desk in the office a week later I have to ask myself, why should I have to drive to Little Rock to enjoy a hidden jewel of our great state?

So, if your reading this and you like to play rpgs, give me a call at the Nashville News office. We will sit around a table and play make believe as we support another home-grown Arkansas business.

Hey, we'll get to slay some dragons and maybe even find a magic item or two, just don't forget to bring your best d20.

HEHEHEHEHE I'm a skobbit
Bandits DON'T use train tickets.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Well stated, man. Welcome to the crusade!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Haha NICE! A great little write up for Troll Con and also a little fishin' bait thrown out there to catch any closet gamers in your area. WIN
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Being born in bred in Arkansas (although transplanted to Mississippi), this makes me happy.

Also, I bet most people didn't even know there was a Nashville, AR.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

brotherdew
Ungern

Post by brotherdew »

Haha, yeah we get cold calls from people from time to time, thinking we must be some be paper in Nashville TN.

Those who know of Nashville AR, know of them because of their football team. It has been said that football in Nashville is as close as you can get to Texas high school football outside of Texas.

I haven't had any responses yet, but if I just get one or two I could start up a game.

HEHEHEHEHE I'm a skobbit
Bandits DON'T use train tickets.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Nice article, BrotherDrew.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Cool brotherD!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm sure Stephen and Davis are happy to know that they're the Sam Waltons of gaming. Minus the billion dollar income, that is. haha

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

All the Dr. Pepper a man could ever drink. From a wine glass no less. hehe

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Nice article. I am always glad to see a possitive spin on our hobby in the press.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"