0e and my neverending loup

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
mordrene
Ulthal

0e and my neverending loup

Post by mordrene »

So i have recently recaught the 0e bug. I have reread the 3lbb with greyhalk and blackmoor. I am stalking my dungeons and creating a kingdom to campaign in. Then it occurred to me, as im reading the rules additions, its just bascally holmes and 1e. now my loup has me with the 1e players guide and dmg looking over charts and replanning my campaign. Then, it occurs to me, heah, I have this nifty new CKG, why am i not using it. So, I break out my C&C stuff and my previously created material and look how everything I have been working on fits perfectly in a Haunted Highlands campaign. So I settle on this when the LBBs start calling out, "remember us?" Thus this ugly cycle begins again. Please someone HELP ME.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: 0e and my neverending loup

Post by Treebore »

Its possible to use them all.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's a tough dilemma to have, for sure. However, go with your heart. Play what will make you and your players happiest. Go and game!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I feel your pain, chieftain. I have gone back and forth between 0e and C&C more than a few times. I even ran a 3lbb game at Troll Con last year. I don't really care about 1st edition or 2nd edition AD&D anymore and couldn't care much less about the 3rd/4th editions of D&D than I already do but, for whatever reason, the 3lbb still call to me. Anyhow, I usually settle on C&C because it's in print, easy to grasp, has fewer "holes" in the rules that might need addressing, and is just as easy to expand. None of this stops me from loving the occasional 0e game, of course.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

moriarty777 and I have something coming out soon that might help all of us who are kind of torn between OD&D and C&C.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:moriarty777 and I have something coming out soon that might help all of us who are kind of torn between OD&D and C&C.
Might that be hmmm.....what might that be.......could it be....Delving Deeper?

Seriously looking forward to this especially in light of your recent blog post about it being a serious of books and all that. Any more insight for us on that.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:moriarty777 and I have something coming out soon that might help all of us who are kind of torn between OD&D and C&C.
Do you have a tentative release date?

Edit: i saw you are shiping on April First. What about a release date for x-plorers?

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

We mix EVERYTHING now. My son is trying something so nutty I just do not know what its going to be like.

He is mixing OD&D(3 little brown books) with 4E(yeah you just read that right).

He has 0E as base and adding in healing surges,a few encounter abilities ect.. with 4E's take on solo,elites ect...

No clue how it will play but hell im game. Long as i don't have to DM it I'll try anything.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

mordrene wrote:What about a release date for x-plorers?
The Player's Guide is ready-to-go, just waiting for a few more pieces of art. :)
TheMetal1 wrote:
Might that be hmmm.....what might that be.......could it be....Delving Deeper?

Seriously looking forward to this especially in light of your recent blog post about it being a serious of books and all that. Any more insight for us on that.
Can't say just yet. There will be an announcement soon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

GameOgre wrote: Long as i don't have to DM it I'll try anything.
Yep. The down side is that has turned me into a fan of a lot of games. Which is why I always seem to need more and more book shelves.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
mordrene wrote:What about a release date for x-plorers?
The Player's Guide is ready-to-go, just waiting for a few more pieces of art. :)
very cool. glad i vented, now i can obsess on something else.

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

I've always thought it'd be fun to run a mega 3/3.5 campaign using all of the books - Eberron, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, FR, Kalamar, Oriental Adventures, not to mention the many class books that came out - to see how all of the player classes would mix.

Another fun experiment I wish I could run would be to attempt to run a campaign that begins with 0 or 1E and spans all the editions.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

KJSEvans wrote:I've always thought it'd be fun to run a mega 3/3.5 campaign using all of the books - Eberron, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, FR, Kalamar, Oriental Adventures, not to mention the many class books that came out - to see how all of the player classes would mix.

Another fun experiment I wish I could run would be to attempt to run a campaign that begins with 0 or 1E and spans all the editions.
There is a word for that. Is it Masochist? Sadist? Can't remember.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I take what I like, mess around with the rest, but really fondle what gives back.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Breakdaddy wrote:I feel your pain, chieftain. I have gone back and forth between 0e and C&C more than a few times. I even ran a 3lbb game at Troll Con last year. I don't really care about 1st edition or 2nd edition AD&D anymore and couldn't care much less about the 3rd/4th editions of D&D than I already do but, for whatever reason, the 3lbb still call to me. Anyhow, I usually settle on C&C because it's in print, easy to grasp, has fewer "holes" in the rules that might need addressing, and is just as easy to expand. None of this stops me from loving the occasional 0e game, of course.
This is pretty much my feeling as well. OD&D is my favorite edition to read and discuss, but C&C is usually my go-to rules set to play.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

KJSEvans
Mist Elf

Post by KJSEvans »

Treebore wrote:
KJSEvans wrote:I've always thought it'd be fun to run a mega 3/3.5 campaign using all of the books - Eberron, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, FR, Kalamar, Oriental Adventures, not to mention the many class books that came out - to see how all of the player classes would mix.

There is a word for that. Is it Masochist? Sadist? Can't remember.
Nah. The word is "epic." Unfortunately - or fortunately, perhaps - I'm too busy focusing on HackMaster to do anything with all that... :)

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Breakdaddy wrote:I feel your pain, chieftain. I have gone back and forth between 0e and C&C more than a few times. I even ran a 3lbb game at Troll Con last year. I don't really care about 1st edition or 2nd edition AD&D anymore and couldn't care much less about the 3rd/4th editions of D&D than I already do but, for whatever reason, the 3lbb still call to me. Anyhow, I usually settle on C&C because it's in print, easy to grasp, has fewer "holes" in the rules that might need addressing, and is just as easy to expand. None of this stops me from loving the occasional 0e game, of course.
Now i have discovered savage worlds. Heaven help me. :shock:

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

mordrene wrote:
Now i have discovered savage worlds. Heaven help me. :shock:
HAHAHAHA! I love me some Savage Worlds as well. You're totally screwed when you start finding some of the excellent "Savaged" settings and supplements. Solomon Kane, Hellfrost, the Fantasy Player's Companion....
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan