Which Game do you DISLIKE the most.....

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Which Game do you DISLIKE the most.....

Post by LordSeurek »

Not surprising most people on someones thread about fav game being c&c (on a c&c forum) :), but which system have you tried and considered it absolute bollocks?

It is meant as a halfhearted question, but, I do appreciate most people's opinions here and if there is something people collectively dislike, I can bear that in mind for future game hunting....

You don't have to have played in it, just maybe sitting in on a game, or reading thru a rules set, whatever.

For me:

1. D&D 4E: Sat in on several sessions. Didn't like it. Not much new to say that hasn't already been stated here several years ago.

2. Hackmaster: Tried it last year year for I'd say 4-5 sessions. Got too cloggy for me when it came to calculating/recalculating INIT scores every round for every combat. I want a static INIT in combat, with some flexibility.

3. Dark Heresy: Thought I would really like it, paid a fortune for a couple of their core books and it just didn't feel right. I am all for guns and blowing the bejesus out of stuff, but it was to 'loose' for me. I guess I am more into magic/swords vs big guns in rpgs.

Thoughts?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Which Game do you DISLIKE the most.....

Post by Treebore »

Of games that I have actually tried? None were "bad". I had fun with all of them to some extent. Like I don't really like Hackmaster Basic either, but I still have fun playing it, mostly due to being in a good group. The rules are way too "rules lawyer" like for my tastes to be certain, but it also has some great stuff in it as well.

I don't like 4E enough to want to own it or run it, but I had fun playing it, so I would play it again if I didn't have better offers, and so far I have had plenty of better offers.

I like a lot about Warhammer, both 2E and 3E, and again I don't like either one enough to want to run it myself, but I am willing to play it.

I think the only systems I can really say I do not like enough to want to play, not because they are necessarily bad, but more because they are far more of a system than I want to deal with for fun, is Rolemaster and Harn.

Another system that I am having fun playing, but would never want to run because the system has too many big holes in it is Eclipse Phase.

So there are a fair number of systems I will play, but not run, but the only ones I will not play or run is Rolemaster and Harn. Again, not because they are "bad", just far too fiddly for it to remain a game to me.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Palladium is always high on my list. The concept of their Rifts game world is seems like a fun one, but then tack on the Palladium system and it draws away all the goodness. One of the few games that the system overshadows the concept, to a degree that it becomes difficult to enjoy Rifts.

Yeah I could port it to a system I like, but I am too busy/lazy to do such a thing and would just buy something that I don't have to do this.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

Cortex Serenity - I ran a very short campaign but dropped it early on when the clumsiness of the rules and writing was too much for me. From what I've seen, later games have improved quite a bit, but that was the setting I had high hopes for a great RPG for.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I got into Cortex as its own rule book, and I like it a lot. Since we were doing sci fi we used the Serenity stuff for spaceships. They have yet another Cortex book coming out that I am looking forward too.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:Palladium is always high on my list. The concept of their Rifts game world is seems like a fun one, but then tack on the Palladium system and it draws away all the goodness. One of the few games that the system overshadows the concept, to a degree that it becomes difficult to enjoy Rifts.

Yeah I could port it to a system I like, but I am too busy/lazy to do such a thing and would just buy something that I don't have to do this.
Yeah, to make RIFTS worth running/playing I think I had like 6 pages of house rules, maybe it was even longer. Even so it still had problems. But the RIFTS books sure have tons of great ideas.

Paladium Fantasy I had far fewer problems with and it was easy enough to adapt to D&D, and now C&C, and it too has tons of awesome ideas in its supplements. My biggest problem with it is similar to what turns me off to Warhammer, the dodging/blocking type rules make combat drag on too long and make if feel over complicated. Definitely better systems to use it with.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Well for me, 2.5 & 3e D&D has to go pretty high on the list. Plenty of games I don't like I can just shrug and walk away but at a certain point a game I had previously loved changed in ways that meant we grew apart. Sad.

This may seem strange for a guy who has Palladiums TMNT & Other Strangeness on his "like" list but I hate Palladiums Heroes Unlimited.
Palladiums clunkiness could just about be kept in line with TMNT and it's relatively low power levels.

I didn't even mind that the combat got complicated and took a while at higher levels because it was a game about ninjas dammit- the t0 hit/ parry/dodge options mimicked the action of the ninja/kung-fu/samurai movies my brother and I grew up on; Pray for Death, Nine Deaths of the Ninja, Drunken Master, Young master, Enter the Dragon, Black Belt Jones, Hot Potato, Once Upon a Time in China, Shintaro etc etc.

