View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
GENCON: THE WRAP UP 
Unkbartig

Post GENCON: THE WRAP UP
Well gang, Gencon has finally come and gone in a whirlwind fashion once again. I had a blast this year, and just wanted to say how cool it was to see you guys from the boards again. Adult beverages were drank and epic adventures were had by many.
Wednesday night saw me at Scotty's getting inebriated with the crew. I vaguely remember finishing Omotes unattended beer at one point. Thursday was shopping in the vendor hall and playing Flames of War for the first time. After that, it was time to run some C&C for the Minneapolis Crew until 230 in the morn. Mark was a crazy man and got everyone in a bit of bind by the end of the session, but in his defense, he was roleplaying the heck out of his character. A special thanks to Omote for letting me crash in his room for a much needed 4.5 hours of sleep...after which me and the O man played in an awesome game of the One Ring. That was really cool. So that was 8a to noon, and after a quick lunch, I played Savage Worlds from 1-5pm. From there, we grabbed a healthy repast of wings, nachos, beer and pizza at the Rock Bottom pub. Thoroughly a train wreck by now, I still managed to run a game for Breakdaddy and Co. until I think it was 1a. BD had me in stitches with his improv stand-up lines and his justifiable tirade about my frugal provisions for the high level characters. ("Dude! What is up with this Dollar Store Wizard? He's all Goodwill ...." and " He went all Davis on us!") It was really, really cool to be able to game with BD, Kim, Mcbain (and his brother!), and of course, Tom Tullis (who seemed rather preoccupied with drawing disturbing pictures and showing them to us at the table....lol).
Saturday was more shopping and running my official event for C&C. My brother and I both ran games over at the Marriott. I had Mike, a player from my brothers home group, three players new to C&C, and the mighty Lord Dynel at my table. These guys had a blast with a simple 1st level adventure, which felt pretty epic. My brother had to leave for Switzerland on Sunday morning, so we called it quits Sat afternoon, said our goodbyes, and left for home.

All in all, I got my gaming in for sure this year. I may have permanently lost a point of constitution, but it was worth it!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm
Battle Stag

Post Re: GENCON: THE WRAP UP
Yeah man, it was indeed an awesome time. Lots of Trolls and C&C were had. It was very cool hanging out with EPiper, his bro, Lord D and a bunch of other folks this weekend. Great job running games until the wee hours of the morning Piper!

Friday night for me saw a C&C adventure of 24th level characters. CommanderFuron ran a crazy, disturbing game of Orcus returning to the world. Our intrepid heroes included Snoring Rock from these very message boards. Of course, during the course of the adventure we battled the Mogrl and a host of cultists. The lone survivors of the adventure were a wizard and unnamed rogue. The blood, guts, and demonic undead stole the show. Great adventure, awesome time.

~O

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

I don't believe a word of it. This "GEN CON" you speak of; I have seen nary a shred of visual evidence that it took place.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:29 pm
Greater Lore Drake

It was fun hanging out with you cats this year. Piper ran a hell of a great game, even if he rocked the blue light special on our characters' equipment. My wizard was all back of the bus and sh*t, but the game itself was awesome. It's always fun to get some time in with my friends on these forums although I always wish I had more time for actual gaming.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Aergraith wrote:
I don't believe a word of it. This "GEN CON" you speak of; I have seen nary a shred of visual evidence that it took place.

Yeah....if there are no pics. It didn't happen. :twisted:

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:33 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Piper runs our Gen Con C&C game! AGNKim, Mcbain, Scott (Mcbain's Brother), and Tom Tullis of Fat Dragon Games are pictured. Im taking the pic, so am not:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 am
Greater Lore Drake

What Savage Worlds game did you play?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 am
Greater Lore Drake

Sadly, I didn't, Tyler. I bought the Deluxe edition hardback and it's awesome, but no time to play SW this con :(

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 am
Greater Lore Drake

I've got the SWD pdf, and I'm waiting on pre-ordered book and cards. Supposedly arriving this week or early next. Time will tell about some of the changes(wounds, incap, chases, new edges, etc.) Wish I could have been there, splitting my time between Pinnacle Entertainment, Triple Ace Games, and Troll Lord. As it stands, I'll be doing good to see Stephen and Todd once a year.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:48 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I plan on playing some SWDeluxe soon! In the meantime, Mcbain rolled in today and we deployed a quick game of Space Hulk on his lunch break. I won VERY NARROWLY! If I hadnt pulled a really excellent command point marker at random on the final turn, it would have been a guaranteed defeat for my space marines!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Almost forgot they had a new Space Hulk out. Never played the old one. Too many games, too little money(especially these days).

