GURPS Conan is back...

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

GURPS Conan is back...

Post by TheMetal1 »

Up until yesterday, my knowledge of Conan as an RPG or in games consisted of TSR's AD&D Modules, Mongoose's Conan RPG (1E and 2E), FFG's Conan Board Game and SJGames Conan for Munchkin. And of course the old play by mail Hyboreian age game, which I read about in comic books but never played and think there might have been a CCG out there as well. EDIT:

I figured I'd just do a search to see what Conan games were out there, here is the Wikipedia list, enjoy...
Video gamesSeven video games have been released based on the Conan mythos.

In 1984, Datasoft released Conan: Hall of Volta for the Apple II, Atari 800, and the Commodore 64.
In 1989, Mindscape, Inc. released Conan for the NES.
In 1991, Mindscape released Conan: The Mysteries of Time for NES, a Commodore 64 port by System 3.
In 1991, Virgin Games and Synergistic released Conan: The Cimmerian for Amiga and DOS.
In 2004, TDK Mediactive released Conan, a third-person action game for Windows and consoles.
In 2007, THQ and Nihilistic released Conan, a third-person action game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
In 2008, Funcom released Age of Conan, a massively multiplayer online role-playing video game (MMORPG) on May 20 in the US and May 23 in Europe.

Collectible card gamesIn 2006, Comic Images released the Conan Collectible Card Game designed by Jason Robinette.

Board games
In 2009, Fantasy Flight Games released the Age of Conan strategy board game, depicting warfare between the Hyborian nations in which Conan adventures.

Role-playing games
TSR signed a license agreement in 1984 to publish the Conan game.[24]

Two modules for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons:
CB1 Conan Unchained! (1984)
CB2 Conan Against Darkness! (1984)

Conan Role-Playing Game (1985) by TSR, Inc., and 3 official game adventures:
CN1 Conan the Buccaneer (1985)
CN2 Conan the Mercenary (1985)
CN3 Conan Triumphant (1985)

Three Endless Quest books by TSR, published in the eighties, allow the reader to play the role of Conan.

GURPS Conan, a GURPS version by Steve Jackson Games. Steve Jackson Games published several adventures separately for this RPG version.

Conan: The Roleplaying Game (2004), an OGL version by Mongoose Publishing, with many supplements.

Play-by-mail games
Hyborian War, hosted by Reality Simulations Inc., is a play-by-mail game set in the Hyborian Age.
So, yesterday, I ran into a thread over at the big purple, it was an older one talking about the TSR Conan game. In case you're interested, here is the linK:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?206 ... n-by-Crom!

As mentioned earlier, I knew about the AD&D Conan Adventure modules, but apparently there was an actual box set, with the same universal color chart mechanic as Marvel Super Heroes and Later editions of Star Frontiers and Gamma World. I was even further suprised to learn that GURPs had released several Conan books. Seemed like some cool stuff to check out in the future and I got busy with other things.

Anyway, so today I go over to SJ Games and they have on their front page an announcment that their GURPS Conan stuff is will be released as PDFs, starting with this:

GURPS Conan wrote: CONAN

The Greatest Hero of the Hyborian Age Was a Barbarian: Conan of Cimmeria!

Black-haired and sullen-eyed was Conan, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth. Cycles of legend revolve around his name, glimpses of a world before history, where evil wizards performed dark sorcery, and where the fate of an empire turned on the strength and skill of a single sword.

GURPS Conan lets you enter the Hyborian Age, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles across the stars . . . Zamora, with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery; Zingara with its chivalry; Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs; Hyrkania whose riders wore steel, silk, and gold; and powerful Aquilonia, the proudest kingdom of the world.

GURPS Conan includes:

•A gazetteer featuring the people, customs, laws, religion, and mysteries of 34 lands in the world of Conan.
•A bibliography of Conan stories: names, races and nationalities, places, and more.
•Maps and historical information for the entire Thurian continent, from the isles of Antilla to the coast of Khitai.
•Spells of the Hyborian Age, including the enchantments of the mysterious Black Ring and the potent sorceries of the Book of Skelos.
•Rules for generating Hyborian Age characters.
•Advice on running a Hyborian Age campaign and how to roleplay the non-human races, including Degenerate Men, Serpent People, and Satyrs.
•GURPS stats for characters from the Conan saga, including Conan, Bêlit, and Thoth-Amon.

Based on the Conan stories by Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp, and others.
PDF is $9.99, here is the link: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/conan/
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria