Swords & Wizardry???

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

The only OSR game I've picked up was LL. While the presentation was pretty nice, it languishes on my shelf untouched.

I've got several copies of BECMI sets as well as the RC, so when I want to play some classic D&D those are what I use.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

The RC is fire indeed.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Now that I'm the caretaker of WhiteBox, I will be helping it move more and more toward the 3LBBS and less like S&W: Core Rules. I think there is a small place in the market for a good, solid, clone of the 3LBBS.

John Adams

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

How much do you have to change from what youve already got to get to the 3lbb rules that you want?
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Hey DD, you going to be at the NTX RPG con this year? I'm running a Holmes Basic game that sunday and you're welcome to join if interested.

SigilWraith
Mist Elf

Post by SigilWraith »

What are the main differences between S&W and LL? Also, what is the closest modern, in-print (or POD) thing out there to the ol' D&D Rules Cyclopedia (which if I remember correctly was an amalgamation of BECMI)? Does anything come close?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

sieg wrote:
Hey DD, you going to be at the NTX RPG con this year? I'm running a Holmes Basic game that sunday and you're welcome to join if interested.

NTX RPG Con is up in the air right now for me. I'm supposed to work through most of it and they are real stingy with my time off right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though, the location is only about 2hrs away for me.

If I can make it I'm definitely interested in the game.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Breakdaddy wrote:
How much do you have to change from what youve already got to get to the 3lbb rules that you want?

Well, S&W:Core Rules are based much more upon Supplement I: Greyhawk and a few of the others. I intend to expand upon WB reflecting what OD&D might have been like if the supplements had never come along. That's kind of a vague answer, but it is the plan.

John Adams

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

SigilWraith wrote:
What are the main differences between S&W and LL? Also, what is the closest modern, in-print (or POD) thing out there to the ol' D&D Rules Cyclopedia (which if I remember correctly was an amalgamation of BECMI)? Does anything come close?

S&W is based on OD&D - the little brown books.

LL is based on Basic/Expoert D&D.

LL is the closest thing to the Rules Cyclopedia, but mostly covering B/E and not the CMI parts.

Greywolf
Skobbit

Post by Greywolf »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
Now that I'm the caretaker of WhiteBox, I will be helping it move more and more toward the 3LBBS and less like S&W: Core Rules. I think there is a small place in the market for a good, solid, clone of the 3LBBS.

I have told people that the WB version of S&W is probably the most important of all the retroclones. Why? One can easily find OOP core books for AD&D 1st or Basic D&D or other classic games of D&D for sale for very reasonable prices. The little brown books of OD&D take more work to find and cost a ridiculous amount. So S&W allows people to experience D&D in the original way who otherwise would not.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Um... OSR newb here...

what"s 3LBBS ?

WTf? I'm SOL w/o a Clue.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Dagger
Red Cap

Post by Dagger »

Relaxo wrote:
Um... OSR newb here...

what"s 3LBBS ?

WTf? I'm SOL w/o a Clue.

You didn't get your OSR membership card yet? Dost thou accept descending armor class as the one true way?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Relaxo wrote:
what"s 3LBBS ?

Three little brown books.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Relaxo wrote:
Um... OSR newb here...

what"s 3LBBS ?

WTf? I'm SOL w/o a Clue.
http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-obox.htm

3LBBs= three little brown books

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Ok Thanks!

those ARE old skool!
Bill D.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Anybody here have the World of Onn core rules? It's started as a supplement for S&W, but it now has it's own core rule book. From what I here, it' pretty cool OSR stuff. I am tempted to get it.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

A quick word about the S&W Whitebox, which I have received and gone over a couple of times now. I have done a direct comparison to the 3LBBs and have to say that it does capture the feel of the LBBs even if it does not replicate the rules in their entirety. The most noticeable changes are the combination of the 5 saving throws into one saving throw and changes to the Hit Die tables for the 3 classes as well as changes to the To-Hit charts. The latter two changes are quite minor but the saving throw change is quite a shift. Another tweak is the addition of rules to utilize ascending AC in addition to the default rules. The spell lists also show minor differences (such as alter time replacing both slow and haste). These differences arent bad at all, just different. Overall, I'd have to say that S&W Whitebox is a faithful representation of the spirit of OD&D and is a welcome addition to my bookshelf. Any errors made in this overview are entirely my fault and are off the top of my head so please correct me if I've misrepresented something here. Finarvyn is the creator of the White Box version of S&W and Coleston is caretaker of the physical product. Either of these gents should be able to enlighten us further if asked.
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Piperdog wrote:
Anybody here have the World of Onn core rules? It's started as a supplement for S&W, but it now has it's own core rule book. From what I here, it' pretty cool OSR stuff. I am tempted to get it.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this. Who produces it?
-Genghis Khan

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Breakdaddy wrote:
A quick word about the S&W Whitebox, which I have received and gone over a couple of times now. I have done a direct comparison to the 3LBBs and have to say that it does capture the feel of the LBBs even if it does not replicate the rules in their entirety. The most noticeable changes are the combination of the 5 saving throws into one saving throw and changed to the Hit Die tables for the 3 classes as well as changes to the To-Hit charts. The latter two changes are quite minor but the saving throw change is quite a shift. Another tweak is the addition of rules to utilize ascending AC in addition to the default rules. The spell lists also show minor differences (such as alter time replacing both slow and haste). These differences arent bad at all, just different. Overall, I'd have to say that S&W Whitebox is a faithful representation of the spirit of OD&D and is a welcome addition to my bookshelf. Any errors made in this overview are entirely my fault and are off the top of my head so please correct me if I've misrepresented something here. Finarvyn is the creator of the White Box version of S&W and Coleston is caretaker of the physical product. Either of these gents should be able to enlighten us further if asked.

Thanks!

John Adams

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:
Thanks!

You're welcome. I neglected to mention that the physical product is well put together with attractive packaging. The digest box art conveys the OD&D feel and the 4 LWBs(little white books) are well organized with nice artwork on the covers.
-Genghis Khan

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Quit making me want one!

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Quit making me want one!

+1
Bill D.

Taranthyll
Red Cap

Post by Taranthyll »

I just got the email this morning - my whitebox has shipped!

I've got Tom Petty's 'The Waiting' going through my head, but that will change to Wang Chung's 'Everybody Have Fun Tonight' once it arrives.

- The Tick

qstor
Ungern

Post by qstor »

I have C&C, ORSIC, and S&W probably cause I like collecting RPGs
Mike

Marcus B5
"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom."
--G'Kar from “Babylon 5”

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

I have the new shiny white box and it is some awesome gaming goodness! If you don't have one for your collection...get it...now!
Winter is coming...

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

hedgeknight wrote:
I have the new shiny white box and it is some awesome gaming goodness! If you don't have one for your collection...get it...now!

It's quite nice. There are only two other box sets I've opened up that grin like kid in recent years: The limited box set that Elf Lair Game put out for "Spellcraft & Swordplay" (especially the wooden dice) and the C&C collector's white box.

Personally, I think the White Box edition of Sword & Sorcery is just too awesome to pass up.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Thanks guys. I've learned a great deal creating the WB Boxed Sets. And that will make BHP's future boxed sets (including another print run of them in the fall) a whole lot better (and shipped on time).

John Adams

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I still need to get one of these, if they're available. Guess I should not have spent all my money on other stuff.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Ok, just who in the heck publishes S&W???

I have seen more than one name associated to the game...what gives?

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Brave Halfling takes care of the White Box.

Black Blade Publishing Handles the Core Set.

However versions of both can be found on Lulu.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06