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Yeah, but the pricing for the Space Hulk 3rd edition at this year's gen con was CRAZY (around 250 bucks!). I'm glad I picked it up before the pricing went through the roof.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:24 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Let me guess. It's out of print again, and the 1,000 people that want it are willing to pay 250 dollars? :-)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 am
Greater Lore Drake

Yup!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 am
Greater Lore Drake

I guess I don't understand. Maybe it's economics, or maybe it's the mystique of, "Ooooo! If we let _______(insert rpg, board, or card game here)go out of print, it'll be worth double or triple on Ebay." Admittedly, the number of people who want and/or play Space Hulk is probably FAR less than the number of people who played D&D during the 1980's. It seems to me that if enough people want it that bad, a company could(short of production costs)find a way to provide. Then again, if it's widely available maybe interest slacks off. Either way, it's not just high prices for Spiderman #1, or Willie Mays rookie cards(things the general public tends to be aware of), it's sort of big bids for lesser known geek pop culture items as well. If you want it, you'd better buy it before it goes out of print. At least with rpg's, you can still have access with pdf's and scans, but board games are a bit trickier.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 am
Unkbartig

Hey Tyler,
I played in an awesome SW game called the Pyramid of Bin-Ra, run by Evil Mike. It was a pulp adventure pitting our intrepid adventurers in a race against the Nazis to recover the Ahnk of Ra in trap laden tomb. The insane awesomeness came from the custom made multilayer pyramid model, which we traversed down from the top to the bottom, layer by layer. Pics will be up soon. I would tell you guys the story of the adventure but Evil Mike runs it every year, so I dont want to ruin it for those on the boards. It was a blast!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 am
Lord High Inquisitor

Jason, how did you take such awesome pictures? Do you have a picture phone?!?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 am
Greater Lore Drake

AGNKim wrote:

I do indeed. I actually set it to maximum resolution now, since all the pics I took at gen con were taken at low res due to me being a dumbass and not changing my settings on mah galaxy s :(

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 pm
Battle Stag

>Insert: Space Hulk is awesome. Love that game.

~O

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Lord High Inquisitor

Breakdaddy wrote:
AGNKim wrote:

I do indeed. I actually set it to maximum resolution now, since all the pics I took at gen con were taken at low res due to me being a dumbass and not changing my settings on mah galaxy s :(

PICTURE PHONE!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:29 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Omote wrote:
>Insert: Space Hulk is awesome. Love that game.

~O

FULL DISCLOSURE:

Word.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Rematch with McBain today. He got extremely unlucky and lost his power sword sergeant after only having felled one genestealer (even though he was "GUARDING"!). Bad bad luck. It went south from there. He was forced to overuse his heavy flamer and almost run out of ammo for it while my Genestealers were forming a nice little line to kick his butt. In the end, the Genestealers won by killing the marine with the heavy flamer and ending the scenario. A victory for Breakdaddy two days in a row:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Red Cap

Good games indeed. I really like Space Hulk and enjoy the Warhammer 40K setting. And yes, i got bad rolls on my Sergeant that caused me to loose him very quickly. He went out like Mace Windu in Revenge of the Sith. Like a bitch!

Anyhow, after he was killed, there was no way to stop the flood of Genestealers from overtaking the rest of my force. Good strategy, just bad rolls. Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes. Good times no matter.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

I am indeed familiar with Evil Mike, and his partner in crime, Chaos Steve. They're actually with Pinnacle Entertainment in one capacity or another. They run games at Origins, GenCon, Con on the Cob, and maybe a few maller ones. They run the Savage Worlds Explorers Society, and have proofread, and contributed to some product. Great guy from Indy who run some great games. Known em' since 05 or 06 GC.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:31 pm
Unkbartig

Here are some pics of the SW game with Evil Mike.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]