So we were pretty excited to get Heroes Unlimited Revised when we saw it. But man o man was it broken. Absolote Uber characters could be built, 10X more powerful than the TMNT characters it was supposed to mesh with. One character, btb, STARTED at 15th level, in his class description, put it that way.
So yeah, don't really like Heroes Unlimited.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'd have to say;

All things Palladium (just too many rules and convoluted stuff)
4e ('nuff said)
Call of Cthulu
any game based on zombies, vampires, or werewolves. (they've been done ad nauseum)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, to make RIFTS worth running/playing I think I had like 6 pages of house rules, maybe it was even longer. Even so it still had problems. But the RIFTS books sure have tons of great ideas.
Funny thing, Kevin Siembieda plays his own system with a bucket load of house rules. You'd figure the owner would know that the system is broken if he needs to come-up with a host of house-rules to make it playable.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Treebore wrote:Yeah, to make RIFTS worth running/playing I think I had like 6 pages of house rules, maybe it was even longer. Even so it still had problems. But the RIFTS books sure have tons of great ideas.
Funny thing, Kevin Siembieda plays his own system with a bucket load of house rules. You'd figure the owner would know that the system is broken if he needs to come-up with a host of house-rules to make it playable.
That is actually the biggest reason I gave up on RIFTS and Paladium Fantasy. He frickin KNOWS his systems have problems, yet he doesn't give enough of a crap to fix it? OR he claims to fix it, such as Heroes Unlimited mentioned above, and it is even more screwed up?

Yeah, I have no interest in sticking with a company with such screwed up leadership.

I have found one system that I think would be an awesome fit for RIFTS, its the ORE system I found in Wild Talents 2E.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I am aware that this is a highly unpopular opinion, but my least favorite system (that I've played enough to know I dislike) is probably Star Wars SAGA edition. Yeah, I know, everyone else loves it. Well, I don't ;)
I could go in to a list of things I dislike about it but then invariably I would have to hear about how I did it wrong or could do it another way. Bottom line is that I dislike the system enough not to bother learning how to correct the things I dislike about it. I played it with two different groups (and separate GMs) and just don't feel like the rules capture star wars enough for me. Im probably being too picky and no system can ever catch the feel enough for me, who knows.

Having said all of that, I am absolutely sure that there are many games that deserve the tag far more than SW SAGA, but I've not played any of those.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

:D

Yeah, I love SW:Saga

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Palladium and Rolemaster both give me fits. I also really wanted to like Savage Worlds but every time I read the rulebook I want to put it down and play something else. :-(
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Shadowrun (any edition, though 4th is probably the most tolerable, even though it resembles 3E in too many ways). No mechanics in that game feel like high-action, high-technology, or anything. I'm actually miffed that Shadowrun got most of the accolades for the "cyberpunk RPG genre" when Shadowrun is most certainly not cyberpunk.

Rolemaster. Whoa, I'm not sure I ever even played the game. I looked at the rulebook so many times in-game that I missed whatever was happening. MERP was a little bit better. A little bit.

4th edition. Feels like WOW/MMO to me. I don't like WOW/MMO as they are for today's gamer. 4E makes me want to punch a 12-year old across the internets.

GURPS. H-A-T-E... Have played probably a dozen or so games, and I don't care what anybody says, it's not easy, and impossible for a new player to pick up and learn if he is not taught by someone who really understands the game. It's also possible to create a worthless character too easily... same goes with my next DISLIKE selection:

HERO. Mechanics for mechanics sake. When playing this game, do you ever feel like the mechanics are not RIGHT IN YOUR MOTHA-LOVIN' FACE?! Is there any flavor to your characters within the mechanics? No. If there is no role-playing in your HERO group, there is nothing but numbers and mechanics that are too much of a PITA to care about.

Savage Worlds. Man, I just do not like this game. It's not a bad game of playing roles, so in that case it's pretty good. But overall, wow, um, not a game for me.

Deadlands. To gimmicky. The whole game is about mechanical gimmics in my mind. When roleplaying I do not want to be reminded that I am using mechanics to accomplish things. Deadlands constantly reminds me that I am playing a game with it's nifty mechanics. With the right GM who underplays the mechanical aspect to the game, I get into Deadlands a little bit more.

I see Palladium is taking it's bumps here. Never quite understood why that is. In the gaming groups I have been involved with since 1989 or so, we have been playing Palladium stuff off and on since that time. A few people have grumbled, but we have logged hundreds and hundreds of hours playing everything Palladium. I guess this proves that a GM is ultra important to a game as few dozen of us have played, and enjoyed Palladium throughout the decades.

