Savage Worlds-Hellfrost

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
GameOgre
Ulthal

Savage Worlds-Hellfrost

Post by GameOgre »

I love crunch lite games like C&C and Savage Worlds. Normally when we play fantasy we always play C&C. SW just did not seem to have a normal setting for fantasy. Even once the Fantasy Companion for it came out we just stayed away out of habit.

This changed last night when I recieved a copy of the Hellfrost players guide. I must say it was very well done and im happy with the mix of normal fantasy and the Winter aspect of the game. I just can't go on enough about the feel and setting"and this had little actual setting!!". I am about to order the world guide for it in fact.

I'm not sure if I will use it all for Savage World or steal it for my C&C game but either way im happy to throw some cash there way for this awsome product. There was a free map download at there website that I blew up and printed out! Just great!

Im sure playing it as a SW game would be fine .....its just habit and my Troll love that brings playing it in C&C to mind.

Subscriber to Crusader Magazine!
http://www.cncsociety.org

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hellfrost does look pretty dang cool.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm still trying to either get a Solomon Kane game going, or finding one I can join.

In other words, SW has a lot of cool stuff done for it! Well worth stealing for other RPG's at the very least!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Re: Savage Worlds-Hellfrost

Post by Christina Stiles »

I know a lot of these Savage World folks, and game with them at my local cons. SW is fun stuff. Hellfrost is awesome, too!!!

And, Treebore, you just might get your C&C and your Hellfrost. :)

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams stated on the recent Beautiful Books & Brains chat that some Hellfrost adventures are receiving a C&C conversion. They aren't likely to be released until April or so, but they are in the works.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

That is fantastic news.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice. What's the book to pick up for the definitive Hellfrost setting info?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

This is AWSOME!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

HF author, Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams is one of the most prolific rpg writers today. He has made great contributions to Savage Worlds, and HF is one of them. Wiggy mentioned(at least a few years ago)that he is a fan of Castles and Crusades. I've known for a little while that there was interest in doing some Hellfrost for C&C. Glad to hear that it's finally in the works. Seems a logical choice to do the existing HF SW adventures at least. Will probably be pdf for sure, but I don't know their plans. Playing through either system is fine, but this will broaden the audience by letting people play Hellfrost in the old school C&C fashion. With Wiggy, his TAG cohorts, and TLG working together, this won't be some slopped together fluff. This will be a quality product(even if only pdf). If I recall correctly, Wiggy met the Trolls at GenCon earlier this year.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Omote wrote:Nice. What's the book to pick up for the definitive Hellfrost setting info?

~O
The Hellfrost Gazetteer for the world info, though Wiggy has pdf region guides available, too. The other core would be the Hellfrost Player's Guide and the Bestiary. There's an Encounters book that I don't have yet.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

tylermo wrote:HF author, Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams is one of the most prolific rpg writers today. He has made great contributions to Savage Worlds, and HF is one of them.
I emphatically agree that HF is one of them! And, yes, Wiggy is extremely prolific. TAG has some great stuff out there.
tylermo wrote: Wiggy mentioned(at least a few years ago)that he is a fan of Castles and Crusades. I've known for a little while that there was interest in doing some Hellfrost for C&C. Glad to hear that it's finally in the works. Seems a logical choice to do the existing HF SW adventures at least. Will probably be pdf for sure, but I don't know their plans.
Yes, they are conversions of some of the SW HF pdf adventures currently available. I'm doing the conversions, and I just hope I do them justice.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Glad to hear you're on the job, Christina. I remember telling someone you were a player of both games, and had done some rpg work over the years(They probably already knew that. haha) I miss doing my little bit of proofreading for Wiggy, but real life got in the way. Got another used computer, but I've got to get it hooked up and ready for use. No way to do that sort of stuff on my cell phone. Anyway, where can the currently converted adventures be found? Best of luck with that, Christina. You edit for TLG, and have a working knowledge of both systems. I doubt a better person could have been picked for the job. :-)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Agreed! Good luck with the conversions. I look forward to reading them.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

tylermo wrote:Glad to hear you're on the job, Christina. I remember telling someone you were a player of both games, and had done some rpg work over the years(They probably already knew that. haha)
I think Wiggy said you mentioned me to him. I do play SW, but I've yet to run it, so I hope my understanding of it works. I think Scott Woodward will be editing the things, and he's familiar with both games, so it should be ok.
I miss doing my little bit of proofreading for Wiggy, but real life got in the way. Got another used computer, but I've got to get it hooked up and ready for use. No way to do that sort of stuff on my cell phone.
Wiggy mentioned you did work for him in the chat the other night. Very cool.
Anyway, where can the currently converted adventures be found? Best of luck with that, Christina. You edit for TLG, and have a working knowledge of both systems. I doubt a better person could have been picked for the job. :-)
Wiggy said likely in April before he could send any through layout. I've only done one so far. He's planning on 4 to gauge the C&C gamers' interest.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. :)

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Omote wrote:Agreed! Good luck with the conversions. I look forward to reading them.

~O
Thanks! I'll update when I have more concrete info.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

April it is then. I toally forgot about Scott. Yep. He's good to go for both systems. With the two of you...even better. I've missed both of the chats so far, but it was nice of Wiggy to mention me. I was just a guy who signed up at the right time. I just did some proof reading with the assistance of Microsoft. I hope response is good for the new project.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

All, it looks like there will be another core book: The Rassilon Expansion. Details via the link:

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30110

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

Converted adventures would be ok, but I'd REALLY REALLY like a C&C setting book for Hellfrost. I bought the Hellfrost Player's Guide and really enjoyed the setting premise, but I sold the book because my group is averse to learning new systems - we pretty much only play D&D-like systems - and I'm too lazy to convert it myself.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Birthright wrote:Converted adventures would be ok, but I'd REALLY REALLY like a C&C setting book for Hellfrost. I bought the Hellfrost Player's Guide and really enjoyed the setting premise, but I sold the book because my group is averse to learning new systems - we pretty much only play D&D-like systems - and I'm too lazy to convert it myself.
I suppose if there is enough interest it might be something TAG would consider.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Btw, check out my Beer Run! mini-adventure in Kobold Quarterly #16 if you like beating up thursir giants and taking their beer!

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Re:

Post by KJSEvans »

Treebore wrote:I'm still trying to either get a Solomon Kane game going, or finding one I can join.

In other words, SW has a lot of cool stuff done for it! Well worth stealing for other RPG's at the very least!
I own the Solomon Kane book... if you want to try to get an online game going, if the night is convenient to me I'd love to play.

One random question about it... it seems that certain edges can only be taken based on a character's background (like Noble)... but where do you roll up a character's background?

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So this Hellfrost Business, is it similiar to C&C's After Winter's Dark on Ahirde? You know the long winter now thawing or it is it still in the midst of the winter?
KJSEvans wrote:
Treebore wrote:I'm still trying to either get a Solomon Kane game going, or finding one I can join.

I own the Solomon Kane book... if you want to try to get an online game going, if the night is convenient to me I'd love to play.

One random question about it... it seems that certain edges can only be taken based on a character's background (like Noble)... but where do you roll up a character's background?
I just got all the Solomon Kane stuff as well. I've read Savage Worlds, love the setting, but haven't played it yet, but might be down for giving it a try.