Lejendary Adventure, skill bundles, books

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Lejendary Adventure, skill bundles, books

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

I had the pelasure to read LA Essentials - the rules. I must say, it all sounds really, really cool. It is sad that the actual book cannot be found digitally. Has anyone got them? Also has anyone actually played this.
LAst but not least, seeing the abilites, I was thinking fo incorproating the descriptions into C&C, obviously not with the system, but with something like check bonuses aka Novice +2, Proficient + 4, Expert + 6, etc.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Lejendary Adventure, skill bundles, books

Post by Tadhg »

Dorf the Dwarf wrote:I had the pelasure to read LA Essentials - the rules. I must say, it all sounds really, really cool. It is sad that the actual book cannot be found digitally. Has anyone got them? Also has anyone actually played this.
LAst but not least, seeing the abilites, I was thinking fo incorproating the descriptions into C&C, obviously not with the system, but with something like check bonuses aka Novice +2, Proficient + 4, Expert + 6, etc.
Yes!

I played this with Gary as the LM. Fabulous gaming afternoon to say the least.

Somewhere, I may have some notes to game. If I find them, I will post.

Also, I have an extra LA Essentials box set for you or anyone that might be interested for sale.

Welcome here and as I like to say . .

enjoy the game.

Rhu. :P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:
Dorf the Dwarf wrote:I had the pelasure to read LA Essentials - the rules. I must say, it all sounds really, really cool. It is sad that the actual book cannot be found digitally. Has anyone got them? Also has anyone actually played this.
Yes!

I played this with Gary as the LM. Fabulous gaming afternoon to say the least.

Somewhere, I may have some notes from the game. If I find them, I will post.

Also, I have an extra LA Essentials box set for you or anyone that might be interested, for sale.

Welcome here and as I like to say . .

enjoy the game.

Rhu. :P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

Thank you. I'm glad to be here. I'd like to enjoy the game, but I have a player burnout and after that I will have to proselytize about the glory of C&C to players used to D&D 5E. I hope I will be successful. I have the Beacon adventure and Shadows of the Halfling Hall - so I can introduce the game with splendid adventures for beginners!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Shadows is a great module. I ran it for my group some years ago.

For beginners, though ~ I'll recommend The Rising Knight from the Trolls. First in an excellent series of modules.

Well written and fun to CK, my players really enjoyed it.

:)

Lunamancer
Skobbit

Post by Lunamancer »

I've been playing the game for 20 years now. I think it lives up to what it set out to do. It was easy to learn initially. But it's also had a lot of depth and challenge to keep me interested for 20 years. And it is a game that has a real feel or spirit of its own.
I first encountered Lejendary Adventure back in 97 when it was still in Beta form. I was, of course, playing AD&D back then. I never liked the NWP system. So by that point I had already created my own percentile-based skill system for AD&D using the secondary skills and the "expert hirelings" section of the DMG. So then I find LA has percentile-based skills that are broad bundles which are basically professions unto themselves? That was the perfect fit. So I borrowed heavily from the LA list along with a few of my own. It worked great.

I used the strict level limits on demi-humans, but I'd allow continued advancement in the skills. So an Elf could continue to improve in Archery, and it kind of reminded me of the attack ranks for demi-humans in BECMI.