Well, GM's don't seem as important in today's RPGs as they were. There are many facets of current RPGs (3E/4E) that remove large parts of the GM's job.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Treebore wrote::D

Yeah, I love SW:Saga
I knew it! ;)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:...Well, GM's don't seem as important in today's RPGs as they were. There are many facets of current RPGs (3E/4E) that remove large parts of the GM's job...
This is a true story. Even conceptually cool games like The Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard are not as appealing to me due to the large amount of control taken from the GM. Listen: If you're going to play ANY RPG, play it with a GM you can trust to properly administer the rules. Contrariwise, it doesn't matter how much power the players are given BtB, a poor GM is GOING to screw your game up. These DMs/GMs/CKs are to be avoided and your system of choice is less important than your GM and the players with whom you game, IMO.

I, too, have enjoyed many a session of RIFTS. I am by no means oblivious to the fact that the rules are flawed, but my buddy Doug (the guy running said games) was a master of bringing that setting to life. Some of those sessions are the best of any game with any system that I've ever been privileged enough to participate in. I could practically smell the grease leaking from the ambulating limbs of the spider skull walker and feel the glitter boy's anchoring support struts deploy with earth-shaking swiftness. Good times.
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Breakdaddy wrote:Some of those sessions are the best of any game with any system that I've ever been privileged enough to participate in. I could practically smell the grease leaking from the ambulating limbs of the spider skull walker and feel the glitter boy's anchoring support struts deploy with earth-shaking swiftness.
EX-ACTLY! But...

...that is not to say that GMs who are not quite that good, do not deserve a shot. No GM was put on this rock with the perfect ability to administer a collection of rules and form a story. GMs NEED practice. GMs NEED experience. Let them run some games and attempt to learn the finer qualities of the art. And it is so much an artform to GM. But in know uncertain terms does that mean you have to sit back and suffer through long periods of terrible GMing. Try to convince people to run some game, then play, then run, then play. After X period of time the GM needs to process the information learned while running his game, by PLAYING. Then, jumping back into the driver's seat and running again.

Support you GMs!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote:Some of those sessions are the best of any game with any system that I've ever been privileged enough to participate in. I could practically smell the grease leaking from the ambulating limbs of the spider skull walker and feel the glitter boy's anchoring support struts deploy with earth-shaking swiftness.
EX-ACTLY! But...

...that is not to say that GMs who are not quite that good, do not deserve a shot. No GM was put on this rock with the perfect ability to administer a collection of rules and form a story. GMs NEED practice. GMs NEED experience. Let them run some games and attempt to learn the finer qualities of the art. And it is so much an artform to GM. But in know uncertain terms does that mean you have to sit back and suffer through long periods of terrible GMing. Try to convince people to run some game, then play, then run, then play. After X period of time the GM needs to process the information learned while running his game, by PLAYING. Then, jumping back into the driver's seat and running again.

Support you GMs!

~O
I agree. Hell, I'm living proof. I am a middling GM for Tournament games. I like to think I'm actually a very good GM for extended campaign style play. We all have strengths and weaknesses as GMs, and some of us just need some practice to get to where we need to be as a GM. I'm all about supporting any GM who is doing his best to be fair and to learn how to properly administer the game.
-Genghis Khan

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Omote wrote:Shadowrun (any edition, though 4th is probably the most tolerable, even though it resembles 3E in too many ways). No mechanics in that game feel like high-action, high-technology, or anything. I'm actually miffed that Shadowrun got most of the accolades for the "cyberpunk RPG genre" when Shadowrun is most certainly not cyberpunk.
Couldn't agree more. It is like everyone has forgotten what Cyberpunk is.

I also found that it is very easy for one character to dominate the play. And, to play a hacker with the RL players is anything but smooth. Most people just sit around bored waiting for it to flip back to where they are.
Omote wrote:EX-ACTLY! But...

Support you GMs!

~O
This might be part of the reason why D&D 4e is so popular. GM's really don't need to spread their wings when combat is 4 hours miniature rules. You don't need much imagination to do that, except to come up with filler for the next battle.

And, yes I know that 4e has roleplaying aspects and there are groups out there, with good DM's that bring that more to the fore... but the rules themselves really are combat orientated.
Breakdaddy wrote:I agree. Hell, I'm living proof. I am a middling GM for Tournament games. I like to think I'm actually a very good GM for extended campaign style play. We all have strengths and weaknesses as GMs, and some of us just need some practice to get to where we need to be as a GM. I'm all about supporting any GM who is doing his best to be fair and to learn how to properly administer the game.
So, true. I'm not all that great with modules, but I shine with the improve/seat-of-your-pants type GMing.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Right now, all of them.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

For me...

4E - I have the core books, and I've read them. I've enjoyed every other edition of D&D... and though I haven't played 4E, I just don't like what I've read.

Hackmaster Basic - I love Hackmaster... even though it is convoluted. But I was real disappointed with what they did with Basic. Not for me.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

4E: Read the rules, seemed to be not of my liking. The more I read / hear, the more I am adverse to playing it. I quit being a hater long ago. It's detremental to our community to feel superior to other players due to the system they play, but 4E just seems so far from what Gary made so many years ago. Kind of like how Elvis would look at today's music if he were still alive (or should I say, if he were allowed to talk since he IS still alive!).
LordSeurek wrote: 3. Dark Heresy: Thought I would really like it, paid a fortune for a couple of their core books and it just didn't feel right. I am all for guns and blowing the bejesus out of stuff, but it was to 'loose' for me. I guess I am more into magic/swords vs big guns in rpgs.
If me and you were near each other, I'd slap you in the face with a silk glove and challenge you to a duel, my friend! I frickin' love Dark Heresy. And Breakdaddy is an awesome GM at that game, which makes it that much better.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I also admit that I was flabergasted to see Dark Heresy mentioned as a disliked game. I guess I can understand if you are not a fan of the genre, that makes sense. I also think that Dark Heresy is the shazbot. The writers definitely got the feel of the WH40K setting down to a science with that game, and in some rights, moreso than with Rogue Trader of Deatchwatch IMO.

That Dark Heresy book, Dark Heresy: Blood of Martyrs is SOOOO FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

I would say Dark Heresy but its really that entire line of games although I love Warhammer Fantasy 2E. Too rules heavy by a looong shot for me.

Pathfinder- Ok,I love the adventures,love the paths ect.. but come on the game is soo damn rules heavy you need two players just to carry it around. I run a Pathfinder weekly game right now and I want to claw my own eyeballs out. It was fine for a while but now............im sick to death of the 3.5 X 3 rules heavy crap. Soon as this game is over im selling my books and going native for good in rules lite land.

Hero- The only rule book I did not even bother to open after first skimming it when I got it for X-mass. Its like a foot thick for gods sake.

Star Wars Saga- Again I own almost every book for it because I have people buy them for me for gifts for my birthday and X-mass. OMFG can anyone suck the joy and thrill of star wars out more then saga did it? Really the system for force powers was so stupid not to mention getting force points back...ugg what a waste. Also I would never run it as the people wanting to play are star wars experts who would want to play in a official SW version of the universe only and would know 2000% more than I.

Paranoia- Only because it seemed like such a good game and I want to play it so bad and I have never had a player willing to play it with me. I feel tortured by this game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

GameOgre wrote:Paranoia- Only because it seemed like such a good game and I want to play it so bad and I have never had a player willing to play it with me. I feel tortured by this game.

At least your already playing it right.

:lol:

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Put down another one for Hackmaster Basic. It's the most inappropriately named RPG out there. ;-)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Frost wrote:Put down another one for Hackmaster Basic. It's the most inappropriately named RPG out there. ;-)
Now think what the final version is going to look like! Speaking of which, is Hackmaster dead? I thought the regular version of Hackmaster was supposed to be released already?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Rolemaster was my game of choice for many years!
But then again...I made it my game. It's only as complicated as you allow it to be.

I won't call out any names but the game they are calling D&D comes to mind.

Pretty much any game that tries to be a hybrid or market gimmick "catch them all" sort of thing.
Any game that charges big prices for a bunch or counters, special dice, cards full color glossies with drivel in the text, and "core" books that come at 50 bucks a pop!

Give me pen...paper...dice...then bugger off!

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Almost forgot my least favorite game.

The game of Life and all it's intellectual dishonesty.

We are so used to being fed a pile of crap spun as wholesome that we don't even recognize spin when we see/hear it for ourselves. Everything is emoted...exaggerated...and misrepresented to the point that it makes me sick! We blind ourselves to the truth and only perceive what we want to see.

At least there are fantasy games where I can kill my enemy and support my ally without a bunch of cowardly spin.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

GameOgre wrote:Paranoia- Only because it seemed like such a good game and I want to play it so bad and I have never had a player willing to play it with me. I feel tortured by this game.
If you do, this game requires a few things for it to be enjoyable;
  1. The Players need to be experience.
  2. The Players must be willing to accept the non-traditional play that makes Paranoia so great.
  3. 'The Players should go into it knowing to trust no one and try to keep their secrets well hidden.
  4. The Players must realize that the GM/Computer is against them.
  5. The GM should be a experienced, well-rounded GM.
Treebore wrote:At least your already playing it right.
That sounds traitorous citizen, report the re-education centre near you!
Omote wrote:Now think what the final version is going to look like! Speaking of which, is Hackmaster dead? I thought the regular version of Hackmaster was supposed to be released already?
When I was just over there, they only have the Basic set available. Not much support either. You'd figure that the advanced book would be out by now.