Importing Villain Groups from City of Heroes

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Importing Villain Groups from City of Heroes

Post by Go0gleplex »

I've been playing City of Heroes like crazy the last several days since finding that it had been resurrected from dead server land. It struck me that some villain groups from City of Heroes that would likely transfer to C&C/D&D rather well (and maybe even AA)...in name if not in concept. The main five for C&C are;

1) Circle of Thorns: Cult of Demon worshipping mages that forcibly transplant the souls of their ancient dead into new hosts to repopulate their ancient city hidden deep in the underdark.

2) The Skulls: A gang of grave robbers ran by necromancers. They fund their activities by various crimes and as an initiation, must dig up a body and take the face portion of the skull to wear as their new face (a mask...but yeah...gross).

3) The Clockwork: A group of golems that steal materials from all over, killing those that oppose them, to create more of their own kind; originally created by a mad alchemist obsessed with his toys whom was reportedly killed long ago. Only to be found to have had his brain transplanted into a new golem body making him semi-immortal.

4) The Carnival of Light; of Shadows; of War: Three groups of performers that were once one before an internal schism caused them to separate. The Carnival of Shadows are a group of Psionics whom perform for the crowd...while at the same time committing many crimes and seducing the young nobility into their ranks within the area all to fulfill the hedonistic whims of their Queen.The Carnival of War are a group of performers that use their psionic powers to spur the nobility to war, thriving in the blood and chaos as they seek to perfect their martial arts to better protect their War Queen, yet they seek not lands to settle...but merely new foes to war against. The Carnival of Light: A more moderate faction of psionics that seeks to restore the balance of the world so that all can live in safety as equals...only they do not limit themselves in what the see as necessary to achieve this goal.

5) The Vhazilok: A group of Necromancers/Alchemists/Evil Priests that seek immortality thru construction of the perfect human form. They kill the living to harvest body parts and resurrect the dead to serve as troops to rob others and as guardians of their lairs as they build their 'frankenstein'-like constructs to eventually transfer their own souls into.

The other groups such as the Syndicate, Council, Warriors, Tsoo, 5th Column, The Lost, Outcasts, Hellions, and Arachnos would definitely be more AA level stuff. They have images of many of the villain group mobs on the CoH-Homecoming wiki pages for the curious. Currently its free to play as well. ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Importing Villain Groups from City of Heroes

Post by maximus »

I have a loosely put together group of Orcus worshippers in my campaign that serve as the party's main antagonists, but I'd like to tighten it up by detailing more than just the main villain. There's some good ideas here, thanks!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Go0gleplex, thanks for the tip on City of Heroes! I didn't realize it made a return. Good news! I'll need to try it out along with Warhammer Age of Reckoning,
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

No problem dude. :) I typically hang out on Triumph though I have a small presence on Excelsior, mainly red side there.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I've been running Call of Cthulhu Delta Green over the last year for my girls' game and starting a Traveller game for them, so 'villain groups' are a key part of them. the girls brushed up against a cult of South American Vampire/Demon worshipers, another group of Ratlings, and then some Snake worshipers, They would have become more developed if we would have kept going.

Even in D&D (a little less so in my more historical looking or Tolkienesk games) I love political entanglements. I remember when the ole Waterdeep boxed set came out back in the day, and fell in love with urban adventures 9at least equally in love with them to normal D&D Forgotten Realms type adventures). Those urban setting must have political things going on, so with that ALL of those Villan Groups would be great.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society