Skyrealms of Jorune

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Skyrealms of Jorune

Post by alcyone »

Just received everything Chessex had for Skyrealms of Jorune except for Innocents of Gauss which is sold out. Lots of stuff to read. Love the art, always looked like a fun game somewhere between Tekumel, Numenera, Arcana Unearthed, Talislanta and John Carter of Mars. One of the few but too many games you can't buy in PDF.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Aramis
Lore Drake

Re: Skyrealms of Jorune

Post by Aramis »

My Dragon magazine CD archive is full of wonderful ads for things like Dragon Dice and Jorune

Who wouldn't want to adventure there? I will play a three eyed chest-mouthed Kerplak! :lol:

Talislanta was similar, with their tagline "No Elves"

I own both, but have never played either one.

I have a feeling they would be a bit tricky to GM immersively. Their very oddness would make it difficult because the GM would have to know the world pretty thoroughly before he could GM "without a net". To the player, everything seems exotic and new, but to the GM everything is strange and difficult to keep straight and use fluidly.

It's not too hard to start an adventure in generic Fantasyland by declaring "an elf and a dwarf have been hired by a merchant to transport mithril arrows when they are ambushed by three ogres and a dragon". Everyone is up to speed pretty quickly.

Whereas if you say "a Kerplak and a Tau-mnu have been bond-ensorcelled by a Myranian Paintspinner to transport Aldanian marachos when they are ambushed by three Drogals and a Alfian" the GM better be sure that Drogals and Alfians are monsters who might work together (and are not, respectively, a unit of currency from the south and a delectable dessert treat ;) )

Good stuff though

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Jorune is yet another one of those RPG/settings that intrigued me, but never got into. Which is fine, I already have my "plate" so full of RPG's I struggle to get to play them all as it is.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Aramis wrote: I have a feeling they would be a bit tricky to GM immersively. Their very oddness would make it difficult because the GM would have to know the world pretty thoroughly before he could GM "without a net". To the player, everything seems exotic and new, but to the GM everything is strange and difficult to keep straight and use fluidly.
Exactly, it's sort of the same trouble I have with Numenera. But, they do give you sort of a head start. Like in Tekumel where you are pretty much nobody without citizenship (or the cloak tearing thing in Mystara), you have sort of an underlying theme of gaining Drennship, in which you need to do jobs or people who do have it, and get their mark to increase your reputation, without which you can't own land, gain access to high level tech, etc.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

The first and second editions of this game are available as free downloads here:

http://skyrealmsofjorune.com

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Kayolan wrote:The first and second editions of this game are available as free downloads here:

That's pretty exciting. I still want to play this sometime. From what I've seen the Chessex version makes the most sense, but really, I'd probably try to run it with rules I am familiar with.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Kayolan wrote:The first and second editions of this game are available as free downloads here:

Awesome, thanks for the link. Many may already be aware, but Talislanta is also largely free thanks to the publisher:

http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Matt Finch's RPG Studio - Jorune with Joe Adams and Steve Devanay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEKs-hlNZ74

Lots of links to content as well, 1st-3rd edition plus fan material.

Ural_4320
Henchman

Post by Ural_4320 »

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm not sold yet, but that's the kind of stuff I'd buy without issues after trying a game with a friend or someone I know. The universe does look interesting, with its original touches!